Price of gasoline and diesel across the pond

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Europe on a cruise. The price of diesel is a tad lower than gasoline. Both about 2 Euros per liter.

Adjust that to dollars per gallon and either the Europeans are getting screwed or US getting a bargain.

Not happy in the US that diesel is higher mainly because of $0.50 Federal tax on diesel vs $0.18 tax on gasoline. I have a diesel pickup and I am not tearing up the roads that need to be repaved like the 18 wheelers are. They pay high road use tax. Make the tax on gasoline and diesel the same. And put it into a dedicated highway fund.

18 wheelers tear up the roads multiplied by the 4th power of their axle weights. It's substantially more than smaller vehicles do.

I'm somewhat ok with subsidizing this... infrastructure makes a good country better and allows businesses and trade to flourish.

But if a trucker starts arguing about paying their fair share, they aren't.

Actually, few to none of us do, transportation budgets already run a deficit and are boosted by the general fund.

People who complain about high diesel prices and taxes are the same people that complain about having to pay so much for high octane gasoline, if you need the power of the diesel to do real work, you'll pay it, if you can't afford it sell it buy a proper economy grocery getter and quit whining, you want high performance you gotta pay to play.

All of my relatives live in the British Isles (my parents immigrated to the US) and they roll their eyes at our complaints about the price of "petrol". It came up again recently via Facebook when I shared a "memory" from 11 years ago where I grumbled about paying in the $3.50 range. My cousin said their price converts (from liters to gallons and pounds to dollars) to around $8.10/gallon. This was 11 years ago. My sister asked them what they're paying today, in this new age of "high" gas prices, and it's running around $8.30/gallon. 11 years later. (1) person is to blame ? Haha !! 😂😂😂

18 wheelers tear up the roads multiplied by the 4th power of their axle weights. It's substantially more than smaller vehicles do.

I'm somewhat ok with subsidizing this... infrastructure makes a good country better and allows businesses and trade to flourish.

Actually, few to none of us do, transportation budgets already run a deficit and are boosted by the general fund.
Commercial vehicles pay lots of Taxes

The price difference between gas and diesel is much more than the 32c difference you mention. It's more like $1 difference. Some of it is a difference in tax, but not all of it.

If we stop handing out billions to other countries, That would help out some. That is just one waste of our money. We can go on.

Adjust that to dollars per gallon and either the Europeans are getting screwed or US getting a bargain.
usa has big hungry cars and cheap fuels. who needs pickup truck just go to grocery store ?
eu people have small engine cars and already complaining because price going to 2€/L which is hurting low income people
in eu diesel was always cheaper, this was exposed by public. thats the reason diesel cars are popular.

I have a 3/4 ton pickup to haul my 27' boat when needed. The pickup has a diesel. All the good pollution stuff as from factory. I don't think I should have to pay more in fuel tax than if I drove a similar pickup with a gas engine. That's my point. Next they will have a road tax on DEF.

In Europe on a cruise. The price of diesel is a tad lower than gasoline. Both about 2 Euros per liter.

Not happy in the US that diesel is higher mainly because of $0.50 Federal tax on diesel vs $0.18 tax on gasoline. I have a diesel pickup and I am not tearing up the roads that need to be repaved like the 18 wheelers are. They pay high road use tax. Make the tax on gasoline and diesel the same. And put it into a dedicated highway fund.
This isn’t new. European prices have always been much higher due to taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back