Pressure Plate symtpoms Clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I purchased my del sol from a cheapo dealer that said the clutch was replaced. However I suspect that's all he replaced was the friction disc. The transmission seems generally noisy to some degree, no major rattling like an input/release bearing and no grinding.

I noticed that the clutch starts to catch early but doesn't really fully engage till near the top. I also noticed there is a lot of grabbing at low speeds with 1st gear. Could this be a symptom of a worn Pressure plate?

Reverse seems to engage stronger than the normal upshift gears.

I'd say if the pressure plate friction surface was really worn out, the clutch would not be chattery/grabby at all, and would feel like it's almost slipping. Grabbiness/chattering is mainly from either oil on the disk/flywheel or scored friction material on both the disk and pressure plate from excessive heat.

Well when i first drove the car I had really stiff boots on and dropped the clutch around 5K on accident. It was kind of fun, but may have glazed the disc.

I guess the best way is to crack open the transmission. MORE WORK =)

On my linkage actuated clutch on my Chevy pickup ..the pp went bad. It would grind going into reverse all the time and getting it into 1st gear was high effort.

WOW, funny how a bad pressure plate causes grinding and hard shifting into reverse. It is a bit hard to get into first for me from a complete stop, but I heard that's usually normal for older higher mileage hondas.

Most hondas I've drove have the engagement point near the top.

Check the fluid level. The fluid should be to the bottom of the fill plug on the side.

You could also try adjusting the clutch linkage. Do you have any slack at the top of the pedal? If so, perhaps the clutch isn't being completely released.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
You could also try adjusting the clutch linkage. Do you have any slack at the top of the pedal? If so, perhaps the clutch isn't being completely released.

All of the Del Sols were hydraulic as far as I know. About all he can do is adjust height of the pedal and elminate any dead play.

Yes, it is hydraulic. I have bleed the system early on, and my friend has the same car and model except 94 instead of 93, so there is definately difference in terms of when the clutch system fully engages and just general noise/vibration. There is no major slack at the top that I can tell.

I noticed that the shift knob vibrates all the time, however I think that's normal for these cars.

Sounds identical to my GF's 94 integra, which I believe has almost an identical system. I thought it was bad, compared to my BMW and saab, I just cant drive it right without having some near-stalls or unpleasantness going into 1st gear. I really dont like the engagement point near the top, but apparently thats normal.

JMH

Well it could be partially me, again there was some difference between my car and my friend's del sol, but not night/day.

For sure, german cars like some older BMWs and Audis I've drive is a lot different. The pedal is a lot stiffer on BMWs and even the older toyotas seem to be stiffer.

But does pressure plate have a lot to do on how the clutch grab, or the range from when it starts grabbing and when its fully engaged?

The rpms start to drop from idle at about 25% from the floor, but the full engagement point is not till 85-90% from the floor.

Also in first gear when engaging the clutch it makes clicking sounds (similiar to bad cv joints). Not sure if it is an input or throwout bearing since the sound is not present when the clutch is fully released or enganged, only at low speeds usually when in the process of taking off on 1st or when in traffic between 1st/2nd gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back