Looking for oil advice - 5w-50 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think the assumption is you don't build that wide spread with base oil -- VII does it and that bothers some folks.

Lots of folks run 0w40 and some will not. Perception is reality - living down south it is certainly easier and of course some Canadian's put the HP toys away for the winter ...

Originally Posted By: Azoth
Ok so it looks like 15w-50 is the winner.
Already ordered to Motul 5w-50 though so I guess I will just use that until the next change.
Is there a specific reason some people are saying 5w would not be good for my application? Sorry kind of an oil noob here and just want to understand the reasoning.

You'll be fine with the Motul. It hit your pocket book, just like it does mine when I order it ... But, for me its for bike engines, so not a huge hit. And, if you are not crazy on that motor pedal, you can get away with running it longer. Do a UOA at 3,000 miles and see how its holding up... You may be surprised at how long it can go
smile.gif

That'll help with the price hit
smile.gif

But once you need to change, I'd consider going to 15W-50 and just cruising on
smile.gif

Yeah, right, with that motor, I'd be in the loud pedal too much to
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I dont see how 5w50 wouldnt work well.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Think the assumption is you don't build that wide spread with base oil -- VII does it and that bothers some folks.

Lots of folks run 0w40 and some will not. Perception is reality - living down south it is certainly easier and of course some Canadian's put the HP toys away for the winter ...

It's not fear of VIIs per se...it's just that making wide spread oils the meet J300 specs means that the oils aren't actually offering up what their grade would/should suggest.

Take M1 5W50...
http://www.mobil.com/english-GB/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-Peak-Life-5W50

The HTHS, which is the determinant of bearing protection and high RPM oil pressure is 4.4Cp...

While Redline 10W40...
https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=5

Will provide the same protection, and less likelihood of shearing.

Silly unicorn oils like Mobil 1 racing 0W50
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-racing-oil

demonstrate NOT the fear of VII, just that J300, allows some silly outcomes...Mobil could have made a "racing" 5W40 which would be more shear stable, and offer the same 3.8 HTHS protection.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Yeah, I don't think a -40 is needed unless you're going deer hunting up near Susanville
laugh.gif

During a Polar Vortex.

Makes you wonder who is asking for a spread like that when (for example) the real Shelby SS techs FF'd off the shelf Mobil 1 15W50 - and said enjoy it road or track ... (bosses car) ... yet buddy has a 2 year old 911S M1 0W40 in S. Texas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: Azoth
Ok so it looks like 15w-50 is the winner.
Already ordered to Motul 5w-50 though so I guess I will just use that until the next change.
Is there a specific reason some people are saying 5w would not be good for my application? Sorry kind of an oil noob here and just want to understand the reasoning.

You'll be fine with the Motul. It hit your pocket book, just like it does mine when I order it ... But, for me its for bike engines, so not a huge hit. And, if you are not crazy on that motor pedal, you can get away with running it longer. Do a UOA at 3,000 miles and see how its holding up... You may be surprised at how long it can go
smile.gif

That'll help with the price hit
smile.gif

But once you need to change, I'd consider going to 15W-50 and just cruising on
smile.gif

Yeah, right, with that motor, I'd be in the loud pedal too much to
laugh.gif

Haha.. yeah I find myself in the loud pedal quite a lot
laugh.gif

And I'm pretty OCD about my cars, at 3,000 miles is about when I change the oil... 5k maybe if I'm pushing it.
But yeah it looks like some Redline 15w-50 is the winner for the next one, looks like some good stuff... and you can get it on amazon.. score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back