Primacy MXV4 Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting a set of these installed today. Replacing a set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTreads that wore out unevenly. They are going on my mom's 2000 Grand Marquis. Also doing Moog Pitman arm, Idler arm, and front anti-sway bar endlinks with an alignment. Hopefully they last longer. I only put on H rated tires at a minimum on any car I own.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
I had MXV4 Primacy 20" tires on my SHO. They still had 4/32 tread when I decided to change them, only because I noticed they would "hydroplane" in the wet. Worried if I had to go up North for any family emergencies, when there was snow on the ground, I would have problems.

After checking out the tire market, I ended up buying Cooper Zeon RS4-A tires. So far, so good.

BTW, after pricing these tires in various places, both local and national tire places, I ended up buying them at ----- Are you ready-------.

My local Lincoln Dealer. They gave me the best OTD price, plus they balance with a Road Force (Hunter GSP 9700) Balancer, which is the only balance machine they have. No need to pay extra for a Road Force Balance. They were $5.00 lower than the next lowest and $250.00 lower than the highest, for four tires, mounted and balanced. This Lincoln Dealer takes better care of my Ford than the local Ford Dealers.

All smooth as silk.

TireRack states that at 4/32 most tires start to hydroplane. Main reason i am replacing my Michelin Exaltos with 63,000 miles on them.

I have 225/60/16H Primacy on my 2003 Outback. Right now I'm at about 33,000 miles on them and they are all in the 8/32 range.

Wonderful interstate tire, very stable and comfortable. Very good dry and wet traction for a grand touring all-season. Snow traction is above average. Slush and ice traction is their weakest area, but not really what they are designed for. An outatanding 3-season tire and an acceptable all-season.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Based on visual inspection and the way that some of the siping has completely worn out, I don't see them last more than 40K.

With that said, it may not be the tire.

It probably IS the tire. In P235/60R17 size, the Primacy MXV4 is one of the OES tires for the Toyota Sienna minivan. Toyota specified certain design parameters and behaviors for the tires for their Sienna, and as with most OES tires, long life generally isn't one of the top priorities.

A key clue here is the UTQG treadwear rating. Look at the chart on Tire Rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXV4

And click the "Specs" tab if it's not already showing. Notice how most sizes carry a treadwear score of 620? And notice how a fewer number of sizes carry a lower treadwear score of 500? These are often the OES tires--the ones with the lower treadwear score.

Most tire manufacturers offer the same tire warranty across the board on a tire model (like the Primacy MXV4). For this tire, it's 60,000 miles. Those who own one of the sizes with a 620 treadwear score are more likely to make the mileage warranty than those who own one of the sizes with a 500 treadwear score.

@Hokiefyd... I believe you're right! I'm not sure how I'd overlooked that, as the UTQG information is usually something that I pay attention too. I suspect when I bought them that the 60K warranty overshadowed the 500 UTQG rating.

I probably would have been better off with my other two top considerations at the time (i.e. 2.5 years ago) which were the Goodyear Assurance Comforted which is UTQG rated at 700 and the Kumho Solus KR21 which is UTQC rated at 680.

I have these tires on my Accord; they are the replacements for the OEM Energy's, and have 40,000+ miles on them. I fully expect them to go beyond the 70,000 miles I got out of the energy's, perhaps between 75k-80k before I need replacements. They have been trouble-free and solid performers. I'll go back to them unless something superior comes down the pike between now and then.

I would agree with Hokiefyd. We had the Primacy MXV4 as OEM (size P235/60/17) on our Toyota Sienna minivan. While I've been a fan of the Primacy MXV4 on other vehicles (had them with great results on a 2008 Honda Accord and 2010 Subaru Forester), these particular tires were down to 4/32 at 14,000 miles on the Sienna.

We replaced them with Bridgestone Dueler Ecopia 422s. We'll see how long these last.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: barlowc
Based on visual inspection and the way that some of the siping has completely worn out, I don't see them last more than 40K.

With that said, it may not be the tire.

It probably IS the tire. In P235/60R17 size, the Primacy MXV4 is one of the OES tires for the Toyota Sienna minivan. Toyota specified certain design parameters and behaviors for the tires for their Sienna, and as with most OES tires, long life generally isn't one of the top priorities.

A key clue here is the UTQG treadwear rating. Look at the chart on Tire Rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXV4

And click the "Specs" tab if it's not already showing. Notice how most sizes carry a treadwear score of 620? And notice how a fewer number of sizes carry a lower treadwear score of 500? These are often the OES tires--the ones with the lower treadwear score.

Most tire manufacturers offer the same tire warranty across the board on a tire model (like the Primacy MXV4). For this tire, it's 60,000 miles. Those who own one of the sizes with a 620 treadwear score are more likely to make the mileage warranty than those who own one of the sizes with a 500 treadwear score.

IF I was in a state that doesnt get as much snow as ohio I'd definitely consider the primacy MXM4 over the PRIMACY MXV4

NOTE THE PRIMACY MXM4 CAME out RECENTLY. AND DOESNT COME AS OEM.

THE OEM TIRE IS THE PILOT HX MXM4-->> totally different tire.

this is 3rd set of tires on my 2003 v6 accord ,original had michelin mxv4 -s8 they became just to noisy and hard at 40 k ,so decided to try Toyo touring = good tire but not as smooth /quiet as they claim......
so back to michelins mxv4 primacy and bingo !!! what a tire now have 80 k on them and just A+ in every way - ride,quiet,wet and dry traction !!
looks like they are good for at least another 40 k ,
o yea , i rotate every 10-15 k and keep air pressures at 34 psi front and 32 psi back
that is the key !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back