Prestone PS fluid not on the Cardone Approved List

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced my PS pump about 18 months ago with a rebuilt from O'reilly' along with all new hoses. Drained the cooler and gearbox. Flushed with new prestone PS fluid. This past few months, there was a lot of noise on very cold mornings for a few seconds after startup. This past weekend, the pump was whining when the engine was warm during parking lot maneuvers, but not when the vehicle was stationary.
Fluid was very dark so I did the turkey baster method to replace the fluid in the reservoir a few times, and all sounds normal. So I went looking for a synthetic PSF since the last Prestone fluid only lasted about 18 months.

Came across an article from Cardone's website about proper fluid and that there is no API spec for PS fluid. "NOT ALL POWER STEERING FLUIDS ARE CREATED EQUAL" was the title of the article
http://www.cardone.com/tech-help/steerin...e-created-equal

So I clicked on the link of approved/tested fluids and Presone PS fluid is not on the list. I downloaded the PDF and checked when it was created. It shows the PDF was created March 2015 (though I can't determine when the list was made, just the PDF)
http://www.cardone.com/docs/default-source/product-pgs/webapprovedpsfluids.doc

Is Prestone PS fluid no bueno? Is it manufactured by another brand that is on the list?

Vehicle is a 96 GMC K2500 w/o Hydroboost

I used Red Line synthetic PS fluid on the GMC C3500 in my sig when I replaced the PS pump & hydroboost (again, they were both remans that I took off), it's been fine ever since. The hydroboost/PS systems seem to run hot, they could actually use a bigger cooler, or bigger pump reservoir.

Originally Posted By: Cmobile
I replaced my PS pump about 18 months ago with a rebuilt from O'reilly' along with all new hoses. Drained the cooler and gearbox. Flushed with new prestone PS fluid. This past few months, there was a lot of noise on very cold mornings for a few seconds after startup. This past weekend, the pump was whining when the engine was warm during parking lot maneuvers, but not when the vehicle was stationary.
Fluid was very dark so I did the turkey baster method to replace the fluid in the reservoir a few times, and all sounds normal. So I went looking for a synthetic PSF since the last Prestone fluid only lasted about 18 months.

Came across an article from Cardone's website about proper fluid and that there is no API spec for PS fluid. "NOT ALL POWER STEERING FLUIDS ARE CREATED EQUAL" was the title of the article
http://www.cardone.com/tech-help/steerin...e-created-equal

So I clicked on the link of approved/tested fluids and Presone PS fluid is not on the list. I downloaded the PDF and checked when it was created. It shows the PDF was created March 2015 (though I can't determine when the list was made, just the PDF)
http://www.cardone.com/docs/default-source/product-pgs/webapprovedpsfluids.doc

Is Prestone PS fluid no bueno? Is it manufactured by another brand that is on the list?

Vehicle is a 96 GMC K2500 w/o Hydroboost

Just realized I posted in the wrong forum. Sorry.

Thanks, I was thinking that if I have to replace my pump again, may replace the gearbox as well with ACDelco Pro, but will definitely run synthetic. I have heard great things about Redline.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I used Red Line synthetic PS fluid on the GMC C3500 in my sig when I replaced the PS pump & hydroboost (again, they were both remans that I took off), it's been fine ever since. The hydroboost/PS systems seem to run hot, they could actually use a bigger cooler, or bigger pump reservoir.
BTW, both my PS pump & hydroboost are A1-Cardone, from AAP.

That's interesting info. I've started using Valvoline Maxlife P/S fluid in my cars and haven't been having any problems with it, but I see its on their approved list.

I wish that they would list the ones that they tested but failed, if any. For example, AMSOIL isn't listed. Also, no automaker fluids are explicitly listed but surely they passed per their first paragraph to use OE fluid.

PS fluid has to be the most neglected fluid in a vehicle - and an expensive (and intrusive) system when it goes out.
I swap a 16 ounce bottle per year - and after buying a 200cc oil syringe - a baster is for November only ...
Besides 3/4 of mine are electric ... got to work on that last one ☝️

Recommended fluid for my Chevy is GM AC/Delco power steering fluid. It's nowhere to be seen on the Cardone list.

I have little faith in most things Cardone - and I'd imagine a GM/Saginaw steering system using a mineral fluid with a sulfur-phosphate add pack isn't going to complain much as long as the fluid is in OK shape. I used Prestone and AZ fluid interchangeably with no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back