Premium AGM batteries for track/race use (Braille, Odyssey, Northstar X2, etc.)

Does anyone have experience with the more premium AGM batteries in vehicles that see extreme use such as a race track? The battery would be subject to intense vibration and heat. It would rarely get charged by the alternator -- but would be on a Battery Tender between races and events.

My Corvette time trial/track car seems very sensitive to voltage so I am considering one of the higher-end Braille Endurance, Odyssey Performance, or Northstar/X2. Many of these claim to do things like use virgin lead, have sturdier construction, be more resilient, etc. Not sure I'm ready for a high-end lithium battery like Antigravity, but if those are even more sturdy against extreme use then I guess I will consider ponying up.

Car uses a group 48 size, FWIW.

Northstar and Odyssey are heavier than average batteries, if weight matters to you. And the intense heat won't be good for them. But they will withstand your deep cycle use, especially if you charge at 20A or higher.

Last edited:
We use Hawker/Odyssey batteries regularly. They are as good as a lead-acid battery can be. But remember, the voltage drop is a linear (shaped) line, like any other lead-acid, as the battery depletes and about 1.75-1.8V per cell is about as deep as they can be discharged 10.5-10.8V.

TPPL Agms, when new and healthy and fully charged, will hold slightly higher voltages for longer under the same load and all other factors being equal, until the ~35% charged range/65% discharged.

When healthy TPPL AGMS are depleted this low, they can and will accept HUGE charging currents, I've fed my group 27 and group 31 Northstar AGMS in Excess of 135 amps, when they were new and healthy. They can be returned to 80% state of charge/20% depth of discharge, faster than any other lead acid battery, when newish and healthy.

ALL lead acid batteries take many hours to get from 80% to 100%. When new and healthy TPPL AGms are about 3 to 3.5 hours held at 14.4ish, and lesser AGMS and flooded add about 0.5 hours to it

The same size budget AGM, Flooded battery will take much less amperage to be brought to and held at 14.5 volts. When the charger amperage ilimited to 20 amps there will be almost no difference, but when it can suply 65 amps the TPPL AGm will be like a pig in feces, the regular AGM not so much and the flooded even less so.

So alternator free vehicular use, one must need to know how much amperage the battery needs to supply, and for how long it needs to supply it, in order to size the battery correctly. No need for a 78lb group 31 if one can get away with a ~54lb group 24, or even less.

When not in use, between runs, the well discharged AGM should be high amp recharged from their most depleted state. TPPL AGMS despise the low and slow from a well depleted state, especially if low and slow does not have enough time to get them 85%+, and ideally 100%, before the next discharge.

All lead acid batteries when new and healthy can output huge amps and accept huge amps when well depleted and attached to a high amperage charging source seeking and HOLDING, 14.4v for as long as is required for amps to taper to very low levels

The TPPL AGMS release their juice faster, maintaining higher voltage, and can recharge from below 80% charged to 80% charged significantly faster than other lead acid batteries. This is where they shine.

but there is little advantage in the 80% to 100% charged range, time wise, and if the TPPL AGM does not get the true 100% regularly, they will quickly lose their new healthy initial advantage.

On order to keep them performing well in deep cycle duty, they should be fed no less than 40 amps per 100Ah of capacity, and should be held at charging voltages until amps taper to very very low levels, unless they get too hot, then stop wait till they cool and then again hold at absorption voltage.

The TPPL Agms like Northstar/X2power and Odyssey can be the top performing lead acid battery one can get, but they are not immune to abuse and their performance advantages can degrade to make them no more impressive than the cheaper battery replaced more often.

Since Northstar no longer makes batteries for automotive applications, I assume Batteries plus is rebranding Odyssey as their X2 power lineup?

Does anybody know the new arrangement regarding X2power/batteries plus?

Anyway, if one is going to run a TPPL AGM, say in between 1/4 mile runs, or similar use, they would be wise to get a charge capable of 60+ amps.

These RV converters are automatic three stage chargers/power supplies, but user override selectable stages/voltages.

Cut a pair of quality 4awg jumper cables in half, and one can have 55-60 amps available for fast recharges.

It will blow away any 'garage charger', and if the 55 to 60 amp potential is not needed/wanted. force it into a lower pressure (voltage) stage by holding the button for a few seconds.

The PD9260 has 60 amps available to seek and hold 14.4, 13.6, or 13.2v. 13.2v is too low for long term float of tppl AGMS at 77f, but if no parasitic load is on battery, force 14.4v for 4 hours, 13.6 for 12 hours and a month later they will still be 99.5%+ charged and happy and live a long life.

I put a PD9245 ( 40 amps max) in a power pack in 2015, chargibg a lifeline GPL-31XT( 125 amp hour) group 31 AGM battery.

The owner uses it to power an ARB fridge and lot of other things. To my surprise he claims battery is 'still strong like bull'
My instructions are to just plug it in for 12 to 16 hours when he gets home and for an hour once a month if not in use.

Last edited:
Another score for the Odyssey.

Run them in my truck and 30 ft offshore boat.

Truck batt is 14 years old.

The boat went a decade with constant flattening altering between them each time out.

Reactions: 4WD
While I am only cranking over a 1.6 liter turbo, some of my findings I have encountered may help.

I needed to get rid of the HIGH placement of my 40 lbs OEM AGM battery to help my compromised roll center of my 2 inch lowered AWD tuner car with heavily modified suspension. This is a year round daily on a budget in Minnesota, so it is a "function" over "form" car. All I care about is my end product, it doesn't have to impress anyone. I was running a small off brand 12 lbs AGM and now 11lbs AGM Braille battery in the OEM spot as when it gets down to anything below -0 degs in winter I toss in my heavy OEM AGM battery for our -10 to -25 mid winter temps. This reduction in high mass made a drastic difference in handling, I could not believe it made such a difference with reducing 30 lbs high weight mass.

My under hood turbo temps baked two of the cheap AGMs within 2 months.The second warranty battery I wrapped with the foiled bubble wrap, but it only helped just a bit, as my battery still took on the high heat. I then went with a Braille and wrapped it up in a Roxsul insulated blanket and left it open at the top to let heat get pulled out of the battery at night time. While a couple people said this was over the top on a car forum I post on, I know the simple gold reflective tape they said was all I needed would do nothing to kill the ultra high turbo temps killing the battery's. Well, it worked, I made it through a whole summer. I just did a "Big 3"oxygen free battery cable upgrade with a dual cable to chassis to neg terminal and triple cable to engine/one to trans to get the most I can out of my charging system. Which by the way, is an OEM AGM based algorithm.

I found that all my AGM battery take longer to charge by the alternator or with my AGM 10 amp charger. And my car too wants the highest voltage to stop starting misfires and WOT misfires with my .022 plug gap. I am moving to Lithium this summer as the battery voltage is .5 ish higher over all and they charge 3X faster then the AGM. I think I will be going with a Braille Green Lithium G30C (6.5lbs) or G30HC to get more AH for my audio amp (9.5 lbs) or an Anti-Gravity UR-1 (7.5lbs) The lithiums should work better for me as I am a short tripper and do multi starts in short time frames.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0498.jpeg
    IMG_0498.jpeg
    908.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with the more premium AGM batteries in vehicles that see extreme use such as a race track? The battery would be subject to intense vibration and heat. It would rarely get charged by the alternator -- but would be on a Battery Tender between races and events.

My Corvette time trial/track car seems very sensitive to voltage so I am considering one of the higher-end Braille Endurance, Odyssey Performance, or Northstar/X2. Many of these claim to do things like use virgin lead, have sturdier construction, be more resilient, etc. Not sure I'm ready for a high-end lithium battery like Antigravity, but if those are even more sturdy against extreme use then I guess I will consider ponying up.

Car uses a group 48 size, FWIW.
I ran LifeLine Racing 16v/12v batteries in my TopSportsman etc drag race cars. Worked great, no issures. Switched to 16v lithiums eventually.
DSCN0916.JPG

What do you mean it would rarely get charged by the alternator? If the battery is low, the alternator charges it automatically. And what's the goal? Weight savings? Durability?

What do you mean it would rarely get charged by the alternator? If the battery is low, the alternator charges it automatically. And what's the goal? Weight savings? Durability?

The car doesn't get driven on the street. The only time it is running is driving up to the grid, on track, and when sitting in line at impound after a session on track. That's not a lot of run time, and when it is running, it's under a high-stress use case.

Goal is durability/reliability.

Since Northstar no longer makes batteries for automotive applications, I assume Batteries plus is rebranding Odyssey as their X2 power lineup?

Does anybody know the new arrangement regarding X2power/batteries plus?

The specs for the Odyssey Performance AGM48 H6 L3 and X2 Power SLI48AGMDP are not the same in several areas, so I don't think it's the same battery just rebranded.

A few of the differences are:
-Odyssey is 720 CCA to X2's 775
-Odyssey is 950 HCA to X2's 915
-Odyssey is 69aH to X2's 67
-Odyssey is $325 to X2's $350

It does seem strange that Enersys would make two super-premium batteries in the same size but with very slightly different specs.

The car doesn't get driven on the street. The only time it is running is driving up to the grid, on track, and when sitting in line at impound after a session on track. That's not a lot of run time, and when it is running, it's under a high-stress use case.

Goal is durability/reliability.
Unless this is driven in the Baja 1000 in 110°F temperatures, what durability issues are there. Vibration? G-force? Extreme heat? I would think any $60 Walmart battery would be fine and just get a replacement under warranty if it dies. Or spend $160 for their AGM model if those are significant issues. Are you still on the original factory battery?

Unless this is driven in the Baja 1000 in 110°F temperatures, what durability issues are there. Vibration? G-force? Extreme heat? I would think any $60 Walmart battery would be fine and just get a replacement under warranty if it dies. Or spend $160 for their AGM model if those are significant issues. Are you still on the original factory battery?

Heavy vibration for sure. Car is running a very stiff suspension with huge aero forces as well, and is regularly clipping apex curbs at the track. Also, heavy G-force as the car turns and brakes -- 1.5g+ laterally and whatever the longitudinal forces are. Battery is a two-year old O'Reilly SureStart Platinum AGM.

Last edited:
The specs for the Odyssey Performance AGM48 H6 L3 and X2 Power SLI48AGMDP are not the same in several areas, so I don't think it's the same battery just rebranded.

It does seem strange that Enersys would make two super-premium batteries in the same size but with very slightly different specs.
Odyssey batteries are available in 3 flavors:

...The expanded portfolio includes ODYSSEY® Performance batteries, a cost-effective choice designed to handle the increased use of on-board accessories in today’s vehicles; ODYSSEY® Extreme batteries, a true dual-purpose solution that offers enormous cranking and deep cycle reserve power; and ODYSSEY® PRO batteries, engineered with an advanced carbon additive for more reserve capacity and longer cycle life....

Right, they don't make an extreme or pro model in my size. I'm referring to the performance one.

On order to keep them performing well in deep cycle duty, they should be fed no less than 40 amps per 100Ah of capacity, and should be held at charging voltages until amps taper to very very low levels, unless they get too hot, then stop wait till they cool and then again hold at absorption voltage.

I just spent a solid 30 minutes reading and looking into chargers. I had never realized there were higher amperage ones -- I assumed most were the same save for some specialty cases. My car has an O'Reilly Platinum SureStart AGM and I've been using a Battery Tender Plus rated for only 1.25A (though it does say it's okay for lead acid, AGM, and gel).

I wonder if this cheaper/weaker charger has worn the battery out more quickly? I'll be taking it to O'Reilly tomorrow morning to get it tested. Still not convinced there isn't an internal short or something broken.

Deeply cycled agms are tickled to death with a diet of only slow chargers.

All smart charger marketers and wild claims will have you believe they are magic.

Most are very timid, stopping well short of true full charge, as it is safer and way easier than achieving true full, safely, asap.

The deeper the discharge, the less likely the garage smart charger will be able achieve 100%, and the deeper the cycle the more.important achieving 100% becomes, to maintain capacity and performance.
No lead.acid battery is immune to chronic undercharging, whether, flooded, sealed agm, or gel.

Yep, that's what I was reading. I've already ordered a replacement: Tecmate Optimate 7 Select. It is on the Odyssey approval list and looks well designed.

When consumer reports last tested batteries in the Group 48 H6 size, the Odyssey was the #1 rated for performance and life in their testing.

Highs
  • Excellent for Life test
  • Very Good for Reserve capacity
  • Excellent for CCA
Lows
This model had no discernible flaws in its performance.
CR's Take

This Odyssey group 48 Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) car battery was Excellent in overall performance and has a 36 month warranty.

Yep, that's what I was reading. I've already ordered a replacement: Tecmate Optimate 7 Select. It is on the Odyssey approval list and looks well designed.
Ironically, most (if not all) of the chargers on that list can not supply the current that Odyssey recommends for optimal charging: at least 40% of the battery C10 rating e.g. at least 40A for a 100Ah battery. The minimum allowable charging current is 10% of the C10 rating.

Back