Premature wear Goodyear Weather-Ready

I purchased four good year Assurance Weather Ready tires for my 2000 Lexus LS 400 with about 220000 miles on the car. I only rotated them once at 232000 miles. I drive a lot mostly highway and went to rotate them a second time at 241000 miles. The rear tread was between 1/32-2/32 on left rear and right at 1/32 on right rear tire. The fronts were in better condition about 4/32nd. Both tires had before-Michelin Defender got about 45000 could have lasted longer but got a flat and drove some on it that wrecked the tire and decided to try the Michelin’s. The tire that came on the car Dimax As-8 lasted above 50000 miles and never rotated them at all-here is a link to my write up here about those tires- https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/radar-dimax-as-8-diamond-in-rough.311414/

I purchased the Dimax As-8 tires again from Wally World and they were about 64.00 a piece free shipping to wal mart on york pa and they installed them for very good price-forget exact amount but was cheaper than anywhere else have gotten tires installed. Again these Dimax tires are excellent-better ride quality than Goodyear and maybe Michelin by a bit. They handle as well as Michelin maybe slightly behind Goodyear in terms of cornering-fuel Mileage is up from the Goodyear getting 21-22-Goodyear rarely broke 20 and Michelin was likely in between remember usually getting between 20-21 on them. Would say Dimax as-8 are smoother maybe less rolling resistance than Michelin and Goodyear-bit would say they glide more when stopping and if tested would say probably have longer breaking distance than both Goodyear and Michelin-For all tires I have always downshifted with the automatic transmission to third gear when stopping going down a hill-and find myself thinking of that more with these tires and they are still relatively new-bought them March 15, 2021-I would say Goodyear had best breaking of all three tires...

specification wise-my car comes with 225/60/16 tires and the Dimax-AS-8 tires are higher speed rated V and have extra load rating as well think it is 104 compared to 98.

With Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready-three main disappointments-
1. excessively poor wear-I know could have been more vigilant with rotations but rotated Michelin same miles and never rotated the Dimax as-8 and they lasted longer and on par with Michelin...
2. Rise quality was behind Michelin and Radar Dimax tire. It never felt like a premium tire... kept picturing guy with T-shirt scruffy face and blue jeans with cigarette in his mouth when picturing a description of the ride quality-not terrible but rough around the edges-got a pillow for my driver’s seat during ownership of these tires.
3. Got them for their reported snow capabilities-seemed to do ok during December snow fall but later winter snowfall were poor-in fairness probably correlated with premature wear on rear tires and 2000 Lexus LS400 is rear wheel drive car with open rear differential and does have a vehicle stability control system which came on a few times the last snow fall of the year.

RWD will wear the rear tires faster. The 3-peak all-season tires don't seem to last long. In particular, the Nokian WRG3 has a very short treadlife in real-world usage.

If you only got 45k out of Defenders (which are rated for 90k), nothing will last long on your car and driving conditions :unsure:

Usually, lots of highway miles would mean longer treadlife. Especially since you've driven over 100k in less than 2 years :D

I won't buy G/Y tires any longer.
I started buying them in the early 1970s and stopped in the early-mid 2000s.

Not that I didn't buy other brands of tires in between the G/Y purchases but, I always said that this time would be the last set of G/Y tires I ever buy. And then, guess what? I'd get sucked in and do it again. :unsure:

And to boot, I was buying their good stuff, not their economy line of tires or their cheap tires or the wrong type for my vehicles. I'd buy another set only to be disappointed AGAIN for one reason or another. Poor wear, radial pull, broken belts, couldn't keep'em balanced etc.:mad:

People would say..."Oh, maybe you need an alignment or suspension part(s)". I'd have the suspension & alignment checked out only to be OK FINE...But then I'd put on another brand/model of tire without even touching my suspension and WAHH-LAH, problem solved!

NOW, I'm saying it for certain. I will not buy G/Y tires ever again. They over promised and under deliver.

Last edited:
I won't buy G/Y tires any longer.
I started buying them in the early 1970s and stopped in the early-mid 2000s.

I normally don't log into this site to bash products and when I normally see a product bash I usually move on. But I'm going to describe my Goodyear experience also.
My Jeep Cherokee needed four new tires. Goodyear Wranglers go good with Jeeps, don't they? I shopped at WM and managed to have three of them put on because they only had three in stock. The fourth was put on a week later. I got no road hazard warranty because I didn't do offroading with this Jeep. These tires weren't super aggressive or loud, but the best way to describe it was that each knob looked like the state of Texas. Tires were rotated regularly and there was no wearing on the tires from alignment problems or defective suspension parts. Anyway, one tire and one tire only started to get severe cracks around each knob very early. The three other tires were okay. I went to the WM tire supervisor to show him the tire and he asked me if I had purchased the road hazard policy. After I told him that I had not, he said that there was nothing he could do for me. I told him that this wasn't a road hazard problem, it was a manufacturing problem. He again told me to pound sand. There was a WM-issued pamphlet they had in the area that showed a similar problem and the pamphlet said it was a tire problem, probably from age. Showing it to the manager still got me nothing. I then asked him if he would ride in a vehicle that had this tire underneath. He said that my tire was unsafe and he wouldn't ride in any vehicle that had this tire and would recommend it to be taken off the road. Of course, that meant taking it off the road on my dime.
I'm another guy who will never buy a Goodyear tire.

I guess I am just lucky. Ran Dunlop tires for years with great treadwear and grip. On last vehicle I got life cycle of 7 years and 50k which tires looked new. Had a flat on one of them but it had 6 years so no warranty so I bought a Walmart special to give me time to save up for new set. Sold the vehicle before new tires. I ran Dunlop for over 30 years and never knew Goodyear had purchased them until then. I went for Dunlop on my Grand Caravan but no longer available so since I had good luck with last set and they were manufactured by Goodyear I purchased Goodyear Maxlife. So far I am pleased with the tires.

I had known for many years that G/Y did at one time own Dunlop and have had several sets of Dunlop tires over the years with good success as well. I can't explain why. I used to buy Dunlop Gold Seal, GT Qualifier, Signature/Signature II etc. I've had decent success with KELLY Springfield(a.k.a KELLY) tires as well but, that was a long time ago, IDK if they're even in business today. I've used lots of KELLY Charger tires on old Camaro's & Firebirds way back when and EXPLORER(I think that's what they were called) on some old family cars. They were good and cheap and did quiet well for me.

Secondly, it's not only G/Y tires that I have had issues with over the years, They're just the only major tire mfg that I have had issues with. I have also had issue with "private label" tires as well. I don't like private label tires and have never, ever, ever had good success with these types of tires either. And I know, I know, these private label tires are made my major mfg's who in fact have a good reputation. And many made by e.g., COOPER, who I do indeed like. However, I do not like many of Cooper's private label brands that I have experienced.

Lastly I'd like to say that we're all in a good place with the internet, tires testing facilities & consumer reviews and choices of where to buy them. We should all be thankful for that and we should all be choosing better, safer tires than we once did all because of this.

Last edited:
Were all 4 tires the same age?

Krzys
If you are replying to my post, I'm not POSITIVE they were all fresh, but all four tires were from WM, all of them purchased within one week. I would assume they wouldn't sit on the rack too long. However, I did not check the manufacturing date, just never purchased any more of their tires.

If you are replying to my post, I'm not POSITIVE they were all fresh, but all four tires were from WM, all of them purchased within one week. I would assume they wouldn't sit on the rack too long. However, I did not check the manufacturing date, just never purchased any more of their tires.
I was replying to your message.
"I shopped at WM and managed to have three of them put on because they only had three in stock. The fourth was put on a week later. "

They may have been made years apart (or at different factories).

Similar issue with better end results.
On Miata message board there was complaint that after buying 4 new tires car does not drive the same.
It was found that the same model/size was imported from two different countries (implies two factories). 3 were from one and the other from different one. The tires were different enough for the Miata (and driver) to notice.
After replacing 1 tire to match the others car started driving properly.

Krzyś

You may need to discipline yourself better on timely tire rotations, as the miles (and age) increase on your car. Just because you have been lax on rotations in the past... and have gotten away with it... doesn't mean that you'll continue to get away with it going forward.

Do you need an alignment? Do you have suspension components that are showing increased amounts of wear... which is in turn accelerating tire wear? You can look into this now, or figure it out when this set of tires wears out quicker than expected.

Since you're seeing what may be an advancing decline in tire life, I wouldn't just blame the tires and then stop there. You also may be seeing something that appears to be getting worse as time goes on, as the amount of miles on the car increase.

You may need to discipline yourself better on timely tire rotations, as the miles (and age) increase on your car. Just because you have been lax on rotations in the past... and have gotten away with it... doesn't mean that you'll continue to get away with it going forward.

Do you need an alignment? Do you have suspension components that are showing increased amounts of wear... which is in turn accelerating tire wear? You can look into this now, or figure it out when this set of tires wears out quicker than expected.

Since you're seeing what may be an advancing decline in tire life, I wouldn't just blame the tires and then stop there. You also may be seeing something that appears to be getting worse as time goes on, as the amount of miles on the car increase.
Some good points … our Fusion is going through tires quicker as it ages … always in the “about to trade it in“ mode
(last vehicle I gave my son and he knows the next one is on him)

It is unfortunate that our data consists of results from a set of high mileage tires, a set of all-weather tires, and a set of tires that are 'round' and 'black'.

I'm still leaning towards the car as being a factor here as well, as it ages.

Back