Ford yellow coolant

I accidentally came across this observation when I purchased some Prestone Dexcool for my 2008 Chev Suburban. On the back of the jug, it showed a chart of the years that Prestone recommended their Dexcool for GM, Chrysler and Ford products. In 2018 Ford switched to their yellow coolant and now Prestone recommends their 10 year All Vehicles coolant for 2018 onward Ford products. I also checked a Ford forum for some additional tips on it. For the Ford fans, enjoy. I’ll rely on the coolant experts to discuss the OAT, and POAT, etc issues. The opinions on the Ford forum are not necessarily fact checked AFAIK.

540330F8-1FBC-45EC-AAE8-54A1960416D0.jpeg
1099F173-6151-4E4F-9C89-981711A1AF9C.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MM8
Ford has been using the yellow coolant for years and years now. I've heard they switched to yellow because the orange stuff was causing problems with certain vehicles. I switched my older ford over to it because it was due for a coolant change anyways.

I've seen some posters here say that Prestone All Vehicles is basically identical to Motorcraft yellow.

AFAIK, Ford did call out for Prestone Cor-Guard in a TSB for loss of cabin heat on the F-150 and Transit. They used CAB heater cores, and the phosphates in Cor-Guard was the magic bullet to prevent damage in the replacement parts.

Interestingly enough, OWI(they have CCI Illinois supply their coolants) and Prestone’s Command line have introduced a 2-EHA free pHOAT under the Final Charge and Command labels - class 7/8 trucks and buses(more so school buses and tour coaches, copper and solder still rule the transit bus market) use a lot of CAB aluminum heat exchangers.

Back