Prestone’s push to 10 year coolants

AKA the most extensively proven and fielded coolant additive in history
What's the problem here? You do know 2-EHA is used in many different coolants, not just Dexcool?

It's one of the most proven OAT additives out there.

The old GM problems are history and weren't caused solely by the coolant used.

2-EHA may be proven at this point, but it’s NOT what those manufacturers want. Specifications mean something, they’re there for a purpose. Someone might try to swap something else in and be ok... but the outcome might not be what is desired.

I don’t mind Preston products, but when something is pushed on folks as one thing, and it’s a different thing, that’s an issue.

I’m not sure there’s a fluid that gets neglected in a vehicle more than coolant.

Ive had customers come in and we’ll ask them, have you ever changed the coolant? And they’ll say, no but I change the oil, didn’t know I had to change the coolant. And the car is sitting there ten years old with 180,000 miles on it. And quite honestly when we change it doesn’t look all that bad. I‘ve only seen a few cars where it really looked horrible and began causing problems (clogged heater core), but those were vehicles that were 15-16 years old. Never changed.

I mean, I’m not saying it’s not important to change it - I change mine at 80,000 miles and every other year thereafter.

I have one guy with a Ford Edge with Ford’s green coolant in it...he had 220,000 miles on it before we changed it. Now his front differential was a different story, that thing blew up at 120,000 miles because he never changed that “lifetime fluid”.

That lifetime fluid thing is just going to encourage already neglectful behavior to get worse. If you call reputable mechanic shops or transmission shops and ask them what they think about lifetime fluid.... 95% of them will tell you its a good idea to do regular maintenance.

I have 5 year Chrysler coolant in my 08 Jeep and 10 year Chrysler coolant in my 2018. I'll change both at 5 year intervals. I might move the JK to the new Chrysler coolant or this new Prestone. Not sure yet.

The only radiator problems I've had were a leaking one this year in the 2008. The passages were perfect, so it was unrelated to coolant. The 99 Mercedes E430 had a radiator replaced, but same deal, everything looked good. It ran Zerex G05, which Jeep has told me is the same as the Chrysler 5 year coolant.

When I change the 10 year stuff, I won't do a flush. Just a drain and fill, which is easy.

What nobody is talking about is the environmental impacts of having to change coolants. Ten years is far better than four, when you accept that a certain percentage - IMHO- of used coolant is NOT disposed of properly.
I agree. Mine goes to a local auto shop for recycling.

That lifetime fluid thing is just going to encourage already neglectful behavior to get worse. If you call reputable mechanic shops or transmission shops and ask them what they think about lifetime fluid.... 95% of them will tell you its a good idea to do regular maintenance.
Well the shops absolutely have a financial incentive to do so.

Dexcool was literally eating GM plastic intake gaskets. I know because I had one of those sludge monsters.
It would have never been a problem had GM not used crap gaskets. Intake gasket failure was common on the '94 & early '95 models of the Gen III 3100 which predated Dexcool. The issue was resolved later on with redesigned / more robust gaskets. Millions of vehicles are driving around with the same Dexcool and aren't spitting out intake gaskets every 60k.

The sludge was caused by cooling system neglect, usually low coolant level allowing air in the system or continuing to drive with a failing intake manifold gasket, usually to the point of engine failure.

It would have never been a problem had GM not used crap gaskets. Intake gasket failure was common on the '94 & early '95 models of the Gen III 3100 which predated Dexcool. The issue was resolved later on with redesigned / more robust gaskets. Millions of vehicles are driving around with the same Dexcool and aren't spitting out intake gaskets every 60k.

The sludge was caused by cooling system neglect, usually low coolant level allowing air in the system or continuing to drive with a failing intake manifold gasket, usually to the point of engine failure.
Air in the cooling system caused by junk plastic radiator caps and no degas tanks didn't help either (causing the rusty Dex sludge-o-death).

Sure it does! I thought we just had a discussion about 10W30 vs straight 30 "coolant"? The oil cooler in the fan shroud is an air cooled Veedub's "radiator"!
75FB61B7-D17D-4EC6-9382-DC253B19820D.jpeg

The later porsches had a dedicated oil radiator, some even had two

Last edited:
I’m not sure there’s a fluid that gets neglected in a vehicle more than coolant.

Ive had customers come in and we’ll ask them, have you ever changed the coolant? And they’ll say, no but I change the oil, didn’t know I had to change the coolant. And the car is sitting there ten years old with 180,000 miles on it. And quite honestly when we change it doesn’t look all that bad. I‘ve only seen a few cars where it really looked horrible and began causing problems (clogged heater core), but those were vehicles that were 15-16 years old. Never changed.

I mean, I’m not saying it’s not important to change it - I change mine at 80,000 miles and every other year thereafter.

I have one guy with a Ford Edge with Ford’s green coolant in it...he had 220,000 miles on it before we changed it. Now his front differential was a different story, that thing blew up at 120,000 miles because he never changed that “lifetime fluid”.
A comment that I would add to this is that for those of you who have smelt an open radiator with VERY old neglected coolant. You know it is one of the worst smells imaginable and it sure motivated me to keep mine fresh.

Same principle goes for flossing your teeth.

Last edited:
Back