Premature water pump failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomioka

$104 Site Donor 2024
The two year old ACDelco OEM water pump on my Silverado is making a loud squealing noise for a couple months now and after confirming the source of the noise with a mechanics stethoscope I've determined the water pump needed to be replaced.

I'm mad that an OEM part only lasted two years where the original pump lasted 14 years and that was because it started weeping. What could cause the WP bearings to fail?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
AC Delco parts could be anything. Not guaranteed to be OEM.

+1. Only one line of AC Delco parts are confirmed to be OE parts.

Welp I picked up a Gates water pump. Made in China. Heck I'm guessing the ACDelco is also made in China too.

I put a NAPA branded Gates water pump on my '99 Silverado over two years ago and it has not given me one bit of trouble. Mine is solidly built and I have zero concern about it not lasting.

Did you do a complete coolant flush when you replaced the water pump? Most people just drain and refill. How many miles on the belt tensioner? With a lot on miles on them, they move don't freely and cause more wear on the pump. Fan clutch-same story-change now if high miles. I sold parts for years at Napa & GM. Most people just drain coolant, R&R pump and then have issues shortly. End users that replaced the other components and did a good flush, usually had little to no issues.

Also, could just be defective low quality pump. As others have send, most AC Delco parts are no different than standard after market parts i.e. Napa, Autozone, China stuff. AC Delco isn't factory stuff any more-they are more of just a marketing name.

Dave

I thought they had different product lines? Actual OE and Professional. Perhaps you purchased the Professional? The prices difference between the 2 would certainly reflect the difference in quality.

They are a bit misleading since they are an OE parts name, but also put their name on sub tiered parts store quality stuff as well.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I thought they had different product lines? Actual OE and Professional. Perhaps you purchased the Professional? The prices difference between the 2 would certainly reflect the difference in quality.

They are a bit misleading since they are an OE parts name, but also put their name on sub tiered parts store quality stuff as well.

They do and the poster who said they are no longer GM original parts is incorrect, they are.

http://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/auto-part-classifications.content.html

Some simple clarification.

OE is their best. These parts are installed at the factory and pass GM's minimum 112K performance and durability requirements.
Pro is about the same as average aftermarket.
Advantage is little more than white box with possibly better quality control, close to the bottom of the barrel.
SPC are generally performance or added durability parts and not cheap. These were included in the GMPP catalogs.

Using the Rock Auto look up for your vehicle I noticed there are two AC Delco pump choices, one says "Original Equipment" and is significantly higher in price. Don't know which one you purchased, but if the more expensive one I'd likely be a little more ticked. Not that it helps in either case.

Having dealt with an older GM vehicle recently in the family extended stable, now disposed of, I think all of the AC Delco OEM/Original Equipment parts I purchased, had a coo of China.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
AC Delco parts could be anything. Not guaranteed to be OEM.

100%

The "OEM" part you are referring to doesn't come in a fancy color box.

You MOST LIKELY got some foreign aftermarket part

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back