Printer Ink Quantity Gauges

How do these things work? Is it by the amount of lines of text printed, or some other way? I ask because I have never had one that was even a little bit accurate. Most of them are way optimistic.

My last one said I had at least half left on a black and white cartridge before it went out. I'm thinking they're drying up before they're supposed to, and I'm not getting the whole good out of them.

How do these things work? Is it by the amount of lines of text printed, or some other way? I ask because I have never had one that was even a little bit accurate. Most of them are way optimistic.

My last one said I had at least half left on a black and white cartridge before it went out. I'm thinking they're drying up before they're supposed to, and I'm not getting the whole good out of them.
Remember to shake and reinstall. I got another 6 months out of mine doing that 😀 seriously.
Works well on new units you bought years prior on the cheap.

I don't deal with inkjets anymore, unless they are internal tanks. I really like the Brother internal tank printers. They control the conditions in the tank so the ink lasts is what I'm told.

Prior to learning about those printers, I would strongly suggest a laser. The downside to last is the cartridges get pricey, especially if you want color printing, but they don't dry out. They also don't print the best pictures, but that's what Walgreens is for.

I would guess that I'm getting on average 6 months out of one. Sometimes a bit more or less. I don't print that much anymore. Which is why I think they should be lasting longer. At least the gauge says they should.
If they're not cycling, they're going to dry up. 6 months is a little surprising to me, but it's an unfortunate reality of ink printers.

The only ink that dries up is what is at the nozzle so you waste a bunch cleaning them to get them to print right again. Ink level is guestimated off of amount of prints. They purposely keep it way conservative to keep you buying ink.

They mostly just count pages now :sneaky:

Epson Ecotank and similar printers don't use cartridges, making the cost per page almost as cheap as laser.

I would guess that I'm getting on average 6 months out of one. Sometimes a bit more or less. I don't print that much anymore. Which is why I think they should be lasting longer. At least the gauge says they should.
I bought an Epson a couple years ago. It has ink tanks, not cartridges. You can see the ink level in the tank. Unambiguous. The ink is cheaper. I print fairly often and have yet to use up the black tank. I don’t think that I will go back to cartridges…

For what they charge per gallon for their ink they should have to give you the printer and just charge you for the ink!
That’s exactly what they do. HP practically gives away the printer, and makes money on the ink.

Just like Gillette and cartridges. They’ll give you the razor handle…because they know you’re going to buy all those cartridges…

Back