Prius 60k Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2011 Prius is almost due for it's 60k service (at 59k right now).

Here is what I have planned for the 60k service:

- LOF w/0w-20 and OE Filter
- Hybrid Transaxle drain/fill with 4 qt of Toyota ATF-WS
- Engine Coolant drain/fill with Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (SLLC)
- Hybrid Inverter Coolant drain/fill with Toyota SLLC
- Brake Fluid Flush with Valvoline DOT3/4 (yes, I have Techstream lite)
- Clean Throttle Body
- Replace front struts with new OE (replaced the rears about 5,000 miles ago, now the front feels bouncy in comparison).
- Retorque all suspension fasteners and any accessible body bolts.
- Clean pad mounting surfaces and lube with M77, lube slide pins with 3M Silicone Paste, and adjust parking brake.

I am open to suggestions from the audience, as well as remarks on how I may be wasting money.
56.gif

Thanks.

I would be [censored] if I had a 2011 anything and had to put struts on it.I think the brake fluid is a waste of time and possibly the coolant as well.

Sounds great! Wana do my 105k tune up
wink.gif

I agree with everything except the coolant. Its not subject to combustion or extreme pressure, and its not an oil that will breakdown. I think the factory 100k coolant interval is fine.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
wink.gif

I agree with everything except the coolant. Its not subject to combustion or extreme pressure, and its not an oil that will breakdown. I think the factory 100k coolant interval is fine.

I already had the engine coolant done once at 32k.

The inverter coolant is still original though.

Ive been kinda on the fence about doing coolant changes early. I havent heard of any issue doing the 105k on my Hondas. Plus Honda wants $22/gal for 50/50 mix. [censored] that!

Blinker fluid should have been done at 30k, so you need to power flush it now.

wink.gif

You should waste your time and money on girls and drinks and not a hobby like car maintenance at your age!

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Blinker fluid should have been done at 30k, so you need to power flush it now.

wink.gif

You should waste your time and money on girls and drinks and not a hobby like car maintenance at your age!

Waking at 5am on Sunday, to go to the bars count
wink.gif
lol. I am heavy into autocross and my car sees alot of abuse in the summer. So wasting time on maintenance is a good thing

Last edited:

I do need a new hobby. You should join bdcardinal and I when we meet up, during my next trip down to Santa Barbara.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I do need a new hobby. You should join bdcardinal and I when we meet up, during my next trip down to Santa Barbara.

How old are you? Start racing, theres a hobby!

How old are you? Start racing, theres a hobby!

I need cheaper hobbies, not expensive ones!
lol.gif

wink.gif

Knowing Critic, you would probably end up with a complete overhaul of the braking, cooling and suspension systems at that mileage
grin.gif

Joking aside, everything looks great except the struts. Pretty disappointing for that mileage or Critic is just picky.

PS.
Critic, give me a shout when you put this car up for sale. With this kind of care it will be a steal no matter the mileage.
wink.gif

I think the coolant may be a bit OCD...but I think your program looks good. If you notice the ride difference, then struts are in order, but I might consider Bilstein or good aftermarket. 60K is a lot of miles for a 2year old car.

I check and clean battery connections every year, is that recommended on a hybrid?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I think the coolant may be a bit OCD...but I think your program looks good. If you notice the ride difference, then struts are in order, but I might consider Bilstein or good aftermarket. 60K is a lot of miles for a 2year old car.

I check and clean battery connections every year, is that recommended on a hybrid?

If Bilsteins were available, I would have installed them yesterday. The front struts show a reduction in performance from new, but I would not say that replacement is mandatory at this time.

The hybrid battery connections usually do not require periodic maintenance, however, it may be a good idea to clean the hybrid battery fan periodically so that airflow is maintained.

Originally Posted By: maybehabitformin
I think the brake fluid is a waste of time and possibly the coolant as well.

I'm as OCD as most - and I agree that coolant every 30k is possibly overkill, but I'm told some manu's are starting to recommend yearly brake fluid flushes.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
Originally Posted By: maybehabitformin
I think the brake fluid is a waste of time and possibly the coolant as well.

I'm as OCD as most - and I agree that coolant every 30k is possibly overkill, but I'm told some manu's are starting to recommend yearly brake fluid flushes.

Oil (per owners manual: 7500 miles)
MTX 30k/3yr
ATX drain and fill 30k/3yr
P/S Siphon and fill the reservoir every oil change
Brake fluid 30k/3yr
Spark plugs, belts, Coolant (per owners manual)

My preference

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Would be fun. I need cheaper hobbies, between cars, guns, tools, and computers I am tapped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back