Pro-tec vs Champion lab filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any specs given on RA for those filters?

Champion Labs makes many different brand filters, so probably a better bet to go with that one.

I could be mistaken, but I recall the Pro-Tec to be a "white-box" Wix filter.

I think some people have some preferences on design, but it is safe to say that most of these <$3 jobber filters will function similarly. In other words, equally poor.

I have used both and they are both good filters. I even have both in my shop now and use them inter changeably.

So which ever is cheapest/lowest to ship would be my choice.

As noted Champ Labs makes different tier filters, the lowest 'Champ Labs labeled' (on RA) filters would be similar to or same as current Super Tech line, value/jobber. Majority of those applications are ecore filters using a combo valve. As noted the P-T is Wix's lowest tier, jobber tier filter recommended for 3-5k miles by Wix. They have Wix type construction and some use combo valves.

Looking at your signature applications with the exception of the 09 they are GM with block bypass, combo valve not applicable. They would be ecores.

So given the choice between two listed only, because of construction preference I'd go with the ProTec. In reality if run 3-5k miles, likely not to make much difference.

Originally Posted by The Critic
I could be mistaken, but I recall the Pro-Tec to be a "white-box" Wix filter.

I think some people have some preferences on design, but it is safe to say that most of these div>

OTOH, there are many engines out there with 200K or more that never ran anything but jobber filters.
If the oil/filter are changed regularly from new.....I doubt the more expensive filter matters much. However, if I bought
a used car that seemed neglected (oil change wise)….I'd probably run a filter with better dirt holding capacity to clean it up...

Better to get a fresh Ecore from Walmart in ST brand for $3. Closeout means it's been somewhere awhile. I would go Champ labs Ecore made USA over the Pro Tec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back