Preferred Diesel Additive?

Hi all,

I have been using Power Service Diesel Kleen in my '12 Touareg TDI since I bought it at 78k miles. No complaints.

I'm about to click 105k miles and have a bottle of Stanadyne Performance Formula to try next. Not expecting a drastic change, but this is what VW recommends.

My main concern is lubricity. Bio is not an option in my area.

What do you all use? Are there any standout additives in this category?

I use XDP diesel power plus during the warmer months and in the winter use XDP polar-d and Howe's diesel treat in the winter.

I used power service diesel clean in the past. It seemed to cause an issue where my dpf would fill up a little quicker on my lml.

I don't know what a '12 Touareg has in the way of emission controls but have always used PS. I imagine there will be zero noticeable difference with the Stanadyne. If you want to actually see a discernible difference I would recommend Hot Shot Diesel Secret every six months followed by whatever everyday treatment you prefer. You will actually see a difference with this every six month application for that initial tank and possibly longer if you chart your fuel mileage.

I don't know what a '12 Touareg has in the way of emission controls but have always used PS. I imagine there will be zero noticeable difference with the Stanadyne. If you want to actually see a discernible difference I would recommend Hot Shot Diesel Secret every six months followed by whatever everyday treatment you prefer. You will actually see a difference with this every six month application for that initial tank and possibly longer if you chart your fuel mileage.

Right now it has DPF, SCR, and def. Probably for the next year or so.

I have seen Hot Shot's Secret Diesel Extreme in the parts stores. Their EDT And LX4 have very economical ratios. I could use one of those and use the DE to top up the fuel filter housing when I change the filter.

I use Stanadyne in warm weather and the Power Service in white container in winter so I do not get fuel gelling. But that may not be an issue in NC.

But Stanadyne and Power Service are both highly regarded and used by many truckers.

I use Stanadyne in warm weather and the Power Service in white container in winter so I do not get fuel gelling. But that may not be an issue in NC.

But Stanadyne and Power Service are both highly regarded and used by many truckers.
Fuel gelling is definitely not an issue here. I plan to take a bottle of Diesel 911 with me if I travel up north this winter.

Is there any merit to TC-W3 in the fuel for HPFP lubrication? I imagine it won't be great for the DPF, but in the future...

Fuel gelling is definitely not an issue here. I plan to take a bottle of Diesel 911 with me if I travel up north this winter.

Is there any merit to TC-W3 in the fuel for HPFP lubrication? I imagine it won't be great for the DPF, but in the future...

I used TC-W3 in my Dodge Ram 1999 diesel (Cummins) because it had a Bosch VP44 mechanical injector pump. I do not think the current injector pumps are as critical as the older mechanical ones for lubrication.

I think everyone with a diesel vehicle has seen this report. It is, however, 13 years old and I can only assume that some or all of the additives tested have been updated or completely reformulated. I would absolutely mix bio if I could purchase it locally and the lubricity argument would be all but moot.

I used TC-W3 in my Dodge Ram 1999 diesel (Cummins) because it had a Bosch VP44 mechanical injector pump. I do not think the current injector pumps are as critical as the older mechanical ones for lubrication.
Lubrication is just as critical for Bosch CR HPFPs. European EN-590 testing specifies a 460 micron wear scar, ASTM US D-975 specifies 520 micron and is commonly tested to show 560 micron.

Bosch specifies 460 micron, so the pumps wear more rapidly in the US without a lubricity additive.

I think everyone with a diesel vehicle has seen this report. It is, however, 13 years old and I can only assume that some or all of the additives tested have been updated or completely reformulated. I would absolutely mix bio if I could purchase it locally and the lubricity argument would be all but moot.

Lubrication is just as critical for Bosch CR HPFPs. European EN-590 testing specifies a 460 micron wear scar, ASTM US D-975 specifies 520 micron and is commonly tested to show 560 micron.

Bosch specifies 460 micron, so the pumps wear more rapidly in the US without a lubricity additive.

My impression was that all diesel should have the proper amount of lubricity from the pump. Adding TC-W3 was for extra insurance in case some diesel was not blended properly.

I pretty much only use the Mobil Synergy diesel fuel these days.

Hi all,

I have been using Power Service Diesel Kleen in my '12 Touareg TDI since I bought it at 78k miles. No complaints.

I'm about to click 105k miles and have a bottle of Stanadyne Performance Formula to try next. Not expecting a drastic change, but this is what VW recommends.

Vw recommends stanadyne for fuel gelling. That was the point of the TSB in 2004.

I use Kreen every now and then on my CDI it can be used in fuel or oil. I understand that it is safe for DPF, SCR, , but my car does not have SCR, or DEF system and I am not going to have one that has it (ask me why).

I think everyone with a diesel vehicle has seen this report. That is a ridiculous statement.

It is, however, 13 years old and I can only assume that some or all of the additives tested have been updated or completely reformulated. You know what happens when you assume? Are you looking for more unsubstantiated, n=1 opinions based on nothing more than "seat of the pants"? I'd be quite interested if anyone had anything remotely resembling reasonably scientifically derived information to share re: the original question.

I have been using Power Service Diesel Kleen in my '12 Touareg TDI since I bought it at 78k miles. No complaints. Power Service rates relatively poorly (10th out of 15) in the only test I've ever seen, what's your basis for its selection as your lubricity enhancer other than your own pant seat?

I'm about to click 105k miles and have a bottle of Stanadyne Performance Formula to try next. Not expecting a drastic change, but this is what VW recommends. Again, it also rates relatively poorly (8th out of 15) as a lubricity enhancer. I have owned VWs for the last 30 years including a half dozen diesels and I must have missed that they recommend a lubricity enhancer - can you provide a reference for VAG's specific recommendation of Stanadyne (a curious selection as there are much better products)? Or even a broad recommendation by VAG for a lubricity enhancer at all?

Only had one TDi but I used PS for the first 100k, along with B20 when I could. I forget when I stopped using either, probably 100 to 150k or so. I do know the last 100k+ was on whatever Irvings diesel is (local fuel station has good turnover). AFAIK there was nothing wrong with the PD injectors despite having over 300k when I got rid of it. YMMV but I wound up believing it just wasn't necessary to dose the fuel--maybe it does if one wants 500k on original injectors? maybe not on some systems where that kind of lifespan isn't expected?

Being a cheapskate I'd go with what's cheapest. :giggle:

I used Power Service in my 2012 Cummins until I gelled up when it was -40F here in eastern Iowa 2 winters ago... I switched to Howes and never looked back. Anyone that will pay for the tow if you gel up is worth it to me.

I use this in the summer as a maintenance product and I do get better mileage using it...

Just my $0.02

I had a '11 Touareg TDI. VW gave me enough money to sell it back to them at 173,000 miles. I always used an additive, mostly Renewable Lubricants Bio-Power Summer. Occasionally Schaeffer's Diesel Treat 2000 or Amalgamated's TDR-FL. Never had a fuel or fuel system related problem.

Hi all,

fill with diesel with some bio - this is my first pref
else, I pour in some SOYSHIELD, I buy it by the gallon.

My impression was that all diesel should have the proper amount of lubricity from the pump. Adding TC-W3 was for extra insurance in case some diesel was not blended properly.

I pretty much only use the Mobil Synergy diesel fuel these days.
Not since ULSD was introduced, modern diesels in light cars and trucks still struggle with lack of lubricity--particularly Bosch HPFP like the one in your Powerstroke. Also, there was a case study performed in Australia a few years back that showed TC-W3 did nothing for lubricity.

Stanadyne, Diesel Kleen, and Howe's work pretty well to increase lubricity and prevent gelling.

Gelling - buy your diesel from a high volume place with buncha semis parked and you will be fine, I have never gelled ...

Back