Price of Diesel vs Gasoline 1980-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/10/20191015-fotw.html

Although the prices of gasoline and diesel have followed a similar trend, there are notable changes over time. From 1980 through 2004 the average annual diesel fuel price was below or nearly the same as regular gasoline, according to figures from the US Department of Energy (DOE).

From 2005 through 2018, the average annual price for diesel remained above that of regular gasoline and was 44 cents per gallon higher in 2018.

Does this coincide with the increase of taxes on diesel due to pollution as well as the introduction of ULSD?

In a previous career, I tracked gasoline and diesel prices on a weekly basis. My conclusion was that oil companies priced to where they could make more profit, with weak correlation to price of crude, season etc.
I see your information as oil companies transferring profit making from private citizens to corporations in the US from 2004 onward.
Corporations using trucking for goods transfers, which is where most diesel is used. But there is no free ride, corporate costs are ultimately passed through to consumers.
Reason for this is.....fill in the blank.

In Canada, price of diesel is typically lower than gasoline.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
In most of the world Diesel is cheaper than Gasoline.
Here in Spain usually about 10 cents / litre cheaper than 95 octane Gas ( 95 RON )

More vehicles use it so more of its made. Opposite in the US as we have a lot more gas vehicles. So economy of scale kick in per region. But Europe is moving toward more gas cars from diesel so that may change in the future.

Lots of Google threads on the topic. Here's the most common answers: https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=9&t=9

-Demand for diesel fuel and other distillate fuel oils has been relatively high, especially in Europe, China, India, and the United States.
-The transition to less polluting, lower-sulfur diesel fuels in the United States affected diesel fuel production and distribution costs.
-The federal excise tax for on-highway diesel fuel of 24.3 cents per gallon is 6 cents per gallon higher than the federal excise tax on gasoline.

I read some of it is because of our refinery infrastructure. One can only tweak the percentages so far of gasoline vs diesel distilled from each volume of crude oil. The infrastructure in Europe favors more diesel. It would cost too much to change our refinery infrastructure to produce more diesel.

Originally Posted by doitmyself

-The transition to less polluting, lower-sulfur diesel fuels in the United States affected diesel fuel production and distribution costs.

But not on a permanent basis...once changed over the refinery hardware would not require more investment.

IMO, it's capitalism. They'll squeeze fuel users as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back