Production VW ID. Buzz (Modern T1 Microbus) Revealed

Waiting list longer than ID.4 I'm sure.

This is going to be the new 1998 New Beetle for VW, waitlist for days for first few years then hot selling for a couple more until the fad wears off then it will just become another car you can buy.

US Spec version. Longer wheelbase, 3 row seating, 91kWh battery, RWD based (with newer APP550 motor), AWD available. ~ 260 mile range.

IMG_9655.jpeg

IMG_9656.jpeg

Yay,
Going to be awesome. Can you imagine if young people start putting curtains up in the windows? *LOL*
Good for VW, maybe they understand that much of this world does not want to be shoehorned into compact and sub compact EV's.
I think GM understands this too but as everything GM they got to get things rolling off the assembly lines, I think once they do ...

Very cool, I like it. I think VW is going to be the dominant EV maker in a few years. Others are catching up but VW is really firing on all cylinders (or should I say no cylinders?) with the current lineup. Tesla was cool but too expensive, and reliability/build quality is terrible, as is trying to get service. Now that the big boys are getting in the game in a big way they'll bring actual manufacturing and reliability design engineering to the table.

Except that they haven't. They are well behind in design.

So far the "big boys" aren't actually anything other than late.

They aren't competitive from a drivetrain standpoint most importantly - mpkwh and repetitive fast charge while retaining control of cabin temps.

VW is struggling mightily with its software.

In many cases the coachwork is better, but not always some of the mach e's have been just awful.

There is a lot on the generals shoulders right now, but sadly the pre ship spec is already behind the leaders, but well have to wait to see what the curve looks like.

(ugh, I see the OP posted this already, I didnt notice the VW link and my eyes focused on the YouTube)
Here is the timeline and much information from VW;

Important anticipated dates

• Start of European ID. Buzz Cargo production: first half of 2022
  • Start of European ID. Buzz production: first half of 2022
  • European launch (initial countries): third quarter of 2022
  • Start of advance sales in Europe (initial countries): May 2022
  • North American debut of long wheelbase: 2023
  • North American sales launch: 2024

Last edited:
On short trip, especially camping trips the Buzz is going to be awesome on a 621 mile trip at 74 MPH its going to add at least an hour to what an ICE car can do it in.

Reference ICE time on this is 9:30
Top performing EV's 9:50
Buzz time 10:30

I'm certain it's going to be enormously popular and fun. It's just not a competitive EV from a trip standpoint.

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 7.10.05 AM.png

Last edited:
Better mileage? At current gas prices an ID4 or Buzz would probably cost $6-$10 per charge, and close to $100 for one refill on a Sienna or Grand Caravan. Yeah the entry cost might be a little higher but the medium-long term savings on gas are substantial.
$100???? Ummm ... no ... maybe $50 for a full tank that was on empty, like I do with my mid size SUV. Convenience has its price, I chose convenience at the present time, though we are spoiled by dirt cheap electric in North Carolina. I truly do not care about the price of gas, though its fun that its so cheap both gas and electric here.

If one does the math compares electric rates to the state where EVs are popular, well, never mind :)

Better mileage? At current gas prices an ID4 or Buzz would probably cost $6-$10 per charge, and close to $100 for one refill on a Sienna or Grand Caravan. Yeah the entry cost might be a little higher but the medium-long term savings on gas are substantial.
That’s just not so anymore. 50c per KWh on non home based chargers and 2 miles per KWh for SUV EV’s mean 25c per mile any way you slice it.

That’s just not so anymore. 50c per KWh on non home based chargers and 2 miles per KWh for SUV EV’s mean 25c per mile any way you slice it.
I had no idea it was 50 cents kWh, it only cost $50 to fill a 18 gallon Sienna tank in SC or NC
Granted I only pay 10 cents kWh at my house 24 hours a day. I cant help but feel NC and SC does something better than some other states that are 300% or more costly for electric. Something for those in those states to ask why.

One must keep in mind gasoline price has remained about the same for this last 50 years, we are only getting started on EV chargers, I think its a sure thing prices will go up from there as everyone tries to make money on this new found "fuel" stations.
Including all your taxing state, local and federal governments.

Last edited:
I had no idea it was 50 cents kWh, it only cost $50 to fill a 18 gallon Sienna tank in SC or NC
Granted I only pay 10 cents kWh at my house 24 hours a day. I cant help but feel NC and SC does something better than some other states that are 300% or more costly for electric. Something for those in those states to ask why.

One must keep in mind gasoline price has remained about the same for this last 50 years, we are only getting started on EV chargers, I think its a sure thing prices will go up from there as everyone tries to make money on this new found "fuel" stations.
Including all your taxing state, local and federal governments.
Oh the short term memory... A year ago gas was over $4.50/gallon here in NC. And it'll get there again. The days of permanently cheap gas are long gone.

Oh the short term memory... A year ago gas was over $4.50/gallon here in NC. And it'll get there again. The days of permanently cheap gas are long gone.
Are peaks and valleys unusual ? No
Average Gasoline price cost almost the same as the last 40 years taking into account inflation. Oh how people forget it's not only the gas but the taxes that also have gone up.
Where you think $4,50 is expensive is actually the norm in many parts of the West Coast, ummm ... taxes and agendas

Here is a chart, scroll down to the inflation adjusted numbers, it's pretty much unchanged in 40 years. One thing this chart doesnt point out and the governments do not constantly remind you is taxes have been raised on gasoline, some states more than others and why the disparity. So in reality gas has gone up even less than the numbers posted on this page because they are not pointing out the increase in taxes over 40 years.

Let's not forget the "hidden" taxes on the industry itself, prevalent on the West Coast further adding to the cost, no politics in here just throughly read the CNBC story regarding that. Granted it was published in 2021 but let's face it, its over 40 years of history.

Safe to say, average gasoline price has gone up less than the pace of inflation over 40 years. Now tell me the same thing is going to happen IF EVs ever become more popular that gasoline (it wont happen but what if) Think the price of electric is going to stay the same for 40 years?
Inflation adjusted gas was more expensive in 1979 than 2021 and one must keep in mind the gas taxes where raised by quite a bit in those years, so the product itself even when up less.

Short term, the price of gasoline is unchanged over the last 15 years which puts it below the pace of inflation by a huge margin. This is the actual cost of gas without your taxes. The time frame is limited by the chart in the example below.
Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 11.21.50 AM.png

Last edited:
Granted I only pay 10 cents kWh at my house 24 hours a day.
I'll bet you pay more than that, when the taxes, fees, charges, tariff's and other tolls are taken into account.

For example, I pay about 16c, for the first 1000KWh, and 22c for above that. But add in the various charges and it is well over 20c per KWh. EV's push even the most frugal FL homeowners above the 1000KWh mark immediately. (average FL home is about 1200 -1300 per month)

I love Elon's stuff and so on, but the baloney about EV electric use and "savings" is beyond silly. As you purchase 23% more power than the dashboard display shows you used. Due to the stack of losses.

It is quite possible to be at 20c per mile right off the bat, charging at home, in a fairly low cost area.

I'll bet you pay more than that, when the taxes, fees, charges, tariff's and other tolls are taken into account.

For example, I pay about 16c, for the first 1000KWh, and 22c for above that. But add in the various charges and it is well over 20c per KWh. EV's push even the most frugal FL homeowners above the 1000KWh mark immediately. (average FL home is about 1200 -1300 per month)

I love Elon's stuff and so on, but the baloney about EV electric use and "savings" is beyond silly. As you purchase 23% more power than the dashboard display shows you used. Due to the stack of losses.

It is quite possible to be at 20c per mile right off the bat, charging at home, in a fairly low cost area.
This wouldnt be correct. The correct way would be for people to post their fixed costs. Meaning the line connection to their home and all the other nasty stuff they bake in.
Most dont post them, I have many times.
The problem with your post is those fixed costs.
My electric cost me 10 cents a kWh plus the fixed costs. Granted plus I think my state sales tax of 6.75% so it's possible my rate with sales tax is 11 cents. But you cant use that to compare the rate, though I wish people would post their total bills for all to see.

For me, the fact is if I had an EV, 24 hours a day it would cost me 10 cents a kWh
My costs are fixed, it wouldnt matter if I lived in a wood shed with a refrigerator, TV and 1- 100 watt light bulb. The fixed cost is the same as my current home and even if I owned two EVs.

Living in the shed it would cost me an extra 10 cents a kWh to power the refrigerator TV and 100 watt light bulb as it will cost me the same extra 10 cents kWh to charge an unlimited number of EVs in my household.
Granted there is sales tax in there but sales tax is sales tax, it is a reason, I will agree, if people comment on electric costs to simply post their bill so we can compare. Im certainly interest in what California residential bills look like!

Here is my bill (actuall image of my bill, I didnt type these numbers) This is for the month of April, weather has been nasty this year, very cold for the time of year. May wasnt much better either... its driving me nuts. *LOL*

This is the actual image from my Electric bill for April. Im looking forward to May but still a cold month on the east coast, hopefully June will get hot. Im in a new home and curious as to how efficient it is compared to the 15 year old home we just sold.

Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 11.21.13 AM.png

BELOW IS A BILL FROM AROUND THE SAME TIME PERIOD IN OUR OLD HOME IN OUR PAST STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, which was still cheap but not as cheap as our co-op in North Carolina actually maybe it is but our current doest have peak usage, though we can sign up for it.
Interestedly our past Electric Co-Op in South Carolina always gave us a rebate, even at these rates if they didnt need all the rate money they collect, also you were given "Capital Credits" I will continue to get checks every year for a decade or more in capital credits from them, even though I am no longer in the state of South Carolina and no longer a customer of theirs. I will get them once a year and already got this years. I have a balance of $1,800 in credits left and they slowly disperse them if they are not needed or something like that. Typically I get, $40 to $90 a year back.
Gotta love the land of the free, a concept many can not comprehend anymore (no politics) Im in North Carolina now, still feel free maybe just a little less because I will have to get "Safety Inspections" on my Vehicles now. Stupid, there is no need for it in this day and age but people just go along with it. At least I dont need emissions though. Its just a quick look over.

(past house in South Carolina)
Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 11.31.10 AM.jpg

Last edited:
@alarmguy most people in CA would love to trade energy bills with you. We have some of the highest energy prices in the nation.
Of course, mine is different due to the solar project investment. The $11 electricity cost is the grid use cost; I generate more than I consume. This entire bill is comparable to about 8 gallons of gasoline at Costco.

1685900184194.png

Last edited:
I don't know really what to say. Its cool for a van. My wife at first expressed interest in it. I really don't have a purpose for a van and tend to dislike vans.

Back