Premature spark plug wear

So I don't doubt you, but you have any details? Everything Amazon owned is spread around the warehouse. There is no big bin of denso plugs somewhere. There might be the same denso plugs scattered in bins across the entire warehouse. They might be in a bin with oreo cookies and socks, because the algorithm tells them that people order those 3 things together and the entire algorithm is about efficiency of picking parts. So if I order one from a 3rd party, is it picked from the nearest bin irrelevant of ownership, or is it picked from the bin based on its owner. I don't know - but I honestly don't think they co-mingle - for the simple reason that then they would be on the hook to handle the warranty or return for a defective 3rd party part.

Having rambled all that, amazon gets there crap from a wholesaler like everyone else, so I wouldn't be surprised if they get fakes, but I still would like to know in this case from the OP.
The plugs that I purchased came from a third party selling on Amazon. A parts seller that has good ratings. Now, whether or not they knew they were selling fake plugs is the unknown.

As someone who has bought and installed numerous sets of fake NGK plugs from Amazon, I will never buy another plug form them. On a Honda 4 banger, replacing plugs is easy for us DIYers, but not so on a Honda Odyssey V6. And getting ripped off makes me madder than H-E-double toothpics.

As someone who has bought and installed numerous sets of fake NGK plugs from Amazon, I will never buy another plug form them. On a Honda 4 banger, replacing plugs is easy for us DIYers, but not so on a Honda Odyssey V6. And getting ripped off makes me madder than H-E-double toothpics.
I don't blame you - but there is a lengthy thread on Toyota Nation about fake NGK's plugs from RA as well, so for me they might be out also.

So I guess OEM is the way to go at this point.

I have a set of NGK's from RA ready to go into one of my VQ40's. 4 of the plugs are directly accessible, but 2 are quite a pain. I will at minimum do those two with new OEM's I guess - or just pay up front and do all 6 with OEM.

Having said that, I have done the plugs in these engines 3 times @ 100K intervals, one set from Amazon, 1 set from RA, and 1 set from a random ebay seller that were NOS OEM - and all 3 have lasted fine. So there is that.

I don't blame you - but there is a lengthy thread on Toyota Nation about fake NGK's plugs from RA as well, so for me they might be out also.

I have a set of NGK's from RA ready to go into one of my VQ40's. 4 of the plugs are directly accessible, and 6 are not. I will at minimum do those two with new OEM's I guess - or just pay up front and do all 6 with OEM.

Having said that, I have done the plugs in these engines 3 times @ 100K intervals, one set from Amazon, 1 set from RA, and 1 set from a random ebay seller that were NOS OEM - and all 3 have lasted fine. So there is that.
I just hit up OReilly or whatever. Being ripped off was highly offensive to me. Sometimes the dealer is not a bad option, ya gotta check.

I just hit up OReilly or whatever. Being ripped off was highly offensive to me. Sometimes the dealer is not a bad option, ya gotta check.
I believe we had a thread in the past regarding this.

Can we actually trust the auto parts stores? We don't know who they are getting it from.

I would tend to trust AAP, AZ or O Reilly's way, way, way more than Whooptyfied
Parts Cheap Online.com 3rd party seller on Amazon or eBay.

Has anyone on here gotten fake plugs from O Reilly's, AZ or AAP ?

I don't recall seeing anyone on here having that problem. Though I could be wrong about that.

I have a set of NGK's from RA ready to go into one of my VQ40's. 4 of the plugs are directly accessible, but 2 are quite a pain. I will at minimum do those two with new OEM's I guess - or just pay up front and do all 6 with OEM.

RA uses the same warehouses that real parts stores use. Just google the return address of your next Rock Auto order, and it will lead you to the supplier.

RA uses the same warehouses that real parts stores use. Just google the return address of your next Rock Auto order, and it will lead you to the supplier.
My RA purchases, which have been many over the years, have all been hither and yon. I don't know what this has to do with anything about plugs being fake or not. Amazon buys likely from those same warehouses. The world's second largest, $2B a year retailer isn't buying from some guy on ebay.

They probably were counterfeit. Fakes have no durability. Never understood why people go the oem route for plugs. Ngk laser iridiums are more than good enough. A lot of oem's will buy those to slap their oem label on and sell for more anyway.
What don't you understand ? Why wouldn't someone go the OEM route and use Denso on a Camry, they are OEM, or did you mean to say something else?

Toyota's are picky about plugs. Denso or NGK is what they run best with. Buy from a local retailer not on line. Some cars run fine with whatever you stuff in the hole but not Toyota's.

Paco
This is so true. I had a misfire on my 03 Corolla and so I swapped plugs (looked to be factory plugs @168k miles) . However I made a grave mistake… at the time I didn’t know much and listened to the advice of the autodummy cashiers advice and got Bosch plugs. Not even 10 miles in, misfire again, went into limp mode. Will only use OEM till death.

Back