Problems to resolve with the right oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

currently on my track car, Celica GT-four, 2000cc turbo engine, I'm using Motul 10W/40.

But now I mounted the bigger WRC oil pump... 8 bar of pressure at cold start... and so, to fight oil cavitation, I'd like to use a thinner at cold oil, like a 5W...

And given that in longer track session I reach easily 130/140 deg C., I was even thinking about changing to a 50 oil, with a very good HTHS number...

Do you advice such a big range oil, 5W-50, on a race turbo engine ?

What brand would you advice me ?

TIA...

patriot.gif

Since you are in Italy, only few I think will be familiar with what is available to you easily. You may want to look for ELF motor oils to look for as a substitute for the Motul you are using, I understand these are supposed to be very good. You may want to post this in the Euro oil section as well to get more replies.

Well now that I mentioned Elf I read this UOA of Elf vrs. Dlevac 1 in a VW TDI, Elf vs Delvac 1 . You may want to try to find the equivalent of Mobil Delvac 1 in your country, even though it is a diesel in the report, D1 is a diesel oil I would not have reservations about running in a high hp gasoline race engine. Just something to consider.

Quote:

No matter the brand, make sure it is full synthetic...

Yes, sure !!

BTW I was asking about my problem of cavitation at cold start, cause I'm seeing 8+ bars at cold idle...
so IMHO turning from a 10W to a 5W should lower my cold pressures...

Even if I know turbo engines don't love big range oils..

I didn't know cold start properties would be a problem in Italy, at least not in summer
smile.gif

I'd use Agip 10W-60 racing (synthetic). It should be very easy to find in Italy.

Quote:

I think this is what redline is designed for.

No problem for that...
here in Italy I can easily get Motul and Redline...
I was only asking, in your opinion, which oil would be better in my case, even considering the track use...

I was thinking about turning from the Motul 300v 10W-40 to the 5W-40:
i looked at its characteristic, and it seems to me to be a good oil...
5W-40 viscosity at 100 C is 15.1 ( 10W-40 = 14.6 )
5W-40 viscosity at 40 C is 94 ( 10W-40 is 98 )
I only wondering for the high viscosity index... higher than all the other 300v oils.... VI is 170 while 10W-40 is 154...

Is the Redline better for my needs ?

TIA !

Quote:

Well now that I mentioned Elf I read this UOA of Elf vrs. Dlevac 1 in a VW TDI, Elf vs Delvac 1 . You may want to try to find the equivalent of Mobil Delvac 1 in your country, even though it is a diesel in the report, D1 is a diesel oil I would not have reservations about running in a high hp gasoline race engine. Just something to consider.

It seems to be a very good oil !!!
But really you would use a Diesel oil in an high hp gasoline engine ?

Quote:

I didn't know cold start properties would be a problem in Italy, at least not in summer
smile.gif

I'd use Agip 10W-60 racing (synthetic). It should be very easy to find in Italy.

Hi bar1 !

60 is too thick at hot... moreover Agip has not a big name here in Italy....
wink.gif

Quote:

Hi bar1 !
60 is too thick at hot... moreover Agip has not a big name here in Italy....
wink.gif

Agip has 5W-40 and 10W-40 also.. I'd use that in your application.
The smaller companies sometimes make better oil
smile.gif

Quote:

Quote:

It seems to be a very good oil !!!
But really you would use a Diesel oil in an high hp gasoline engine ?

Under Applications you should note that one of the listed apps is
"High performance gasoline engines and mixed fleets".
Yes, I would use it without hesitation in a high hp gas engine.

Further, though, if you are primarily running on a track, I do think that the Redline is a more proven oil for your type of engine, I mentioned the Mobil D1 thinking af a streetable oil that should do good with occasional track use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back