pressure washer, electric or petrol engine?

looking to replace my nilfisk pressure washer that has a burned out motor. cant even get a replacement motor for it.
seen various reasonable priced petrol/gas based models that look to have lawnmower style engines.
e.g: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SwitZer-...00PSI-6-5HP-Engine-With-Gun-Hose/380330056804

do these petrol engines last longer than electric motors? i dont mind the usual maintenance like oil change etc, i clean block paving in the garden so need something that can run for around 6 hours continuous for the 1 or 2 days a year it will be used.
information and opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

I liked my Ryobi electric pressure washer but I got tired of having the unit anchored to the house at two separate points (electricity and water). It made it inconvenient to move around so I bought a gas unit and it has been great!

With either the pump will go long before the engine/motor.

on my electric nilfisk the pump is still fine after a teardown but electric motor is toast. thats why im a bit more cautious of electric motors for these sort of heavy duty jobs. well, cheapo electric motors that is. kranzle seem to be good but costs almost triple the gas powered washer in my original post.

I'm no expert, but I've owned a Campbell Hausfeld gas pressure washer that I bought back in 1999. I hated using that thing. I was noisy and would jump all around the driveway. Had to put some bricks on it to make sure it did ram into my car and damage the paint job.

It was a cheaper gas powered unit. Fast forward to now, I just bought the cheapest electric unit I could get at walmart. Works well enough for me to clean the bbq and anything else that needs it. Hose has a few leaks that I need to use some of that sealing tape on. I like the fact that once you are off the trigger the noise stops.

If you are running a professional business then maybe I would buy a gas unit.

If you get one with a Honda engine, then you know you'll never have problems fixing the power side of things. The pumps are usually not rebuildable unless you are above a certain tier, but pumps can also be taken care of and will last a while.

I have a Simpson unit with the Honda GCV190 and it has more than enough power (and noise and exhaust along with that).

If an electric pressure washer has the PSI and flow needed to do what you need done then I say electric. Gas is just more of a PIA. With electric when you release the trigger the motor stops shortly. With a gas one it goes into bypass mode which heats up various parts. You cannot leave the gas one running for more than a minute or two (with trigger not pulled) without risking damage to the pump. With electric you can bring inside the basement for winter with no worries (gas or oil heat). With a gas one you should not be bringing it into basement for the winter if your heat has a flame like gas or oil.

Reactions: JC1
I had an electric power washer 20 years ago because it was cheaper. When it burned up about 4 or 5 years ago I bought a gas powered one. It is nice to not have to play with water and electricity... I also like the increased functionality of my Generac gas powered power washer. I can usually run mine several hours on max pressure before running out of fuel.

whats the engine size? the ones which are around 200cc seem to have around 3.5 liter fuel tank. how many hours can it run for before it runs out of gas?

For how long have you owned the Nilfisk? I've been using a E130 model for about 9 years and the pressure unit has been faultless. The only problems I find with Nilfisk are the triggers have very short service, only lasting 1 to 2 years before leaking and the hose if very hard to manage and prone to kinking and looping especially if you wind it in every time after use. I have replaced the hose with a better quality (rubber feel) more flexible hose and next time I'll see if there is an alternative brand compatible trigger /gun. Personally, I would be in no rush to buy a engine pressure washer.

Nilfisk had for just over 2 years. Probably lasted 20hours of use till the smoke came out

This is a subject that I'm also interested in. I've never owned a pressure washer before, but I've used a few of friends. All of them gas. Of course the gas models almost always produce more pressure than the electric. But I'm curious, for what type of tasks does anyone use the higher pressure for, that an electric won't do? In my thoughts, the disadvantage of gas is noise and smell. And of course increased maintenance, but I'm not too concerned about that part.

One of the most frequent jobs I'll use a pressure washer for is washing the cars. It seems that an electric model would be much more suited for this, since there is a lot of idle time between times of use. No worry about the pump or motor overheating during idle time. Is my reasoning sound, or not? Any other thoughts about this?

I hadn't thought about what APWillard points out, about the cord and hose coming from different locations. That seems like a valid disadvantage to an electric unit.

BHopkins, I agree that electric is great for washing cars. Gas gives you higher pressure and volume which helps for washing large areas like a driveway or siding, but for washing cars, I would choose electric (even though I only own gas) for the reasons you stated.

I have had both and the electric is fine for occasional light duty/small jobs, but its volume/pressure cleaning power is inherently limited by the amount of energy that can be pulled In through the cord. Even a cheap gasoline fueled washer delivers more pressure and volume and is MUCH faster on larger jobs. For driveways and walkways a rotary surface cleaner is a must have accessory to go with your new pressure washer.

Is it worth me getting a used unit? Seen one gas powered using honda gx390 motor. Its in my price range but advertised as having "slight dips in pressure". Not sure if its a issue with the motor or the pump.
Has a EZ4040G by general pump brand so dont know if it's good or bad?

Works out cheaper and can put a triplex pump on it insted of the ready built machines that come with those wobble plate pumps.

Back