Priming Motor that sat for 6 months. Did I screw up?

After a long fight with cancer, I'm finally getting back into my car hobby. I have a 2009 Dodge Viper that unfortunately had been parked in the garage for about 6 months. Before the first crank, I decided to go ahead and swap out plugs and wires since they were overdue. With the plugs out, a Viper performance shop that I consult often advised that I pull particular fuses, connect to to a charger, and turn over the motor until my (non dummy light) pressure gauge built pressure up near operating level.

Over two sessions of about 15 seconds each separated by some time to let the starter cool, I was able to build pressure up to about 75 psi. However, and this entirely on me for not second guessing him, I was not told to pull the fuel pump relay. By the end of the second crank, I could smell a faint amount of fuel from the driver's seat with the door open and immediately stopped.

Later that day, I installed the plugs and took the car on a nice drive to get everything good and hot. No issues at all.

So now, my overthinking self has been, well.. overthinking what I did. What are the odds I washed down the cylinder walls and possibly scored or removed the crosshatching? I'm not sure how easily the oil film is washed off the walls and I figure any real excess of fuel would have been pushed out of the plug hole on the up strokes. Additionally, as I'm building pressure, wouldn't the film be restored on the walls by the crank sloshing oil everywhere as the piston rings move up to TDC?

On top of all of the above, if I did slightly dilute the oil, did my 15 minute drive to get everything hot do even more damage?

Either way, I did an oil change before driving it again to get rid of any fuel diluted oil and can't at least perceive any issues. I just need an expert to tell me that I've not any damage here.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back in the old days of airlines, gasoline was added to the engine oil on purpose before shut down in the cold northern areas, to thin the oil. When the oil gets hot, the gas will evaporate, so you had nothing to worry about.
The expert has spoken. 🤣 :unsure:

I wouldn't worry. For the last 30+ years, same vehicle, I would just crank and start up the engine after sitting from October thru April every year. I never had any engine issues so far. The engine consumes no oil either or has any oil pressure issues.

Back in the old days before fuel injection it was common to dump a load of fuel in the carburetor to get a cold vehicle started. It would be 20 degrees below zero and it was common to flood a car and start it up cold. You are fine and enjoy the Viper.

Back in the old days before fuel injection it was common to dump a load of fuel in the carburetor to get a cold vehicle started. It would be 20 degrees below zero and it was common to flood a car and start it up cold. You are fine and enjoy the Viper.
Indeed, have started many a vehicle with the ol' gas-dump technique, particularly when trying to get a new acquisition started to see if it even runs or first start with a fresh (bone dry) carb. Never had any issues. Have also flooded my fair share of carb'd cars with carb/choke issues.

You're fine. Change the oil for peace of mind if it'll make you feel better, but it's most likely no worse off than it was just from 30 seconds of cranking. Our Hyundai's oil is only 3 months in, and I guarantee it is more fuel diluted. Haha :)

I have a last-gen Viper, with forced induction. It sits most of the time. Certainly for 6 months during winter. I keep it on a battery trickle charger, change the oil when I get bored, put in fuel stabilizer, and just crank it over when I want to start it. The engine is not that fragile. Even at 400 rwhp and torque beyond stock, it runs fine.

What I'm saying is that you're overthinking this. Enjoy your car.

After a long fight with cancer, I'm finally getting back into my car hobby. I have a 2009 Dodge Viper that unfortunately had been parked in the garage for about 6 months. Before the first crank, I decided to go ahead and swap out plugs and wires since they were overdue. With the plugs out, a Viper performance shop that I consult often advised that I pull particular fuses, connect to to a charger, and turn over the motor until my (non dummy light) pressure gauge built pressure up near operating level.

Over two sessions of about 15 seconds each separated by some time to let the starter cool, I was able to build pressure up to about 75 psi. However, and this entirely on me for not second guessing him, I was not told to pull the fuel pump relay. By the end of the second crank, I could smell a faint amount of fuel from the driver's seat with the door open and immediately stopped.

Later that day, I installed the plugs and took the car on a nice drive to get everything good and hot. No issues at all.

So now, my overthinking self has been, well.. overthinking what I did. What are the odds I washed down the cylinder walls and possibly scored or removed the crosshatching? I'm not sure how easily the oil film is washed off the walls and I figure any real excess of fuel would have been pushed out of the plug hole on the up strokes. Additionally, as I'm building pressure, wouldn't the film be restored on the walls by the crank sloshing oil everywhere as the piston rings move up to TDC?

On top of all of the above, if I did slightly dilute the oil, did my 15 minute drive to get everything hot do even more damage?

Either way, I did an oil change before driving it again to get rid of any fuel diluted oil and can't at least perceive any issues. I just need an expert to tell me that I've not any damage here.

Thanks.
@Rocket254 you performed this step with the plugs out. The fuel wash pushed out the spark plug hole, hence why you could smell the fuel. IMO, you did no harm to the engine and did not damage any cross hatching. Personally, next time I would just fire it up and let it idle for a few minutes. Really the only need to prime an engine is after a rebuild.

Just my $0.02

Thanks.
It will be fine.
God speed in your recovery or post recovery.

Thank you all for the advice, the reassurance and the kind words. I'm definitely the type to overthink everything and often make things worse from OCD tendencies. This car is a lifelong dream goal that I finally got my hands on just a few months before lymphoma hit in '22. I just had my chemo port removed so I'm ready to rip some roads up. The chemo did enough mentally to cause me to sit around and think too much as opposed to drive. I'll try to remember all of this advice moving forward. Thank you.

Obligatory new guy car pics below...

1000002860.jpg
db94692d-609a-46c6-86f7-c3a1d1c8f8e8-1_all_31671.jpg

Thank you all for the advice, the reassurance and the kind words. I'm definitely the type to overthink everything and often make things worse from OCD tendencies. This car is a lifelong dream goal that I finally got my hands on just a few months before lymphoma hit in '22. I just had my chemo port removed so I'm ready to rip some roads up. The chemo did enough mentally to cause me to sit around and think too much as opposed to drive. I'll try to remember all of this advice moving forward. Thank you.
I believe lymphoma treatments have been very successful for the past few decades now. Best wishes for a fast and complete recovery.

Back