Originally Posted By: BigJohn

$79 labor
$47 Oil (Castrol Syntec 5w40)
$0.30 New Crush Washer
$3.59 Tax
====================
$129.89

$79 for the labor? What a joke!

There seems to be an oil change war going on around our dealerships - the Hyundai dealer where we got our Impala has always had oil changes for $9.99; I asked them what they us, they said Mobil conventional with Napa Pro Select filters. When I got the car home, the oil level was correct and a Napa Pro Select was on it.

Pretty sweet deal IMO, but I still like to do it myself.

At my local Chevy dealership everything is a package deal now a days so for the synthetic option long with tire rotation and such I believe it'll cost short of between $150-175. I think..

On my last OCI on my truck (Dodge Durango 4.7 liter) it cost me only $25 bucks cuz I always take my own oil in for a change for them to use although many Chrysler Charger/Magnum/Challenger SRT's use synthetic now. Terrible past using Car Max cuz I took oil in for them to use and they returned to me two quarts!!! They thought my V-8 only took 4 quarts.

Durango

We have one new car dealer in town (Ford) and they charge a very low $19.95 for a basic oil change which is the cheapest around. I can't remember the last time I let someone else change my oil, but I have talked to the service manager there about it. He said they lose a few dollars on the service, but it gets people in the door where they can either up sell to the 2nd or 3rd tier oil change or just on other services in general (trans. flush, brakes, etc.).

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: BigJohn

$79 labor
$47 Oil (Castrol Syntec 5w40)
$0.30 New Crush Washer
$3.59 Tax
====================
$129.89

$79 for the labor? What a joke!

Not really. That's probably 1 hour labor at a discount, as that's what some dealers allow for an oil change, rotation and inspection.

For instance, my friend's VW had a 20k done at a local dealer. Brake flush, cabin air filter, oil change, rotate and inspect. 1.6 hours was billed out at $130/hr and was charged at the full ~$210.

On the other hand, the oil change performed on my friend's Prius was billed out at .5 hours. But the actual labor was discounted to $21.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I've NEVER had my oil changed at a Stealership and NEVER will. IF I HAD to not do it myself, I'd go anyplace but one.

They are NOT the place to get anything but warranty work done. (and I try to avoid that)

But to answer the question, the Ford stealership that I went to last week looking at cars had a $39.95 oil change sign up. Incl 4 quarts of oil (of course, each quart after that was "only" $6.99)

Bill

Thats a pretty broad statement. Because non-dealer shops send their techs to factory training all the time. And because all cars are just nuts and bolts. Right, tell that to the numerous people who bring their cars in to have them repaired here at the dealer when some other shop "tried" to fix their problems.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
My dealer has express lube. It's just 30 minutes or so.

??? I have no express lube here, and we get every oil change & tire rotation out in 20-30 min. No appointment needed.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I've NEVER had my oil changed at a Stealership and NEVER will. IF I HAD to not do it myself, I'd go anyplace but one.

They are NOT the place to get anything but warranty work done. (and I try to avoid that)

But to answer the question, the Ford stealership that I went to last week looking at cars had a $39.95 oil change sign up. Incl 4 quarts of oil (of course, each quart after that was "only" $6.99)

Bill

Thats a pretty broad statement. Because non-dealer shops send their techs to factory training all the time. And because all cars are just nuts and bolts. Right, tell that to the numerous people who bring their cars in to have them repaired here at the dealer when some other shop "tried" to fix their problems.

May be a broad statement but something that I've DONE for over THIRTY years so I've done what I stated.

Seen enough at stealerships to prove to me my mindset. Sorry but I call them as I see it. Maybe at where you work it is not that way but EVERY place I've dealt with or visited has the problems.

Never had to have a vehicle "fixed" that was messed up by an independent service facility. And yeah all that factory training via DVDs (per the local Ford tech who messed up "fixing" my simple Taurus)

So since I'm the one with the money I'll do with it what I want. Until I see different (just the fact of some stealerships thinking that $130 an hour is a FACTUAL labor rate
crackmeup2.gif
) I'll stick with what is working for me.

Bill

??? I have no express lube here, and we get every oil change & tire rotation out in 20-30 min. No appointment needed.

The time it took to do an oil change, a mechanic drives the car to service bay to do the work then drive it out, is less than 30 minutes. But the time that a customer drive into parking lot of a dealer, had the oil change then drive away is usually more than 90 minutes. The waiting time is usually more than double the service time.

We are the same way...20-30 minutes. Our oil changes are 26.14 OTD (taxes/disposal) and we just switched to the mobil oil program for 5w30 mobil clean 5000 i think it's called. We also do a nissan filter and drain plug gasket+multi point inspection. Nissan is one of the few companies that if you see something on the inspection you can cover it under warranty (provided it's still under warranty). I deal with people ALL DAY LONG that get their oil changes else where (or DIY) and then come in when they screw something up and want it covered. True story (but not oil related)..I had a customer bring his tire pressure sensor to me because Discount Tire broke it (becasue they SELL a TMPS rebuild when you buy tires for 5.50) and THEY broke it!!! They told the customer it should have not broken and sent them to me for a "warranty replacement"....ahhhh NO! The best part was they were 85.62 higher than me for the tires OTD. People get the misconception that dealers are ALWAYS higher than other shops...it's not always true and there are plenty out there to give us a bad name, but bottom line to me is I would rather have someone who knows the vehicle than some person who's only training was a quick lube video and learn as you go.

That is just MHO.

Bill

May be a broad statement but something that I've DONE for over THIRTY years so I've done what I stated.

That is a good statement and if it works for you, that is great.

Seen enough at stealerships to prove to me my mindset. Sorry but I call them as I see it. Maybe at where you work it is not that way but EVERY place I've dealt with or visited has the problems.

I have worked in "stealerships" my entire adult life and have never had problems like you have spoken/wrote about.

Never had to have a vehicle "fixed" that was messed up by an independent service facility. And yeah all that factory training via DVDs (per the local Ford tech who messed up "fixing" my simple Taurus)

I wish we had training DVD's. All my techs are REQUIRED to be ASE certified and they are REQUIRED to go to training classes IN PERSON. These classes run approx 400-1000 each tech and are not free to the dealerships.

So since I'm the one with the money I'll do with it what I want. Until I see different (just the fact of some stealerships thinking that $130 an hour is a FACTUAL labor rate
crackmeup2.gif

That is true...you are the one with the money, so it is up to you...with freedom of choice you can do what you like, but for every one person like yourself with good luck at other shops I have 10 customers that I have to fix because they got hosed....and I'm okay with that, more business for me and repeat customers.

Oh and my labor rate is 85.00 for repairs and any maint is capped at 60 (brakes, etc).

Bill

Originally Posted By: SpAzZ
The best part was they were 85.62 higher than me for the tires OTD. People get the misconception that dealers are ALWAYS higher than other shops...it's not always true and there are plenty out there to give us a bad name

The price of almost anything at most dealers (not all dealers) is higher than elsewhere. Case in point: My neighbor paid almost $800 for Goodyear Integrity for their 2004-2005 Honda Pilot (235/70-16) at a local Honda dealer a year ago, I could get the exact same tire and size for less than $500 or I could get a much better tire for a minimum $200 less than what Honda dealer charged them.

I paid $14, shipping included, for a brake light switch and my dealer wants $32 for the exact switch, same manufacture and same part number.

Your dealer is the exception, not the norm.

My new car has a free oil change. I quizzed three different people (techs, service writer) on what weight oil they were going to use and all three gave me the wrong answer, and two of them were looking it up in the computer. Just one example of why I do not let others change my oil unless its a leased car.

This dealer is running a "special" of $29.99 change plus $2.50 for fluid disposal. Max 5 quarts. Dino oil. My car takes 7 quarts of synthetic so the special price they gave me is just south of 65 bucks, plus tax.

Cheapest in my town is $22.99 for bulk Agip 10w30 and an Autopart International oil filter at a local tire chain.

My brother pays $33.95 for an oil change and tire rotation on his 2008 Honda Accord Coupe at the local Honda Dealer. I believe they use genuine Honda oil and Honda filters. They are also 'supposed' to wash your car free but they always tell him that 'the car wash is broken' every time he has brought it there since the first few times he went there
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
My new car has a free oil change. I quizzed three different people (techs, service writer) on what weight oil they were going to use and all three gave me the wrong answer, and two of them were looking it up in the computer. Just one example of why I do not let others change my oil unless its a leased car.

But they are factory trained!

Agree. Want it done right? Do it yourself and know what you are doing. Esp with something as simple as a oil change.

Bill

I had 2 free oil changes when I bought Honda S2000 back in 2003, I made sure that they used 10W30 in my S2000 as opposed to 5W20 as in most Honda's. I told both service writer and the tech that this was a S2000 not Civic or Accord, and the required oil is 10W30. To be sure that they did it correctly, I stand outside the service bay and watch them use the Honda quart bottles that clearly mark 10W30, the bulk oil was 5W20.

Bill

crackmeup2.gif

Bill

I have to agree with Bill here. Todays dealership techs are parts changers and if the code scanner doesn't spell a problem out their trouble shooting skills suck. Maybe in each shop there are one or two ace mechanics, the odds of finding out who they are or getting one to work on your car is slim, at least where I live. Having one of them actually change your oil won't happen, you'll get the green pea who knows little to nothing.

I had bad luck with dealerships, screwing up work, then lie, and try and cheat me. I found it quite funny when I had a van in for warranty work and wanted to take advantage of the $8 tire rotation. What they didn't know was I had marked the tires. When I picked the van up I checked and found they weren't rotated. I asked the service writer if the tires were rotated, he said yes. I asked him to please make sure, giving him enough rope to hang himself. He called the tech over that worked on the van, and as he looked me in the eye swearing he rotated the tires I told him B_S then showed him how they were marked. He looked and felt like a fool, and couldn't believe I marked the tires. I know all the tricks, they think everyone is stupid. At that point they said they'd rotate the tires. I said no way. I mean give the guy a chance to get back at me by screwing something up on purpose, no thanks! That cost them the sale of another vehicle, and any future business dealings, all for an $8 tire rotation. The truth is the general public is pretty stupid so they fall prey. I say let the dealers prey on someone else.

Having said that I've met a few mechanics on this board that are the exception, willing to share and help, and know their trade. Maybe that's because they don't live or work in the NY metro area, and there could just be some honest dealerships elsewhere in the country. I worked in 5 different dealerships as a salesman, and each store was a rip off, especially when it came to the shop.

I found 2 local shops I trust. If I have a project I don't want to tackle they get my work. These guys care, they have too. They don't have the backing behind them to screw customers over. They need their customers happy, and referring them more work. The dealers around here don't care, not one bit! I try and stay as far from the dealers as I can. JMO

My father-in-law coughs up $32 at the local Chevy Dealer. After about an hour wait he gets and unknown brand and weight of oil (he gets a different answer every time he asks) and what looks like a AC Delco filter. It always looks like they overfill or underfill by a half quart.
As a bonus he gets free overtightening of the filter and drain plug plus a long list of expensive work he should have done "soon" to avoid "serious problems".

Originally Posted By: addyguy
It's actually a LOT easier to go throught a 'drive thru' quick-lube here than to go to the dealer. There are a TON of them here - Mr. Lube, Oil Changers, Pennzoil '10-minute', and CT has a couple.

They are never that busy, and you can easily be in and out in under 15-20 minutes total. If you are JUST after an OC, they are the way to go.

They are all pretty close in price - $39.98 - $44.98 is the range. You go to the dealer, you have to book an appointemnt, or wait to have it done - and that can take hours.

There's a new chain of fast lube places in Ontario called Economy Lube which advertises oil changes for $19.95. If I absolutely could not change my own oil (like if I got both arms cut off in a wood chipper or something!) then I'd go to them, as they've got a new location just up the road from me (it's located on Highway 10 just south of the 407, on the border of Brampton and Mississauga)

So far their website shows locations in Woodbridge, Kitchener/Waterloo, Guelph, Mississauga, Hespeler, Brantford, and Hamilton

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: addyguy
It's actually a LOT easier to go throught a 'drive thru' quick-lube here than to go to the dealer. There are a TON of them here - Mr. Lube, Oil Changers, Pennzoil '10-minute', and CT has a couple.

They are never that busy, and you can easily be in and out in under 15-20 minutes total. If you are JUST after an OC, they are the way to go.

They are all pretty close in price - $39.98 - $44.98 is the range. You go to the dealer, you have to book an appointemnt, or wait to have it done - and that can take hours.

There's a new chain of fast lube places in Ontario called Economy Lube which advertises oil changes for $19.95. If I absolutely could not change my own oil (like if I got both arms cut off in a wood chipper or something!) then I'd go to them, as they've got a new location just up the road from me (it's located on Highway 10 just south of the 407, on the border of Brampton and Mississauga)

So far their website shows locations in Woodbridge, Kitchener/Waterloo, Guelph, Mississauga, Hespeler, Brantford, and Hamilton

but if your arms got cut off you couldn't drive anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back