Prepping generator for Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gilitar
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
most air cooled small engine require 30 weight oil.

Correct. However, simply not enough protection IMO in August heat running full tilt hours on end. In fact many generators fail after hurricanes because of this.
You have any links to these cases?

I have a friend that is a service tech for Generac generators and he uses nothing but M1 5-30 in those he services. I use the same in mine. If your generator calls for a 30wt oil then that's what I would use. After all 90F isn't all that hot for these types of engines.

My 5600W Craftsman(10 hp Gentec OHV) uses about 4-5 gallons a day. Have about 25 gal. on hand before draining vehicles.

Last edited:
I did break-in with Rotella 15w-40, then switched to T-6 5w-40 and it runs fine. Book I believe calls for 10w-30.

If I had my way I'd like to have 2 generators. Larger for the larger loads to use occasionally, then a small inverter type that does well on fuel for the light loads between using the larger unit. Small for lights, fridge, TV (if available), stereo...

^I have a 2 generator household and the 2nd is one many are familiar with. You can buy it with a C-note and still have money for burger king. I don't feel bad leaving it out in the rain etc if need be and it powers lights, fridge, and cable modem.
wink.gif

Just changed my oil, getting ready, I used Super Tech 15w40 universal. Coleman powermate 5kw 10hp Briggs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Troy
Just changed my oil, getting ready, I used Super Tech 15w40 universal. Coleman powermate 5kw 10hp Briggs.

Should be just fine. I'm sure I gave it way too much thought and have way overkill with the Castrol synthetic MC oil.

Should be just fine. I'm sure I gave it way too much thought and have way overkill with the Castrol synthetic MC oil.

Nah, if I had some boutique oil laying around I would have used it. [censored], i put Silkolene in my Craftsman lawn tractor. Nice call on the Castrol, I like their motorcycle oils.

Nah, if I had some boutique oil laying around I would have used it. [censored], i put Silkolene in my Craftsman lawn tractor. Nice call on the Castrol, I like their motorcycle oils.

Yeah, I found it on clearance at Walmart for about $2.50 a couple of years ago. I certainly wouldn't have paid full price for it just to dump in my cheepo chonda.

Hang in there man... It looks as if you guys are going to have a rough night. Let us know how things turn out.

Yeah, I found it on clearance at Walmart for about $2.50 a couple of years ago. I certainly wouldn't have paid full price for it just to dump in my cheepo chonda.

Hang in there man... It looks as if you guys are going to have a rough night. Let us know how things turn out.

It was a wild ride, lost power for five days, that little Coleman was thumping for four days straight. Only turned it off for fuel, and changed the oil on the second day, I put some Penzoil platinum 5W30. Was about to change it Sunday morning and the power was restored. Total of 95 to 100 hours on the generator for this storm. For Katrina it ran for five weeks 12 hours a day. This storm we let it run continiously. 10hp Briggs gentek is a tough little motor.

Troy, I'm with you on that Briggs Gentek. My 5500 Excell got a real workout during Hurricane Ivan in 2004 at my house for several days. I then loaned it to friends in Pensacola who ran it for two weeks straight. When Isaac was approaching, I pulled it out of the shop, turned on the gas and it fired up on the first pull. Sure am glad I didn't have to use it during Isaac. Hope all you folks in Louisiana are safe. BTW, I've got Platinum 10w-30 in mine.

Correct. However, simply not enough protection IMO in August heat running full tilt hours on end. In fact many generators fail after hurricanes because of this.

I assume the 30 is 30 HDEO and if so should be fine for this application.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Donald, the temperatures here on the gulf coast are MUCH hotter than in upstate NY. A straight 30 weight will work in most applications, but when running for hours on end in hot conditions under a heavy load it is simply not the best bet. Just ask Cujet...

Donald, the temperatures here on the gulf coast are MUCH hotter than in upstate NY. A straight 30 weight will work in most applications, but when running for hours on end in hot conditions under a heavy load it is simply not the best bet. Just ask Cujet...

Since it gets hotter here in Illinois in the summer than the Gulf coast is why I use M1 10-30, which will hold up to high temps without a problem.

You guys are missing the boat. Propane is the way to go.

You gotts to be kidding me.

Propane requires huge tanks to run a generator for a long time.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
You guys are missing the boat. Propane is the way to go.

You gotts to be kidding me.

Propane requires huge tanks to run a generator for a long time.

And gasoline doesn't? I burn almost the exact same in propane per hour as I do running on gasoline. It just runs a LOT smoother on propane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back