Clutch went bad after sitting a couple weeks

Just curious if anyone knows exactly what part of the clutch/fork/TOB whatever actually went bad in this scenario.

Good grabby clutch that operated seemingly normal (150k truck miles, though), grabbed in the middle of the pedal travel.

After sitting, gears barely engage, clutch only grabs at the very, very top of the pedal travel. Not a hydraulic issue. Symptoms are the exact same with the original and new clutch master/slave. I was not the last person to drive it, my dad used it to get firewood. He knows how to drive, but is famous for going over payload. Don't see how that would effect a clutch rated to tow 6k, though.

It's obvious I'll have to divorce the transmission and replace everything, but I wonder if anyone knows what I'll find?? :unsure:

What do you mean gears barely engage? Grinding? Hard to shift? Clutch engaging at the top of the pedal stroke implies hydraulics are working, but clutch could be wearing down. A worn down clutch requires less pedal movement to disengage. But gears shouldn’t be hard to shift if the worn out clutch is disengaged.

There was another guy on here that opened it up and found the fork had cracked and could no longer release the clutch despite the hydraulics working. Could be as simple as that.

Last edited:
My clutch finally failed on my Accent at +175k miles because the grease dried out that the input shaft the throwout bearing rode on and jammed. Worked good at home cold after paying $300 for towing.....

Who knows. Impossible to diagnose over the internet. Maybe its bathed in fluid from a leak. Take it a apart, post again.

Back