Preventing Rust on 2015 F150

I have under 55k on my 2015 F150 which turns 7 years old September 2021. I am in an area of NY that gets snow and lots of salt is put down on the roads. I'd like to get a new car in late Fall 2022 and plan to keep the F150 for 15 or so years. That will be about 170k for what I intend to use it for. I'm pretty good about a car wash with underbody spray within a few days of a snowstorm ending. Being 6 years old I see some rust and was wondering if a spray treatment underbody is actually effective. I wanted to hear what you guys thought and also what product to use.

I use this stuff on woodworking machinery and it works well but I question durability/longevity in an auto application. Would it require a yearly application? Assume late fall the best time or multiple applications throughout the year? Would you have to start with the rust removed or does the product still work when spayed to the surface?

Reactions: JC1
It will need to be reapplied every year, at least in the high wear areas that get sprayed from the tires. I would apply early fall and let it collect dirt and road dust before the salt flys. It seems to build up an out layer if you let it do that.

You can spray over rust and it will be better than doing nothing for sure. But the more prep you do the better it will work in the long run.

I'm very pleased with how it's working on our cars. Every car i buy from here on out will get treated with fluid film.

There are a bunch of products to consider. But Ziebart or any hard rubber should be avoided. NH Coatings has a thick product that you can paint on areas (paintbrush) that will get a lot of road spray. Then use the spray for the rest.

I've used FF. The spray cans are easy to use but IMO not up to any sort of road spray. The thicker stuff that you can put into a sprayer is better, but it too washes off very quickly. I drive more than the typical person and found I wanted to do touchups halfway through winter.

Cheap, and better than nothing, but I will likely switch for any new vehicle I get (will keep using FF on the current fleet).

Getting the interior weld seams of doors, tailgate, rocker panels, fender wells, etc. is as important (probably more) as getting what you can see on the under carriage.

Krown has been a good choice for me.......so far. Thanks Trav for that research article. There is an older Canadian defense department study available online that compares the commercial products: Krown, Rust Check, and Corrosion Free.

Last edited:
Toyota uses the Noxudol product that Trav mentions when they replace a rusty truck frame. The product goes on the new frame. I think they wanted to use one of the best so they don’t have to do it again.

What about the Noxudol 750 and 1600 products? Where do they fit in?
The 1600 is good for wheel wells if they are metal (for this job I prefer Napa Stone guard covered when dry with 900), it has fibers in it. The 750 is very thin and contains mineral oil and better suited to inside panels that cannot be reached even with a wand eg rocker panels that have multi enclosed layers especially at the rear corners like old GM W bodies that can only be reached by "fogging".

The good news is that you have the aluminum alloy body on your F-150. So, you only need to worry about the underside. @Trav has some good advice.

****! You guys are in the know! Thank you all for the info. Now I only fear gas price hikes!! I'll look into the treatments and plan on action in the fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noxudol has a list of shops that offer the service, if you choose not to attempt it yourself. None listed in NH, but several in VT and MA

If you want to do it yourself, Noxudol sells them on Amazon. The seller is listed as Noxudol, and they also ship it. Since it's a marketplace item not fulfilled by Amazon, and it's Noxudol themselves, you can trust it to be real Noxudol :)

I understand it's my fault. I am in NY. I'm originally a New England boy and the NH map is what I feel will be my final resting point, just not there yet! Kids through college (2033) and I'll be off to winter wonderland in Lincoln NH!

I understand it's my fault. I am in NY. I'm originally a New England boy and the NH map is what I feel will be my final resting point, just not there yet! Kids through college (2033) and I'll be off to winter wonderland in Lincoln NH!

just re-read your OP and yeah I saw you said you're in NY now; sorry I missed that before :D :oops:

Anyway, there is a Noxudol shop near Albany, and some in CT. Lots of Krowns in upstate NY. Krown is popular and it will work fine if you do it every year, but Noxudol is better if you can do it (or drive to the Noxudol shop)

I've watched the reviews and while there are better products, I still use Fluid Film. Creature of habit I guess. Seems to work well on my F-150.
It's already 9 years old and only has 70K miles but the frame is pretty clean.

We live in W.Mass, but lived in NH and my wife grew up in Hillsboro.
We spend a lot of time up there and will likely retire on the other side of the Kanc. I believe NH is #1 for quality of life. LOL

I use a combination of Fluid Film and Cosmoline Rp-342.
every fall all body plugs get pulled and fluid film goes in. Hit the inside of the rocker panels heavy. Fluid film flows better but to me remains sticky to long.
The rest of the undercarriage gets black RP-342. This covers better, remains flexible and is chemical resistant. My Tahoe is 24 years old and still looks great.

Reactions: JC1
I've watched the reviews and while there are better products, I still use Fluid Film. Creature of habit I guess. Seems to work well on my F-150.
It's already 9 years old and only has 70K miles but the frame is pretty clean.

We live in W.Mass, but lived in NH and my wife grew up in Hillsboro.
We spend a lot of time up there and will likely retire on the other side of the Kanc. I believe NH is #1 for quality of life. LOL

I was born in Attleborough and still have family in Foxboro. I moved to western MA when I was about 2 and grew up in Northampton/Easthampton. I know nothing stays the same but boy I was lucky to grow up there 30 years ago. What an amazing place. I dreamed of a home/family in Hadley or Southampton myself.

I agree NH is truly exceptional if you can handle a real winter. I always liked the Lincoln area. I have been a fan of Woodstock Inn (really the Brewery!!) for getting on 30 years. PM me I have stories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have the best Red Ale ever! Food was amazing but since the takover I guess sin 2005ish? Still good but not amazing like it was.

Love that area. I haven't been since the VID. I can't stomach the influx even weekday. The litter and the ugliness has me very bothered.

Back