Preferred Diesel Additive?

Just stick with the PS. Howes, Stanadyne, Opti-Lube, Etc.....they are all ok. I have used them all but usually end up with PS a it is widely available. I run Hot Shot's Diesel Secret every six months and do see a small difference in my regeneration frequency and fuel mileage. It isn't meant to be used continually or for gel prevention.

Just stick with the PS. Howes, Stanadyne, Opti-Lube, Etc.....they are all ok. I have used them all but usually end up with PS a it is widely available. I run Hot Shot's Diesel Secret every six months and do see a small difference in my regeneration frequency and fuel mileage. It isn't meant to be used continually or for gel prevention.
I may end up going back with PS. I just finished a gallon of Stanadyne Performance Formula and didn't see any benefit over PS, especially for the cost.

I got a bunch of Lucas Cetane Power Booster on clearance and I'm running through that now.

I may end up going back with PS. I just finished a gallon of Stanadyne Performance Formula and didn't see any benefit over PS, especially for the cost.

I got a bunch of Lucas Cetane Power Booster on clearance and I'm running through that now.
Aren't you a LiquiMoly guy? Surprised you have used their diesel additive. They're the only other company I know other than Amalgamated Inc which uses cetane improver 2EHN. 2EHN is what the refiners use when they need to increase the cetane of their fuel.

Aren't you a LiquiMoly guy? Surprised you have used their diesel additive. They're the only other company I know other than Amalgamated Inc which uses cetane improver 2EHN. 2EHN is what the refiners use when they need to increase the cetane of their fuel.
I would not consider myself a Liqui Moly guy. I've tried their stuff in the past, but really only advocate for Motor Oil Saver in specific cases.

Would using their fuel additive be as cost-effective as PS?

I would not consider myself a Liqui Moly guy. I've tried their stuff in the past, but really only advocate for Motor Oil Saver in specific cases.

Would using their fuel additive be as cost-effective as PS?
ahh ok...

As for cost effective I'm not sure. It's hard to make an accurate comparison because the ingredients are so different. I imagine LM would be more expensive because it's imported and they use 2EHN rather than xylene or whatever PS uses as their cetane improver.. I did not choose Liqui Moly because I wanted to be able to refill product at home and use a product which contained 2EHN. That was my own requirement.

When I had my 335d I would buy 6 quarts of additive at a time.

$90 for additive which treats 750 gallons of fuel. My fuel tank held about 16 gallons so I had enough additive for 48 fill-ups at about $1.87/tank.

Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane runs $20 for 80oz. (treats 250 gallons). $1.33/tank
Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane runs about $6 for their 16 oz (one tank) product. $6/tank

+1 for Howe's. I've also run Stanadyne and both diesels like it.

Currently using Amsoil's diesel "all-in-one" additive. (linky) Easily found on the shelf at my local Ace Hardware.

Walmart is blowing out Howes right now. I've seen the clearance price at a couple of stores now. I just bought the 32oz Diesel Treat for $2.75 and the 32oz Meaner Kleaner was $5.75

Hi.
Can you lads get Millers products?

I use the 'Diesel-Power Ecomax' religeously and never had any fuel pump, injector, egr or turbo vain issues.

Seems that the main ingredient is 2-ETHYLHEXYL NITRATE.

Coldest i have encountered is -10f. All UK Diesel is winterised at the refinery to function without anti gelling additives. -10f though to some of you lads is probably shorts and t shirt weather. :)

I'm not a fan of cetane over 42-45 (in the diesels I own) unless it's in low load, low temp conditions.

So I use the regular Amsoil ADF in summer, and switch to SoyShield 139a (added cetane/antigel) in the winter.

I have used the Archoil products in all my diesel’s and have never had any fuel related failures any kind of egr or dpf issues nothing and all Powerstrokes

This guy is awesome:

He tested the Gelling & Lubricity of some common fuel additives.
~ Note it's Hot's shot's winter version, not the common EDT or Extreme (My research started with a no start at -30C lol)
~ Hot shot's customer service person said the EDT has LX4 in it and the winter version doesn't.

Surprising cliff note.
~ Howes did realllllyyy bad on the Lubricity test

This guy is awesome:

He tested the Gelling & Lubricity of some common fuel additives.
~ Note it's Hot's shot's winter version, not the common EDT or Extreme (My research started with a no start at -30C lol)
~ Hot shot's customer service person said the EDT has LX4 in it and the winter version doesn't.

Surprising cliff note.
~ Howes did realllllyyy bad on the Lubricity test

whats the theory of testing a diesel addictive with a gas motor??

I know this is an old thread, but I've been using Archoil 6900-DMax in my vehicles for quite some time now. It's an ester lubricant and utilises 2-EHN as a cetane improver and ferrocene to reduce carbon build up and aid DPF regeneration.

Not sure if it's available in the US?

It's great stuff and makes my rattly 3 cylinder diesel more bearable.

Back