Prepping generator for Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be prepping my generator for the storm this evening by changing the oil and picking up a couple of extra spark plugs. I am debating on which oil I will be using. I currently have some Castrol RS Racing 4T 10w40, Mobil Delvac 15w40, and Shell 30 weight. Which one would be better suited for my Chonda in 90 degree weather?

I'm very impressed by alot of the oil analysis comments from the members on here and wish i could understand alot of the shear and breakdown of oil in terms and more expressed on here,,But my 2 cents on your question would be the 15w40 or the 30wt

the Castrol would be able to handle anything you throw at it loadwise and would provide some overkill. The SAE 30 would work, but provide less peace of mind for me. The 15W-40 is a great everyday choice for long engine life in warm weather especially.
That's how I see those 3 choices.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
most air cooled small engine require 30 weight oil.

Most OHV hondas and chondas take 10w30.

For the OP, they are all good choices though.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Most OHV hondas and chondas take 10w30.
As does my OHC Subaru/Robin.

(Insert deity of your choice) protect you during the storm...

Correct. However, simply not enough protection IMO in August heat running full tilt hours on end. In fact many generators fail after hurricanes because of this.

Will you be running this before the rain stops? It's not a sarcastic question, I just wonder what the typical storm and post storm conditions work out to be.

I have lived through Camille,George, Katrina and other less known hurricanes. Most generator mfgs. recommend synthetic oils. With our high temps along the Gulf of Mexico I use higher viscosity oil. Presently in my five generators using Rotella 5w40. Many generators fail because of oil related problems. People do not break them in properly. And don't change oil frequently during non-stop use.Low oil sensors get dirty and fail. Have had to bypass sensors twice till new parts available. I am also preparing for the storms arrival. Praying that it just dissipates. Good luck to you and your family.

Originally Posted By: Gilitar

Correct. However, simply not enough protection IMO in August heat running full tilt hours on end. In fact many generators fail after hurricanes because of this.

+1

Forget about the 30 if ambient gets around 90 F.

Cujet, in Florida post about Mobil 15W-50 being a great oil for the hot Florida days, and how his neighbor have their outdoor power equipment (generators and pumps) fail (damage the engine) in the hot Florida heat while his continue to run with Mobil 15W-50.

If I were you I would be looking for some Mobil 15W-50 at an advance auto shop, and if they were out of that I would get some Mobil V twin 20W-50 from the motorcycle oil shelves at Pep-Boys.

The 40 weights you posted would be my second choice.

Forget about the 30 weight for now and save that for when ambient will not go above 60 F.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
BTW, How much gas do you plan to have stored before the power to the gas stations goes out?

That was what I was thinking....a few extra quarts of oil on hand is a good idea, but the amount of gas you have ready to go would be a bigger concern.

BTW, How much gas do you plan to have stored before the power to the gas stations goes out?

The weather channel models show Isaac slowing down to a very slow crawl (just about stalled) just as it hits shore in the North Gulf, so that it will be dumping heavy rains from the shore and inland for something like a practically unprecedented three or more days in the same area once it makes shore fall.

It looks like anyone with a generator better have it on some kind of an elevated setup with some kind of a very high wind protection from the rain.

The weather channel shows different models about exactly where, but it ain't looking good for the entire north gulf region.

On a lighter note, The Weather Channel is now showing that the biggest threat from Isaac is a very large orange whale about to bite the east coast of Florida:
map_specnews10_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

OPE of Eljefino in Maine & RF Overloard in Cape Cod, MA, will not see the same heat as OPE in Mobile AL.

The higher ambient requires a good oil with a thicker upper (last) number.

You are correct,when the power goes out you cannot purchase gas. Having gone through several hurricanes I will tell you what I do. At the start of hurricane season I fill up my gas cans. 12 5 gal., 5 2 1/2 gal, 4 1 gal (two stroke fuel) with Stabil added.
Fuel up my boat fuel tank,4 wheelers, gator, and vehicles. I can siphon fuel from boat if needed. Biggest thing is I do not run generators 24 hrs day like so many people do, till they run out of fuel. During the day light hours I run it every 4 hrs for 1 hr. This keeps refrigerator, freezer cool. And at that time do anything in house requiring power. Such as wash clothes, watch t.v., operate fans, etc. Cannot run continously because you do not know when you will get power back. And when gas stations get power and fuel there are long lines and limits to how much you can purchase. Also In preperation I go to the bank and withdrawl large amount of cash. Because your credit/debit cards, checks are useless. Because merchants don't have internet access. Cell phones don't work, towers down. You have to prepare before the storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back