Problem with 2012 Honda Accord 5sp transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the flex pipe yours will look similar to this one, this one is for a Honda van, the mount that is most likely to go is right above this on the engine where the braided flex portion is. If you remove the drivers front wheel you may be able to see it with a good flashlight from the wheel well. I wouldn't bet much money on a transmission issue.

Last edited:
J pipe is coming off the back of the engine-----look for a metal-braid type of fitting about 6 inches long and the diameter of the exhaust pipe--this is your flex joint in the exhaust whose purpose is to help absorb vibrations from the engine. When it has a tear (even small) in it, the vibrations can be carried throughout the entire car. A break or tear in the flex joint can be seen as either a loose piece, or black carbon tracking where the tear is. Obviously, check when not hot so you don't sizzle yourself--look in the daytime with a flashlight
Good Luck
Steve

UPDATE:

After really trying to nail this down and figure out how to get this to act up, I have noticed it sometime comes and goes with the VCM going in and out of ECO mode. I got a VCM Muzzler yesterday and installed it and the vibration described in my original post is now gone! I'm thinking it was something with the VCM causing it now. I was not always doing this and only recently started this vibration.
So now it appears to be directly related to the VCM since the VCM muzzler made it go away. Can now seem to run better overall with nicer throttle response. SO far I like this VCM muzzler!

What might be causing the vibration related to the VCM system? I still need to fix this issue even though the VCMuzzler "fixed" it. Many thanks!!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Do all current new Hondas have VCM ?

All honda V6's do. Manual V6 Accord is one exception. I am also not sure about the redesigned ridgeline.

I'm pretty sure the new Ridgeline also has VCM. I wish Honda could properly engineer VCM to work without all these problems or just get rid of it entirely and get back to their reputation of extreme reliability.

Ok so here is an update on this. I finally took the car to the dealer as my warranty is about up(73,000 total miles now). They said the engine mounts are still in good shape. They said they could feel a very slight vibration but it was normal to them and not what they see when the engine mount fails. The vibration is differently coming from the VCM kicking on and off and is most noticeable when it kicks on in ECO mode. It is a very slight vibrations and I thought the dealer tech might not notice it but it is definitely there. I'm just going to keep my VCM Muzzler installed. Here is a post I made about it in another thread:

If so, what are your findings using it? I installed one not quite a year ago because VCM mode was starting to cause odd vibrations in the car. I think it works pretty well at keeping the eco mode(VCM) from coming on 90% of the time. Some times in stop and go city traffic when the engine temp gets higher the VCM Muzzler fails to keep the VCM from turning on until I start cruising again and the engine cools off a little. I installed a stronger resistor(forget the OMH rating) and it was to much and kept the temp down to low and made the check engine light come on. Even the stronger resistor failed to keep the VCM off in city driving so I installed the original resistor and that keeps the CEL off while still preventing VCM from activating.
My car is much smoother overall and does not have the odd vibrations when the VCM operates normally without the VCM Muzzler. Also at nearly 75,000 total miles it burns zero oil between 5,000 miles oil change intervals. I'm also getting the exact same gas mileage with the VCM vs. when it was not installed which is 24-26 city and 27-30 highway. What are your finding on this product and what do you think of it? Are you getting 100% VCM deactivation with the Muzzler or does the VCM still kick on and off when it gets hot? What color resistor are you using? Thanks everyone!

Yep. Never good to run on 3 cylinders with a V6. I think Honda now runs 4 cylinders in VCM now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back