Problems With Bands Today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive Had This Problem for years but i still have problems dealing with it in my head. The problem is that people worry about other people hearing that little crack or crevice that makes you cringe.My And My buddy were jamming to a track the other day that we were recording and there was a little pop or something that i had did on accident and he pointed it out and i was like man does that make you cringe too? And he said no thats the coolest thing. So i mean something that may sound like a [censored] out of tune guitar could also sound like a beautiful saxophone beautiffuly in tune with the moonlight you know? So that kind of brings you to the problem with bands today.The problem with bands today is that technology has come so far that when in the studio bands can copy and paste guitar parts, sample drums and add them in, sample vocals and make everything perfect. i never thought that bob dylan was a good singer, i actually thought he was the worst singer i have heard in my life. But multi multi millions later he got his point across, and maybe thats what made him so great is that you can feel his emotion in his music.And I bet he didnt work all night trying to perfect some lyric.And Thats why those old records were so great is because there was no way for them to go back, pro tool it, slice it and dice it. they Had their heart and soul and emotion in it. one case of this i can think of right off the top of my head is back when tony iommi would double up his guitars on iron man and they would dog fight and you could feel it. So I mean the way music has progressed over the years has gotten ridiculous. It doesnt make sense that when a band is recording and a guitarist works on getting everything perfect and everything in pitch and then they hook up an eventide harmonizer and bend it back out of pitch, that doesnt make sense to me. thats like saying hey man you can play with feel if your a drummer and everything but you have to stay in time, you have to keep it solid. well all i have to say is that some of my favorite records the tempo shifts three or four times, its like a race car when it hits the gas it takes off you feel its emotion and there is no stoping it, so how can that be wrong? i mean the best part is hearing someones pipes screaming and they are reaching for that note, or overshooting a note. That Is real feel and emotion, and thats what makes music. not pro tooling everything to make it perfect. Im Against It all man, Just Let It All Hang Out.Thats how i feel about it. what about you?

Last edited:
I don't care for too polished. While a good, or at least an interesting voice is of course important for a singer, as you already said, emotional impact doesn't rely only on voice. Bob Dylan is a great example, because his voice by itself is sometimes almost laughable, but he does invest so much into his performance (Call it ingenuity and honesty if you will) that the pleasantness, or rather the lack thereof, becomes meaningless.

I don't know many singers whose voice can be great or abysmal. Meat Loaf is one of them. Granted, he did lose and did regain his voice over singing those insanely long ballads, but he can sound between pathetic and astonishing, and not only in studio recordings! He's certainly not consistent, which is probably why he is underrated (or overrated -- it depends on your viewpoint).

For a singer it may be a little easier to get away with inconsistency compared to musicians who play instruments. For them, technical perfection is the foundation on which the quality of their performance rests. A singer may have other things than the quality of his vice going for him: performance and showmanship skills, charisma, likeability, giant mammalian glands (in what's-her-name's case -- I don't think the boobs help Meat Loaf!), enthusiasm that makes him or her give it all.

That's why Mori likes The "Hoff"..
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
That's why Mori likes The "Hoff"..
LOL.gif

I'm traveling to Canada for a job. Would you like to meet, or is it okay if I just stop by unannounced? I have something I want to give you.
grin2.gif

Drummer Neal Smith comments on Alice Cooper song, "Be My Lover": "I was spinning my drumstick [during the recording session, like I do on stage] when it flew out of my hand and landed right on the shell of the bass drum and trickled down through the hardware to the floor. You can hear it happen on this song."

I never noticed it before, but after reading this, it is very clear near the end of the song, and I like that they kept it in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back