Price of An Oil Change At Your Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
20 minutes is too fast. They need to let all the old oil drain. I prefer the drive thru xpress that my dealer has. I can watch them do the change.

For the argument over dealerships, I'll make the following comparison.

When I first purchased my truck used, I decided I'd take it in for an oil change to my nearest GM dealer. When I arrived before 7AM, I waited until they opened their doors and sat down with the service adviser. She proceeds to pull out a large 3 ring binder and asks, "When would you like to have your oil changed?" I comment back, "Well, today would be good." She just looks at me and says, "Well you can leave it here and we'll have it done, most likely, today, but it could be tomorrow morning."

I thought to myself, you must be nuts. So I said no thanks and left. I got in my truck and called the dealer which I purchased my truck and spoke to an SA over there. I explained what just happened and that I wanted this done today. He says, "Well, when do you want to come in?" When I said this afternoon, he scheduled it right away. Before I hung up with him, I asked - "Now, when I have an appointment, you're actually going to put my truck on a lift and DO something, correct?" He just laughed and said, "Isn't that what an appointment IS?"

I went over there in the afternoon and it was done in 25 minutes.

Since then, I've driven the extra 30 miles to have work done by them. They've been responsible for all my warranty repairs and were responsible for most of my maintenance until the last few years, where I do as much as I'm capable myself.

My parents still go to dealership #1 and they get screwed alot over there, but no matter what I say, they just keep going. So do the in-laws.

The (anti/pro) dealership attitude needs to be taken with a grain of salt. There are the good and the bad, just the same with any other business.

I have had good luck with dealers ,I had all the oil changes done when the Malibu was under warranty,never a long wait and ac delco filter with mobil bulk.
I worked as a tech for 3 different Ford dealers when I was younger and for the most part they were fairly honest and competent, but no, not cheap!
There are good dealers and bad dealers and good techs and bad techs, Sometimes you have no choice but a dealer for some repairs because of proprietary software etc.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Originally Posted By: FZ1
My dealer has express lube. It's just 30 minutes or so.

??? I have no express lube here, and we get every oil change & tire rotation out in 20-30 min. No appointment needed.

The time it took to do an oil change, a mechanic drives the car to service bay to do the work then drive it out, is less than 30 minutes. But the time that a customer drive into parking lot of a dealer, had the oil change then drive away is usually more than 90 minutes. The waiting time is usually more than double the service time.

I don't know what your dealer is like. Mine you drive in into the service alne, with in two min you are singing your RO, and the work begins. Again, don't know what dealers are like in CA, but with the 15 years I've done this, and the 4 dealers I've worked for, thsi is how we operate. May be people in Detroit don't like to screw around and waste time. (if you've driven the hwys here you would agree lol)

Originally Posted By: bigmike

My parents still go to dealership #1 and they get screwed alot over there, but no matter what I say, they just keep going. So do the in-laws.

The (anti/pro) dealership attitude needs to be taken with a grain of salt. There are the good and the bad, just the same with any other business.

I wish people here would name the good dealers as well as the bad ones so they would know who to go to and who to stay away from. I sometimes use Bill Collins Ford in Lexington for a oil change [not often] and so far they have been OK.

I thought this board is here to help people and helping them stay away from bad stearlerships would be a very nice thing.

$250 at Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach includes 1 day free Mercedes rental. Cost me less than $20 to do it myself.

i have read this entire thread, and this post just amazes me. $250 for an oil change?

i am the first to admit, most people do not do their own maintenance. people in the neighborhood will see my car on ramps with an oil drain pan underneath it and ask what is wrong with my car. every [censored] time.

i know i see the world in old fashioned terms.

but $250 to let oil drip out of a car? it makes me wonder what it even is to be a man any more.

$250 at Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach includes 1 day free Mercedes rental. Cost me less than $20 to do it myself.

Fletcher Jones needs to go belly up as asap.

have to agree with Bill here. Todays dealership techs are parts changers and if the code scanner doesn't spell a problem out their trouble shooting skills suck. Maybe in each shop there are one or two ace mechanics, the odds of finding out who they are or getting one to work on your car is slim, at least where I live. Having one of them actually change your oil won't happen, you'll get the green pea who knows little to nothing.

I have to dissagree with you here. Most independent's are parts changers, as they like to plug in a scanner and and replace what could be related to their code. There is very little actual diagnosis. Just because there is a code for say a "Crank Shaft Position Sensor" doesn't me an that the sensor is bad. People roll into Autozone and get their free scan and replace a part. Then come to me because it didn't fix it.Any good dealer tech has actual trouble shooting skills and the ability to figure out a problem and jhow to go about fixing it. Instead of just change a part.

I had bad luck with dealerships, screwing up work, then lie, and try and cheat me. I found it quite funny when I had a van in for warranty work and wanted to take advantage of the $8 tire rotation. What they didn't know was I had marked the tires. When I picked the van up I checked and found they weren't rotated. I asked the service writer if the tires were rotated, he said yes. I asked him to please make sure, giving him enough rope to hang himself. He called the tech over that worked on the van, and as he looked me in the eye swearing he rotated the tires I told him B_S then showed him how they were marked. He looked and felt like a fool, and couldn't believe I marked the tires. I know all the tricks, they think everyone is stupid. At that point they said they'd rotate the tires. I said no way. I mean give the guy a chance to get back at me by screwing something up on purpose, no thanks! That cost them the sale of another vehicle, and any future business dealings, all for an $8 tire rotation. The truth is the general public is pretty stupid so they fall prey. I say let the dealers prey on someone else.
So that one issue is the reason you would never go back to a dealership? I wasn't there so I can not defend anyone, but I've had issues where a tech as forgotten to do something. It happens just like it can happen at any shop or in just about any business. Were they trying to scam you out of $8? I doubt it, but who kows.

Having said that I've met a few mechanics on this board that are the exception, willing to share and help, and know their trade. Maybe that's because they don't live or work in the NY metro area, and there could just be some honest dealerships elsewhere in the country. I worked in 5 different dealerships as a salesman, and each store was a rip off, especially when it came to the shop.

I found 2 local shops I trust. If I have a project I don't want to tackle they get my work. These guys care, they have too. They don't have the backing behind them to screw customers over. They need their customers happy, and referring them more work. The dealers around here don't care, not one bit! I try and stay as far from the dealers as I can. JMO
What is a rip off? And what about all the independent shops that you can't trust? There are far more fly-by-night shops out there looking to take advantage of customers than there are dealerships. Remember, a dealership needs the customers to be satisfied. They depened on the return business, not to mentiopn the CSI scores that dealers are graded on for their performance. Both customer pay and warranty customers are surveyd by Nissan after services, and those scores addect dealership money and employees paychecks. So to say they don't care is far from the truth. Im sure there is always an exception, but to put a dealership in one catagory and independent shops in another is just wrong. Working in Dearborn, we have endless (EDIT : REMOVED SLUR) shops both collision and mechanical, and talk about hack [censored] poor work. I've seen way to may people get screwed from these places, and then spend a bunch of money with me to fix their problems. Come straight to us first and save a lot of headache and money in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
people in the neighborhood will see my car on ramps with an oil drain pan underneath it and ask what is wrong with my car. every [censored] time.

I know, that's up with that, is everybody so freaking stupid and ignorant that they don't open their hoods anymore?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Is everybody so freaking stupid and ignorant that they don't open their hoods anymore?

The answer is YES!

I do not a know of a single person [ages 16-99] from Miami to NYC who opens the hood to check anything anymore. Whenever I check my oil people always come over to me asking me what is wrong within a couple of seconds.

Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE

I thought this board is here to help people and helping them stay away from bad stearlerships would be a very nice thing.

Negative. We are not going to have everyone list their bad dealerships here for 2 reasons.

1. Since we don't know BOTH sides of the story the board does not need to spend the time to try to get it.

2. Plenty of times a lot of the "bad" reports are not factual. We don't get ALL the info.

If you want to comment on a good or bad that is fine, but most times the bad comments get questioned by the other members here and then the truth comes out. And the good comments end up being some employee of the stealership being a shill.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Negative. We are not going to have everyone list their bad dealerships here for 2 reasons.

1. Since we don't know BOTH sides of the story the board does not need to spend the time to try to get it.

2. Plenty of times a lot of the "bad" reports are not factual. We don't get ALL the info.

If you want to comment on a good or bad that is fine, but most times the bad comments get questioned by the other members here and then the truth comes out. And the good comments end up being some employee of the stealership being a shill.

Bill

I see your point.

Agree with Mike. Just find a service oriented dealer in your area and let them do all the work. One reason I buy Honda is that the service charges are not crazy high. Never has my Honda dealer messed up my oil change. The express drive thru is set up so my car is never lifted,the techs work standing up, below the drive on floor,and my car is always in sight. All they do is oc all day long on Hondas,so they are less likely to mess it up than an independent shop. This is a service oriented society,boys. You pay your money and take your choice. For $15, my choice is to let my dealer do and document my hot oil changes.

our fleet of buses also includes about 36 van chassis in GMC and Ford, we do most service&repair in house but a lot of recalls,warranty work, and problems we just cant handle go to the dealers, I probably send vehicles to a dealer a few times a month and they are always fixed right the first time.
I almost wonder if it is a "Detroit" thing,we have the car companys here and good training for dealer techs, maybe in other states it is different.
I am not saying to take your car to the dealer for a brake job or routine maintenance but if you have a drivability or electrical problem etc. nobody can fix your specific car better than someone who works on that make every day, not to mention there direct tech support from the factory.

Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE
Originally Posted By: bigmike

I wish people here would name the good dealers as well as the bad ones so they would know who to go to and who to stay away from. I sometimes use Bill Collins Ford in Lexington for a oil change [not often] and so far they have been OK.

Good idea for another forum. I don't thin "bad" experiences is a good thing to have, because people bash places, again without hearing both sides. But positive experiences would be nice.

Do it yourself or take it to an indy mechanic. The only reason to take it to the dealer for an OC is if you have one of those vehicles with free maintenance

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Do it yourself or take it to an indy mechanic. The only reason to take it to the dealer for an OC is if you have one of those vehicles with free maintenance

That's the ONLY reason?

Many people here just posted good prices for oil changes, many with good experiences having the dealer do the work.

All of your records are kept at the dealer is also another good reason to do so. Easier to receive free warranty work and little burden of proof on your part.

I still change my own oil, but I can certainly understand those who cannot or do not taking their vehicle to a dealer service department they trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back