pressure washer, electric or petrol engine?

I just did my parents driveway which has a drainage issue and has not been done in years with a Sun Joe electric......I probably worked for about 5 hours...It was powerful enough to get the job done and I do not regret this purchase as I do not use it enough to warrant a more powerful gas model.
20200826_101313.jpg
20200826_101315.jpg

Screenshot_20200828-032509_Gallery.jpg

my nilfisk electric one did a good job too just that it didnt last long enough. hence why im looking for something thats gonna last for a very long time.

It came with a 2 year warranty and the reviews were good. It is a brushless electric motor so the durability should be good.

Had a 1600 psi 1.1 gpm electric that barely did anything. Took a day to pressure wash my deck. This spring, I bought a 2900 psi 2.something gpm Ryobi from home depot. Massive improvement; got the deck done in a half hour, and it's much easier to only drag the hose around. The bad news is I've blasted the clear coat off my car bumpers, but that's on me.

I went with this one in the end:
Gas powered.
Didnt feel like spending much more on something im gonna use one day a year.

It says the engine comes dry and needs oil. Is there any special oil it needs or will regular car oil do? I have some left over 5w40 shell full synthetic stuff. Is that ok or should i get some specific stuff for this kind of engine?

Hmm will look into getting one. Will need one to work with lower flow rate since my washer is probably 2.5 gallons flow rate.
Dunno if thats US or UK gallons either..

I went with this one in the end:
Gas powered.
Didnt feel like spending much more on something im gonna use one day a year.

It says the engine comes dry and needs oil. Is there any special oil it needs or will regular car oil do? I have some left over 5w40 shell full synthetic stuff. Is that ok or should i get some specific stuff for this kind of engine?
You can use the 5w40 Shell oil with confidence. A quality automotive oil is what it needs.

I noticed the washer i got uses a 212cc engine. That also seems to be a common size like the 196cc. Do these manufacturers of small engines have to stick to certain cc sizes or are they just copying other designs?

This is a subject that I'm also interested in. I've never owned a pressure washer before, but I've used a few of friends. All of them gas. Of course the gas models almost always produce more pressure than the electric. But I'm curious, for what type of tasks does anyone use the higher pressure for, that an electric won't do? In my thoughts, the disadvantage of gas is noise and smell. And of course increased maintenance, but I'm not too concerned about that part.

One of the most frequent jobs I'll use a pressure washer for is washing the cars. It seems that an electric model would be much more suited for this, since there is a lot of idle time between times of use. No worry about the pump or motor overheating during idle time. Is my reasoning sound, or not? Any other thoughts about this?

I hadn't thought about what APWillard points out, about the cord and hose coming from different locations. That seems like a valid disadvantage to an electric unit.

I got a Sunjoe 2030 PSI electric, it's excellent for washing cars. I can do it early in the morning without waking the neighbors. I'd never crank a gas engine at 6am. I do wish it had greater GPM. Electrics (that I've found online) can't match a gas-powered on GPM.

I got small electric one for washing cars. Auto start stop and quiet operation and being light weight are its advantages. But for cleaning block paving and concrete its not good enough

Used the petrol washer today and omg its amazing. Got the entire garden done in under 3 hours. Machine was on for around 1.5hours or less. Very good on fuel economy too. I filled the tank from 5ltr jerry can once only and machine still had fuel in it when i finished. Jerry can from the looks of it has around 1.5ltr fuel left in it. So very impressed.
To make things a bit simpler can i get quick connect couplings for the lance hose? Its got 22mm threadded on the pump side and a smaller thread size on the actual lance.

Back