Prestone all makes all models - Disguised Dexcool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small block chevy v8 which is currently running the greenish/yellowish prestone all makes all models coolant. I figured it was similar to the old school green stuff, which is what these engines came with and never gave it a second thought. After doing some reading here, I'm finding out that it's similar to the DexCool formula and dyed a different color?! The first thing that came to my mind was the intake gasket failures that plagued Vortec 5.7's and I definitely don't want this fate for my engine.

Has the formula been changed enough to where it's safe to run in older engines like mine, or was I tricked into dumping poison into my cooling system? What would be the best coolant to replace it with?

What year? I think its been a conclusion that most type of all makes/all models are DexCool clone.

Remember the intake gasket problem was due to the fact that the intake gasket had some plastic in it. The 2-EHA in DexCool was attaching the plastic. I doubt your engine has the problem with plastic as part of the intake manifold.

If your vehicle came with "ole green" from the factory, I would run Xerex G-05. Its long life and will be fine if the engine originally had" ole green". I did that in my 1993 Suburban with 5.7L.

Last edited:
The "old school green" coolant is still available, you just haven't been to the right place yet. Find a a farmer's supply store, or try a truck stop. They'll have it.

It is probably OK but I would replace it. Make sure if you do to flush all the old out. I use Peak Conventional Green in my older Chevy and Dodge. I get it at AAP. I think O'Reilly's has a house brand conventional green. The G05 suggestion would be a good choice if you want a longer life fluid.

Prestone is now an organic acid inhibited coolant with 2 EHA. Its not exactly DexCool, but its very close.

"Old School Green" is getting harder and harder to find, but its out there. Most parts store "house brand" coolant is still old inorganic inhibited green, made by Old World Industries (Peak).

In my opinion, a better replacement for old green is G-05 (Zerex in the gold jug, Mopar, or Motorcraft Gold). Its organic acid inhibited, but still has silicates for fast protection, and doesn't use 2EHA as one of its organic acids.

I wonder if the OAT coolant is causing the problems with the heater core issues in some of the newer Jeep Wranglers I've been reading about? Or if it is actual casting sand that wasn't properly cleaned out???? These things are getting plugged up to the point where they have to replace the radiator, heater core, thermostat, and an oil cooler/heater that uses coolant to get the oil to temp a bit faster. It is killing water pumps too. Some claim it is the coolant others a lousy job of removing casting sand.

Castings from Mexico commonly have casting sand in them. Poor quality control down there. That place is just good for cheap labor. I would flush and fill if I had any engine from there.

The truck is a 1977. It's a recovery tank type system, not the newer style pressurized reservoir that newer vehicles have. It does have a newer style replacement radiator with an aluminum core and plastic end tanks. I remember that Dexcool also had issues in older vehicles without pressurized reservoirs because there is always a little bit of air in the system and it caused some sort of reaction.

Cost being no object, I'm assuming the G-05 is just a better coolant in general and should help water pump life and radiator life over the old conventional green?

Last edited:
We've had the cheap prestone AMAM stuff in the boat (twin 1986 454s, non-pressurized overflow tanks) for at least 10 years. Not a single leak or issue because of it, although I'm sure it's not the ideal coolant for it.

Thanks everyone! I also have a 1998 Toyota Celica with 109K on it, and what I believe to be the factory fill of toyota red coolant. The coolant looks great but obviously way overdue for a flush if it really is original to the car. Would G-05 also be a good choice for this car?

I was very close to putting Prestone AMAM into this car too, glad I came here first.

Toyota red would be a good choice for this car. I've used it for over a half-million miles in both my cars, and the cooling systems are pristine inside. I do change out the water pump with the timing belt "just because", but it has been in excellent condition. The pump on my ECHO has never needed replacing.

Originally Posted By: Pyrotechnic
Thanks everyone! I also have a 1998 Toyota Celica with 109K on it, and what I believe to be the factory fill of toyota red coolant. The coolant looks great but obviously way overdue for a flush if it really is original to the car. Would G-05 also be a good choice for this car?

I was very close to putting Prestone AMAM into this car too, glad I came here first.

What is a fair price to pay for a gallon of Toyota red concentrate? Seems most quality non universal concentrate goes for around $15 to $18 a gallon at the parts stores. I know the dealership will be a bit more but I don't want to get ripped off.

I pay $26 a gallon at my local dealer.

Originally Posted By: Pyrotechnic
What is a fair price to pay for a gallon of Toyota red concentrate? Seems most quality non universal concentrate goes for around $15 to $18 a gallon at the parts stores. I know the dealership will be a bit more but I don't want to get ripped off.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Prestone AMAM is all you need... Just do a good drain and fill and be done with it...

This. It's in millions of coolant systems by now. If there was a widespread problem, we would have heard about it.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Prestone AMAM is all you need... Just do a good drain and fill and be done with it...

This. It's in millions of coolant systems by now. If there was a widespread problem, we would have heard about it.

Any problems using it as a replacement for HOAT or OAT coolants? What about cars under an extended warranty using the above coolants? Thanks.

If one has no concerns about gasket, O-ring or hose compatibility with 2eha in the universal Dexclones, then go for it. I would say it's at least good to be educated about those 2eha concerns, especially in vehicles not spec'd for a 2eha Dex based AF. Link below does as good a job of explaining the concerns as any I've seen. The universal dexclones containing 2eha do make up the greatest majority of AF's sold at auto parts and other stores.

For the OP, G-05 or a low silicate Original Green would work. Also full strength Peak Global Lifetime would be a good option imo.

http://articles.sae.org/11284/

I stated this because it is a 1977 Chevy V8...

Thanks everyone. While the Prestone AMAM may be OK, I just don't want anything to do with 2-EHA or Dexcool after what I've seen it do. It seems that Peak Global Lifetime and Zerex G-05 are by leaps and bounds better coolants and readily available.

I just bought 2 gallons of Zerex G-05 from Oreilly's for the truck. They didn't have it out on the sales floor with the rest of the antifreeze, but I knew they had it in stock from checking the website. I suppose it would make an already tough choice even tougher for customers with all the different formulas and colors out there. I went up to the counter and asked for it and the guy walked to the back and brought out 2 gallons. Just have to know to ask for it I guess.

The Toyota will also get G-05 soon. While the Toyota red coolant has proven itself great, so has G-05 in plenty of cars. I'd really like to get all the cars running on one common coolant so that keeping the systems topped off is easy and cost effective (for example, not having to buy expensive dealership coolant that can only be used for that one car, especially if only needing to add a little bit).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back