premium guard pg 241 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a series of pictures of a pg241 that was on a 2002 suzuki aerio at least 2 years ,but i am not sure how many miles. Probably very little. The filter is the same as most 1.6 and 1.8 toyota's. It is made in Thailand or china from what i have found
I have owned the car for almost 2 years ,but just got it back on the road. It only has 76000 miles ,but its history is unknown. It needed some body and paint work that is finally done.
The motor has a intermittent valve or heat shield clatter on cold starts. I wanted to see if changing the oil to 0w20 toyota full synthetic mixed with a half quart of mobil 1 15w50 would quiet it. I also switched filters to a toyota 90915-yzza1 that I have a stash of. The old oil was a who knows what mix that I added almost 2/3 quart of mmo. Don't ask unless you want the whole story on that too.
Back to the filter . The can is very robust. I could barely cut it open with my grinder. I also see some serious flaws in the media construction. The paper is brittle and crunchy , maybe from sitting in oil, maybe not. The filter has also twisted the media clockwise . I have seen this in other posts on this filter. Some were more serious that this. Here are the pictures. If you can tell from my [censored] photography , check out the design.
imag0077j.jpg

By double1trouble1 at 2011-05-15
imag0075u.jpg

imag0078pn.jpg

imag0076f.jpg

Anyone else use these? What do you think ?

definitely in the wrong category (as of now in PCMO)... but not a bad filter. JC Whitney sells em.

when i worked at kwik kar (pennzoil shop) we use alot of of these filters. mostly because they are less than $2 wholesale. always wondered if they were any good...

there is nothing seemingly wrong with this filter from what we can see in these pics (they aren't very detailed or focused on what matters).

it is common to see the media "wavy" after it has been soaked with oil.

The media is very brittle almost like a cracker. It is crunchy . There were no holes in it. I just wondered if that is abnormal. I did like the metal end caps and thick can.
i put this in the oil forum to see what people thought about my toyota 0w20 and m1 15-50 mix . I used 4 quarts 0w20 and 1/2 quart 15w50 in my suzuki aerio. That m-1 seemed pretty thin for a 15-50.
The car specs either 5-30 or 10-30 . I bet in 02 they didn't have any 0w oils.let alone what we have now.
I have read that suzuki likes a thicker oil . Most 4 bangers like thin oil . I'm a bit confused , but I'd bet my 0w20 mix will be fine especially after my new thermostat and coolant.
what y'all think?

I just took a Premium Guard 4651 off my 2003 Tribute after it had been serviced at a local chain garage. Filter felt very solid and heavy, but probably b/c it had oil in it.....

Interesting.... Based on the oil splatter analysis, I conclude that Jeffrey did it, most likely with a lead pipe.

lol... thanks for the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back