Need new color printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for a new color printer. Currently have an Epson NX420 inkjet. But the color cartridges is a a problem due to infrequent use. Usually used for B&W label printing but would like a color option. What is particularly aggravating is all the cartridges need to have ink to be able to print regardless of the color. I also have a Brother B&W laser printer.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Time for a new color printer. Currently have an Epson NX420 inkjet. But the color cartridges is a a problem due to infrequent use. Usually used for B&W label printing but would like a color option. What is particularly aggravating is all the cartridges need to have ink to be able to print regardless of the color. I also have a Brother B&W laser printer.

I used to have H P's. Consumer grade H P's are junk. You never get full use out of the ink cartridges with infrequent use. Couple of years ago, I bought a Cannon MG2900 all-in-one printer at WM. They were on sale for $39.00. I should have bought 2. It's been great for my intermittent use. Today at Amazon the price is almost double what I paid. Looks like Cannon has a new low cost printer, the Canon Office Products PIXMA MG3020 White Wireless color Photo Printer with Scanner/Copier, $59 with prime shipping.

Yeah, if you shop around you can find color laser printers in the $100 range. And the toner for the laser doesn't dry out like ink. Starter toner is usually good for 500-1000 pages.

These printer are so cheap and poorly made for the most part they should just give them to you. I was reading the other day were the ink is almost $3000 a gallon.

Another vote for a Brother Colour Laser, and after dealing with HP a few times, I wonder how they stay in business. It isn't their Consumer products division that's driving their profits, that's for sure.

Canon makes a great printer, as does Epson.

The one thing about Colour Lasers is, you won't get the colour performance a good inkjet can provide. To keep ink from drying out, print a full colour image once a month. If you're not printing with a photo printer and creating prints on photo paper, you won't miss the inkjet. The Colour Lasers do fine for printing documents, coupons, etc.

But if you really want to print quality colour prints from photos, and you don't want to deal with inkjets, you can look into a Dye Sub printer, where the colours are vibrant and the ink doesn't dry out from infrequent use.

How big of a label do you need to print? Why not look into a Dymo or Brother label printer like one of these?

http://www.dymo.com/en-US/label-makers-a...o-label-printer
https://www.brother-usa.com/products/QL1100

Yes, you need to buy label cartridges - no buying sheet labels. But the biggest benefit is that you aren't having to buy toner or ink cartridges.

I'm an HP person for printers - but their LaserJet series has gone downhill. Plus, we've got nothing but trouble with aftermarket toner in them. The older LaserJets from the 1990s-mid 2000s(LJ4/5/6, 2000/4000/5000 series) did work OK with aftermarket toner as long as it was a quality, locally refilled cartridge with a new wiper blade and seals.

My canon pixma 870 has served me well for years. On any inkjet printer you get, get one with separate print head. if clogged you can remove it and run it under hot water to clean the clogs. No need to try to pump more ink thru it to clean it. I have don't this myself with print heads and the integrated tank heads and they all clean out nicely under hot water. Stubborn clogs can be soaked in ispropyl alcohol and cleared. For canon you can buy refill kits with easily refillable tanks for ~$30

Never wipe a print head with anything, The micro tubes that spray the ink will break.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Yeah, if you shop around you can find color laser printers in the $100 range. And the toner for the laser doesn't dry out like ink. Starter toner is usually good for 500-1000 pages.

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^
....... except I never found a good rated one anywhere in that one-bill price range.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
My canon pixma 870 has served me well for years. On any inkjet printer you get, get one with separate print head. if clogged you can remove it and run it under hot water to clean the clogs. No need to try to pump more ink thru it to clean it. I have don't this myself with print heads and the integrated tank heads and they all clean out nicely under hot water. Stubborn clogs can be soaked in ispropyl alcohol and cleared. For canon you can buy refill kits with easily refillable tanks for ~$30

Never wipe a print head with anything, The micro tubes that spray the ink will break.
Invisible Glass, like most ammonia based glass cleaner will clean printer ink pronto.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My CANON MG6820 is a great printer. Ed
Just put that Canon printer in service this week. Replaced a Pixma MG6120 that went five and a half years and stipped a gear and scared *@## out of wife. New printer had no problem finding the router.I use LG replacement ink with no problems. Enjoy your 6820 Eddie.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
These printer are so cheap and poorly made for the most part they should just give them to you. I was reading the other day were the ink is almost $3000 a gallon.

All the profit comes from the ink/toner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back