Preventing rust with nutzert use

Looking to install a set of rock sliders on my Renegade Trailhawk. I'll be putting brass nutzerts into holes in the body... what is the best way to prevent rust with these? I have to enlarge the factory holes and after that, I'll paint of course. I was thinking about using fluid film around them. Is there any other longer lasting treatments for where the nutzert touches the body? Annually I'll take the bolts out and spray inside with fluid film, as well as spraying the visible part of the nutzert. Open to any ideas, thanks!

I’m not concerned with the nutzert rusting, but the sheet metal around the hole it’s inserted in.

It's going to rust on a daily driver. There is no way round it.
I have one of the first sets of Poison Spyder Customs Rock sliders on my YJ but it is not a daily driver (see account pic). The nutsert will still scratch the body a bit as you tighten. The only way around rust is to clean, paint, install and then remove and take care of any rust that develops over a year or two. Stuff will get in between the body and slider, so seasonal cleaning is my recommendation.

What brand of slider?

Last edited:
That's going to be a pain to remove those every year. Would be nice if there were some holes with plugs you could just remove once a year and spray with fluid film or something similar

It's going to rust on a daily driver. There is no way round it.
I have one of the first sets of Poison Spyder Customs Rock sliders on my YJ but it is not a daily driver (see account pic). The nutsert will still scratch the body a bit as you tighten. The only way around rust is to clean, paint, install and then remove and take care of any rust that develops over a year or two. Stuff will get in between the body and slider, so seasonal cleaning is my recommendation.

What brand of slider?
Rocky Road Outfitters. How hard are the nutzerts to remove?

Back