Prepping before using Griots 3 in 1 ceramic wax

We have a new car just a few months old. The first thing I did was clay and wax with a good synthetic wax. The few times it has been washed I followed up with TW Seal & Shine. The paint is in excellent condition. It is garaged and has no water spots or paint swirls. I wasn't aware of Griots 3 in 1 ceramic when I did this. Also, our local Walmart doesn't carry the Seal & Shine anymore. Thought I would give the Griot's 3 in 1 a try since I have some speed perks I can use from Advance Auto. My question: Can I use 3 in 1 ceramic wax over the existing products or would I have to clay again or do something first before using the 3 in 1 ceramic wax? Does using clay remove old wax if that step is needed? I'm like several others here on BITOG that's getting up in years and it's getting harder for me to wash and wax as much as I would like to (the first clay and wax took me two days). I've read all the threads I could find on BITOG about Griots 3 in 1 and it's a mixed bag to me concerning surface prep from other members.

The general rule is in order to get the best bond and life out of a product, you need to polish the paint. At the very least, do a chemical decontamination and clay it. Some products adhere to other existing products better than others. You generally can't layer a wax or product with wax in it from what I understand.

I've used 3 in 1 in the past without polishing and the beading was subpar. It will work but not be as good as it can be.

When you polish are you talking about a polishing type wax? Not sure I understand what chemical decontamination is. I thought, maybe incorrectly, that claying decontaminated the paint. If not, what is there that will chemically decontaminate the paint? Alcohol? I am not a detail expert as you can probably tell. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Buster.

When you polish are you talking about a polishing type wax? Not sure I understand what chemical decontamination is. I thought, maybe incorrectly, that claying decontaminated the paint. If not, what is there that will chemically decontaminate the paint? Alcohol? I am not a detail expert as you can probably tell. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Buster.
As Roofless VW said you can just wash and apply it. I didn't realize it was a new car. It should likely not have any protection on it. Just do a good wash, preferably a strip type wash and clay. You should be good.

Prep work is the most important part. Claying and Decon give wonderful results as a first step as well as finalizing it all off with spray/sealant. Lots of polishing, glaze,wax,etc to go around in the middle.

As Roofless VW said you can just wash and apply it. I didn't realize it was a new car. It should likely not have any protection on it. Just do a good wash, preferably a strip type wash and clay. You should be good.
What is a strip type wash? There are so many products that my head actually starts spinning just trying research them.
Prep work is the most important part. Claying and Decon give wonderful results as a first step as well as finalizing it all off with spray/sealant. Lots of polishing, glaze,wax,etc to go around in the middle.
Claying I understand. No clue how to decontaminate. Would the Griot's be the spray/sealant?

What is a strip type wash? There are so many products that my head actually starts spinning just trying research them.

Claying I understand. No clue how to decontaminate. Would the Griot's be the spray/sealant?
Something like a Carpro Reset, or Lift or even cheap Turtle Wax Max Power you can grab at Walmart. (higher pH/alkaline).

Something like a Carpro Reset, or Lift or even cheap Turtle Wax Max Power you can grab at Walmart. (higher pH/alkaline).
I actually saw the TW Max Power at Walmart. Are you saying that washing my car with this car wash would be sufficient enough for decontamination? If so, should I still clay the car before using Griots 3 & 1? I feel like I need to go back to college and major in car detailing.

I actually saw the TW Max Power at Walmart. Are you saying that washing my car with this car wash would be sufficient enough for decontamination? If so, should I still clay the car before using Griots 3 & 1? I feel like I need to go back to college and major in car detailing.
It's pretty simple. Here is what I would do (I'm not a pro-detailer by any means just learned a few things the last year or so).

1. Wash car using a soap that doesn't leave anything behind (polymers/waxes etc.). Examples - Turtle Wax Max Power or Carpro Reset (Amazon). I suggested a stronger soap just to remove any possible factory wax which I'm not even sure goes on to the paint after car is built but the dealerships likely could have added something before you took delivery of it.
2. If you can grab an iron remover that would also be beneficial but not required (Meguiars at Autozone).
3. Clay car.
4. Apply 3 in 1.

I am in the same boat as you. Recent just got a new vehicle and applied TW SNS. Walmart is out of it, now trying Griot's 3 in 1.

I am planning to just clay and apply the Griot's 3 in 1.

Question is will the ONR wash cause bonding issues with the Griot's 3 in 1?

I am in the same boat as you. Recent just got a new vehicle and applied TW SNS. Walmart is out of it, now trying Griot's 3 in 1.

No. Anything ONR leaves behind will be removed during application of the Griots.

You'd have to order it, but this stuff is great for stripping prior waxes and sealants. One of the only products that can do it chemically. Citrol 266 by Schaeffer's is the other one. Most panel preps and many other products that claim will remove waxes actually don't. Dawn doesn't either.

Would be interested in your results.
You'd have to order it, but this stuff is great for stripping prior waxes and sealants. One of the only products that can do it chemically. Citrol 266 by Schaeffer's is the other one. Most panel preps and many other products that claim will remove waxes actually don't. Dawn doesn't either.

Just a quick question: I have some Meguiars cleaner wax on hand. If I used that would that be same as claying? I would like to get this done beforehand Tuesday after which I will be extremely busy through Father's Day.

I finally accomplished what I wanted to do. I first washed the car. I then clayed it using Griots Brilliant Synthetic clay. I'd never heard of it before and it ended up being my only option since neither of our local parts store had any traditional clay bars in stock. Next I polished the car with Griots Complete Polish. After all the prep I finally applied the Griots Ceramic 3 & 1 wax. It was extremely easy to use. Took only forty minutes to do the whole car. I actually think it's easier and quicker than TW Seal & Shine. The results were better than I had hoped for. Now all that's left is to apply the second coat tomorrow and it will be done.

The Griot's 3 in 1 Ceramic spray is legit. Back in March, I put on two coats, applied a week apart.

More often than not, I apply Griots Ceramic Speed Shine after my weekly wash just to keep things extra slick and I'm completely satisfied with this pairing.

The Griot's 3 in 1 Ceramic spray is legit. Back in March, I put on two coats, applied a week apart.

More often than not, I apply Griots Ceramic Speed Shine after my weekly wash just to keep things extra slick and I'm completely satisfied with this pairing.
I bought some Speed Shine when I got the 3 in 1. I bought it for the claying part but I'll give it a try after my next wash.

On a car that is just a few months old I would wash it and apply the Griot's.
Depending on how long it sat on the lot, I would agree. His sig says 2021 Edge. If it's only been a few months since they purchased it, I would surmise it sat on the lot for an extended period of time. They would've quit producing MY21 when? Middle of 2021? If that's true, that car sat on the lot for months. The Edge isn't that popular to begin with.

By comparison, the Santa Cruz I just bought was manufactured 05/09/22. I purchased 06/07/22. Hadn't been on the lot more than week after delivery. No time for the paint to become contaminated. I washed it and use Griot's 11146 Speed Shine Quick Detailer in between washes. I wouldn't consider polishing, clay bar etc. for at least a year. Very little ROI, IMO.

Last edited:
Back