Primary and secondary ZDDP in diesel oils for gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My respond to Kameleon was to his claim that we can use any HDEO in any car. I agreed with you on several occasions that we can use low SA HDEO in engines designed for A3/B4, due to a similar chemistry of those oils. But in Europe A3/B4 is an obsolete specification in a way that majority of cars made after 06 use some of C oil specification. C4 spec is limited to only 0.5% SA, and it would be unwise to use oil with double SA content in engine requiring low SAPS formula.
As for Ferrari, I've made a mistake choosing it to make a point since it's one of the last builders using A3/B4 spec. (only. HELIX Ultra 5W40/PENNZOIL Euro).

No, I think the point you made with Ferrari was well taken. I know what you were getting at.

There also are some interesting HDEOs that are at least somewhat closer to the C specification, with some rather low phosphorous HDEOs in existence. They aren't an ideal fit for a C specification, as you note, but better than an A3/B4 in a pinch, I suppose.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: chrisri
My respond to Kameleon was to his claim that we can use any HDEO in any car. I agreed with you on several occasions that we can use low SA HDEO in engines designed for A3/B4, due to a similar chemistry of those oils. But in Europe A3/B4 is an obsolete specification in a way that majority of cars made after 06 use some of C oil specification. C4 spec is limited to only 0.5% SA, and it would be unwise to use oil with double SA content in engine requiring low SAPS formula.
As for Ferrari, I've made a mistake choosing it to make a point since it's one of the last builders using A3/B4 spec. (only. HELIX Ultra 5W40/PENNZOIL Euro).

I said.....(NOT any) HDEO in ANY car.......!!!

If you want Low saps HDEO than use E9 sepc.....for anything else normal E for EURO IV truck will be ok....

I think that truck engines here in EU are more "advanced" than car engines.....in the way that technology first goes in to truck engines.....and only after that is implemented into car engines...

Because trucks are using same diesel as regular cars (sometimes even cheaper because of economy).....SA limitations are the same than for cars and trucks....

So if you choose E(x) spc wisely to your car.....there really nothing can go wrong

Plus majority of cars in EU are let`s say (yes I am guessing) 5-8 years old......so acea A3/B3/B4 spec is still commonly used

6-8 years take us to 07 and start point of common usage of DPFs, petrols/gasoline also switched at the same time. They didn't all make the switch, but most did. HDEO has a bit higher max SA limit. Would it made real life difference I don't know. In newer C1/C4 cars HDEO is not very smart idea IMO. You know DPFs are pain even when OEM spec oils are used. They also cost similarly, some C3 oils are even cheaper.
I just got 15L 5w30 HDEO low-SAPS for my A3/B4 cars.

Ok deal....

BUT DPFs are pain mostly because of "user error"....people are buying diesel powered cars for 10-15kms per day....or they are driving it "american style" below 3000rpms
smile.gif
And that`s why majority of DPFs get clogged....

Heck, my dad always maintained it was wisest to buy a diesel for a high mileage highway application only, long before DPF and stuff like that came about. Maybe he was prepared for the future.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back