Product for killing trees/shrubs down to roots

I used to have a product that I would apply to cut limbs of shrubs, to kill off shrubs. It was called either Bush Buster or Brush Buster. It was very effective, but I cannot find it in stores.

I have to kill off some vegetation that is getting in the way of our view when we pull out of our driveway. Is there a product that would be good to use, to entirely kill it off? I have cut limbs but it grows back fairly quickly.

Tordon RTU. You should be able to buy it at most farm supply stores like TSC. It does have 2,4-D, so read the label, and be careful around broadleaf stuff you don’t want to kill.

Last edited:
Anything 2,4-D based should work and be labeled for such use. Cut the bush all the way down and treat the stump.

You can also simply cut it all the way down and repeatedly cut off any regrowth. It may take all season but the roots will eventually run out of energy and die.

Tordon RTU. You should be able to buy it at most farm supply stores like TSC. It does have 2,4-D, so read the label, and be careful around broadleaf stuff you don’t want to kill.
Tordon has been around for decades and it is very effective at killing woody plants.

The other product excellent at woody brush control is Garlon (Triclopyr). Look at the label of any consumer product for the active ingredient Triclopyr.

Read the label. These products can leach into the root zone of nearby desirable woody ornamentals and kill them too. Drenching the soil is not necessary. Just paint the herbicide on the freshly cut stump and/or do the basal bark method (see label) so that it absorbs into the cambium layer.

I use Crossbow or Crossroad (if you’re at Rural King). It has 2,4-D and Triclopyr. It works great at killing poison ivy and the very aggressive wild grapevines that grow along my fences.

Just don't do what one of my family did, he had a tree growing in front of the house and the roots were damaging the sidewalk so he called a tree removal company. They cut the tree down, dug all around the stump, lined it with aluminum foil and peat and charcoal, lit it and then covered it. A couple of weeks late they came and removed most of the burned roots. All good, job well done.

The next summer he said he had a bush on the front lawn about 10 ft from the hose and no matter how far he cut it down it always came back so he got the idea to do the same thing but with a twist. He told me he was going to use some gasoline in the aluminum foil instead of charcoal and peat so it goes faster, I said it doesnt sound like a real good idea but anyway if you do just a little gas.
He lined the trench he dug then waited til we were all at a wedding that next Saturday, then came the call at the hotel the reception was being held at, he set the house on fire.

He poured a couple of gallons of gas in the trench and realizing he couldn't light it with a match he tied a gas soaked rag on the end of a broom handle and threw it at it like a spear. When it went up he was all black with soot and it set the vinyl siding alight. Talk about pandemonium in the house that night. The story get way more bizarre after this but that is for another time.

When I cut small trees down I use Bonide Vine & Stump Killer to paint the stump/stem with and stop it from suckering up.

This works well for subdivision construction in SC, no need for clumsy saws and herbicides. th-1450470720.jpg

Back