Printer Cartridges

Seem to replace my Canon printer cartridges too frequently. Have set printing preferences to minimize ink use. Rarely use color print. Is there a way to make them last longer?

Is there a cheaper alternative to buying proprietary cartridges?

1639666022051.jpg

Some computers don't handle the Cannon print program very well and reportlow ink levels. Linux is one of them. Windows seems to handle the levels fairly well. I just keep printing until I see lighter shades, and buy the highest capacity cartridge available.

I had a Canon Pixma ip1800 that I got free on computer deal in 2005. It had these small cartridges that seem to run out soon, but that was a very good printer, and never jammed until the last day when the feed part broke. I just bought a Canon Pixma Mg3522 from WM for $40 which also gives copier-scanner.

I researched lots of printers, and decided that Pixma is great for low print people like me because the nozzles are in cart so a new cart will fix faster.

My printer takes same carts as the 245 and 246, but they have more ink in the 245XL and 246XL which cost $54 for the pair everywhere. I've tried the off brand refilled, and just didn't have enough luck to use them.

My inkjets used to always be problematic due to clogged nozzles from long time between printing.

Online reviews for Brother printers generally good so i got one at Costco for $220 few years ago and not a single problem since. They take reasonably priced XL toner cartridges that print 3000 pages or even cheaper generic carts. Youll find also the scanner is invaluable for digitizing documents like UOA to post here :)

I went brother laser 10 years ago. 12 out of 13 still in use.. one was damaged by idiot(myself oops). and replaced

Get a laser that only does black, it won't take long to pay for itself. I'm still using the toner cartridge mine came with four years ago. Last time I noticed it was still half full but I only print 4/5 things a month. Also get one the prints on both sides and save on paper too.

IMHO, go with a B&W laser printer if printing fair bit of non-color documents and an Epson inkjet, they have decent ones with ink lasting quite a bit for color printing only if don't want color laser printer.

Back