Pretty yellow K&N cartridge filter - Ford/Mazda

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Mazda dealership has the OEM version of this for less than $5. The OEM is made by Mann Filters.

I purchased a Baldwin for less than $5. It also was stamped Mann Filter.

I don't see the point paying $10+ for this new K&N. Most buy K&N for their sturdy case, and "nut". In this case, you get neither..

I agree...no one will see the pretty yellow media anyway. It's not as if this is a "rechargeable" oil filter. I'm using the Wix/Napa Gold filter right now which I bought for less than 5 at Napa. I'll probably order them from Fleetfilter for cheaper. I have a couple others that I have stored up like PureOne (which was eight) and the MotorCraft OEM(which was the same) but I'll probably look to buy those in bulk if I choose to go that route.

Tjones, btw, what was the Mazda filter number? I heard those were much cheaper and they were still high quality. I'd like to get a couple. It's for the 2.3, right?

Lonnie, i'm not sure if more vehicles are going to cartridges, but it makes sense to me. Some seem intimidated by the cartridge because they aren't used to it, but it doesn't take any more time to change the cartridge and there's less waste (no metal cannister spin on to trash). Plenty of Ford/Mazda applications use the cartridge where it's starting to be more profitable to produce.

MINI has been using cartridges in it's models as well. Unfortunately, they cut the entrance points for the threads all the way down so it's way too easy to crossthread.

As for brands, I would be a little more cautious as to what filter you use with a canister. I use OEM filters and can get them for $7 or 8 at the dealer. I use Napa/Wix on my other cars with spin-ons.

The Mann filter I have doesn't look anything like an OEM Mazda filter. That KN filter looks identical to the Mann filter.

There don't appear to be too many players yet in the cartridge filters. Purolator appears to only offer one level of filtration ..as do many others. I imagine that many are just outsourced for "filler" product until demand warrants tooling up to produce their own.

Quote:

There don't appear to be too many players yet in the cartridge filters. Purolator appears to only offer one level of filtration ..as do many others. I imagine that many are just outsourced for "filler" product until demand warrants tooling up to produce their own.

Gary, when you say Purolator appears to only offer one level of filtration, do you mean they only offer one line of filter for this application? If so, Purolator has this filter in their PPP AND PureOne lines as I have purchased both.

You are right though, I am unsure of the quality of most of the cartridges, even though you can clearly see the media. I don't know what I'm looking for, to be honest. The Wix media appears to be tighter and more plentiful and that spells quality to me, but again, I'm just not sure. I've compared these cartridges to one another and some, like the STP, appears to be of obvious lesser quality. I don't think I should see glue on the media.

Some guy in another forum dedicated to the vehicle I drive posted this:

"I do not use the wix, it is a paper, element. paper has no means of dirt holding, so the dirt is still in the engine for the most part. Purolator has a nice filter without paper, they use micro fiber, so does the Fram TG, I know you had a problem with them but the Fram TG is really the better element. I do not know about some of the other elements, I think Motocraft has the Micro fiber also."

Obviously, this seems like a bunch of B.S., but I asked him to identify his sources nonetheless. At least with the cartridge filters, you can see the quality...I just wish I knew what I was looking at.
laugh.gif

Quote:

Gary, when you say Purolator appears to only offer one level of filtration, do you mean they only offer one line of filter for this application? If so, Purolator has this filter in their PPP AND PureOne lines as I have purchased both.

For my son's Kia there appears to be no upper tier offering. Just the one filter. No PureOne level filter cartridge. Others report this as well. Maybe that was then and this is now.
dunno.gif

Lot's of misinformation out there in regard to your posting pal on the other forum.

All anyone has to say when they post something like that is, "I don't know this ..but I've heard that (fill in the blank). I have no idea how to find out if there's any weight to it or not ..but.." and they don't look like a fool.

globey

I did not get the Mazda OEM number of the filter, sorry. I just asked them to show me one when I was picking up the new car.

Yes, it is for a 2.3liter.

I did buy one of the Baldwin's when I was stocking up on filters for my other vehicles. A couple of years ago after reviewing the "Oil Filter Study", I determined Baldwin gave me the best filtration with the best flow for the money, especially their HPG series (synthetic $9). Their filters at the time were equal to or better (my opinion) than the Donaldson synthetic ($16) and the Amsoil SDF's ($12 or so).

I have not called Baldwin about this particular filter, but probably will about the time I need to use it. As I said above, it is stamped "Mann" on the filter and appears to be excellent quality.

The Baldwin number is:
PART NUMBER: P7313
Descriptions : Lube Element
Fits : Ford, Mazda Automotive
Replaces: Ford 3M4Z-6744-AC; Mazda L321-14-302
O.D. : 2 7/16 (61.9)
I.D. : 1 5/32 (29.4) One End
Length : 2 27/32 (72.2)
O_Ring : [2] Included

tjones, thanks...i've actually started to compile a listing for all the different brands for this application. I'm up to 13 so far. This could help you:

FL-2017B - Motorcraft OEM filter
L321-14-302-9U - Mazda oil filter
7203 - Napa Gold oil filter
52703 - Wix oil filter
L15505 Purolator Premium Plus oil filter
PL15505 Purolator Pure One oil filter
P7313 - Baldwin oil filter
HP-7013 - K&N oil filter
84203 - Carquest oil filter
LF594 - Hastings oil filter
CH9641 - Fram oil filter
P960 - Champ oil filter (Champion Labs)