Production VW ID. Buzz (Modern T1 Microbus) Revealed

World premiere of the ID. Buzz and ID. Buzz Cargo
The ID. Buzz lineup is the new face of sustainable mobility
  • First versions will come to European market with 82 kWh battery powering 201-hp electric motor with maximum torque of 229 lb-ft
  • Both models in the ID. Buzz range hark back to the iconic Microbus design and formula of maximum space on a small footprint
  • Sustainability measures include replacing leather with non-animal material, incorporating recycled materials, and organically-based paint
  • European models go on sale this year, with a long-wheelbase passenger model to debut for the North American market in 2023 and go on sale in 2024
Photos from MotorTrend Instagram
716D362B-CF3A-4185-8B68-30F98326AD31.jpeg

5373FDAB-1E88-4BE5-B9F9-F22242CABAF7.jpeg

5F201308-D5E1-4C3E-B2D0-B6E02F190AD6.jpeg

0E589AF3-D7A3-43BA-AE1A-1F1D62142623.jpeg

Last edited:
Very cool, I like it. I think VW is going to be the dominant EV maker in a few years. Others are catching up but VW is really firing on all cylinders (or should I say no cylinders?) with the current lineup. Tesla was cool but too expensive, and reliability/build quality is terrible, as is trying to get service. Now that the big boys are getting in the game in a big way they'll bring actual manufacturing and reliability design engineering to the table.

It's cool, though I'd like to see a more square/retro front end with round lights like the originals. I know that's unrealistic due to aerodynamics, fuel economy, modern tastes, etc.
My parents had a Greenbriar van in the 1960s. That would be a cool redo too.

Very cool, I like it. I think VW is going to be the dominant EV maker in a few years. Others are catching up but VW is really firing on all cylinders (or should I say no cylinders?) with the current lineup. Tesla was cool but too expensive, and reliability/build quality is terrible, as is trying to get service. Now that the big boys are getting in the game in a big way they'll bring actual manufacturing and reliability design engineering to the table.
I said it years ago that when the "big boys" got serious about EV's they would crush Tesla.

Nice! I'll take mine in non-clown colors, please.
I actually like them. I've had too many gray/silver/black cars. When I got the Taos I decided I wanted either the Cornflower Blue (which is what I got) or the Red. I've started to appreciate having cars with a real color. Admittedly, VWs "Pure Gray" is pretty cool looking.
s48kp35tf9771.jpg

I think it will be too small to sell well in the USA once the hipsters buy the first round.
Given how well small crossovers are selling I don't think that'll be an issue. Especially with gas prices being the way they are. Not everything has to be a massive 5 ton monster.

Given how well small crossovers are selling I don't think that'll be an issue. Especially with gas prices being the way they are. Not everything has to be a massive 5 ton monster.
The issue is costs. Small crossovers are cheap. This wont be.

When you factor in tax incentives that's really not too bad. Have you looked up the price of a new actual minivan these days?
Less than what a new ID4 start for a Sienna LE Hybrid FWD

But the ID Buzz is the only EV that has my interest.

I can see vinyl wrapping be popular on the ID Buzz, since it will have options well outside of what VW will offer from the factory.

When you factor in tax incentives that's really not too bad. Have you looked up the price of a new actual minivan these days?
I own a 2019 Metris. For me it’s the only thing that came close to my 2001 T4. There is a reason sales were poor for the T4 as well. If it doesn’t have stow and go seating, 17 cup holders, 3 tvs, a vacuum etc etc etc it will not do well compared to a Dodge Grand Caravan that costs several thousands less, goes faster and gets better mileage. In the US it is more, not better.

I own a 2019 Metris. For me it’s the only thing that came close to my 2001 T4. There is a reason sales were poor for the T4 as well. If it doesn’t have stow and go seating, 17 cup holders, 3 tvs, a vacuum etc etc etc it will not do well compared to a Dodge Grand Caravan that costs several thousands less, goes faster and gets better mileage. In the US it is more, not better.
Better mileage? At current gas prices an ID4 or Buzz would probably cost $6-$10 per charge, and close to $100 for one refill on a Sienna or Grand Caravan. Yeah the entry cost might be a little higher but the medium-long term savings on gas are substantial.

Back