Predator 9500W generator after break in oil recommendation?

So I finally made it through the 30 hour factory recommended break in process on my 9500W Predator generator. I used Castrol GTX 10w30 changes at 1.5 hours and then every 5 hours till I hit 30 hours. I use it in the Colorado winters and it gets cold so I'm thinking Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic. Would this be a good oil to use in the winter cold and also the summer heat? Or should I consider something else? Factory says to use 10w30. Thanks!

So I finally made it through the 30 hour factory recommended break in process on my 9500W Predator generator. I used Castrol GTX 10w30 changes at 1.5 hours and then every 5 hours till I hit 30 hours. I use it in the Colorado winters and it gets cold so I'm thinking Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic. Would this be a good oil to use in the winter cold and also the summer heat? Or should I consider something else? Factory says to use 10w30. Thanks!
That should be a good choice - I’m running Redline 10W30 in one … Delvac 1 5W40 in others …

So I finally made it through the 30 hour factory recommended break in process on my 9500W Predator generator. I used Castrol GTX 10w30 changes at 1.5 hours and then every 5 hours till I hit 30 hours. I use it in the Colorado winters and it gets cold so I'm thinking Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic. Would this be a good oil to use in the winter cold and also the summer heat? Or should I consider something else? Factory says to use 10w30. Thank

At work, we have a Honda EU2200. When it’s cold, it’ll run a few seconds then die with the oil alert on. The oil level is fine. I can finally get it going, but it’s a pain. Something I wouldn’t want to deal with in an actual outage nonetheless.

It could be the design of the Honda, but your setup could behave the same. It’s certainly worth testing in the cold at least. If you’re going to store it in a climate controlled area, go for it, otherwise I’d try to find a 0w something.

What I have found with both my small Honda Generator, as well as my 2 Westinghouse 9,500 Watt models, is that while they are all air cooled and splash oiled, they warm up very fast. They also have very small crankcase capacities. (Not much over 1 quart).

If I start them on say a 45 F morning, the crankcase metal is warm to the touch in just a minute or 2. In 5 minutes you can't keep your hand on it. So if you do use a heavier weight oil, (I use Mobil 1, 15W-50), it will thin out quickly.

And when these things are running under a heavy load, they can get very hot. (Both the engine as well as the dynamo). And they usually run for hours on end. In hurricane country it can be for days, or even weeks.

So leaning to the thicker side of oil viscosity is going to be more beneficial. As opposed to a thermostatic controlled, liquid cooled automotive engine, with a 7 quart crankcase, that only gets driven on short trips in Duluth in December.

I have 10W-30 in my generators. I've started the generator in 30 degree weather and it pulled over ok. Below 20 degrees it started getting harder to pull. This is with 100cc and 160cc engines. I use to have a generator with an 8hp B&S that I used 10W-30 in. I had to stand on the frame and use both hands to pull it over in the winter.

10W-30 should protect the engine just fine, but you may want to try a 0W-40 or 5W-40 for easier starts on that larger engine in the winter and protection in the summer. People in Alaska use 0W-30 or 0W-40 oils because it really gets cold up there in the winter.

Thanks gentlemen! So a 0w40 is ok even though the owners manual say only 10w30? 0w40 makes sense for winter use and still good for hot summers....

Thanks gentlemen! So a 0w40 is ok even though the owners manual say only 10w30? 0w40 makes sense for winter use and still good for hot summers....
Either that or the previously mentioned 5w-40 RT6. I've used both 10w-30 Mobil1 HM and 5w-40 RT6 in my generators. Presently they are filled with the latter. Can't say that I've noticed any difference between those oils but I've never had to pull start one below 30 degrees.

Just an FYI - the starter battery on my Predator 3500 went after only two years. Starts were weak after a month of rest even from the get go. I replaced it with an AGM type battery of the same size and no longer have that problem. Per BITOG advice I added pigtails to allow battery charging without opening up the compartment.

Just an FYI - the starter battery on my Predator 3500 went after only two years. starts were weak after a month of rest even from the get go. I replaced it with an AGM type battery of the same size and no longer have that problem.
This is fairly common on many gensets. A big part of why is because the things vibrate so badly. If you watch the batteries mounted on the frames of many of these generators when they are running, some are almost as bad as being on a paint shaker at Home Depot. AGM batteries are a bit less prone to damage from severe vibration. So they're the wiser replacement choice.

Either that or the previously mentioned 5w-40 RT6. I've used both 10w-30 Mobil1 HM and 5w-40 RT6 in my generators. Presently they are filled with the latter. Can't say that I've noticed any difference between those oils but I've never had to pull start one below 30 degrees.

Just an FYI - the starter battery on my Predator 3500 went after only two years. Starts were weak after a month of rest even from the get go. I replaced it with an AGM type battery of the same size and no longer have that problem. Per BITOG advice I added pigtails to allow battery charging without opening up the compartment.
So I already use Mobil 1 0w40 European for my Volvo XC70 so I have a bunch of it. So I think I will use that! M1 0w40 is good year round in Colorado?

So I finally made it through the 30 hour factory recommended break in process on my 9500W Predator generator. I used Castrol GTX 10w30 changes at 1.5 hours and then every 5 hours till I hit 30 hours. I use it in the Colorado winters and it gets cold so I'm thinking Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic. Would this be a good oil to use in the winter cold and also the summer heat? Or should I consider something else? Factory says to use 10w30.
Incredible ! 1.5 hour oil changed for 30 hours.

Just received this generator and got it running today. I'm running Mobil 1 0W-40 because I have a ton of it in my stash. I ran it for an hour, changed the oil, and **** there was enough metal in the oil that it looked like someone dumped in glitter. I'm gonna do a few more 1-hour OCIs at least until I don't see glitter anymore and then probably every 5 hours like the OP until I hit 30 hours.

On a positive note, it's pretty darn quiet - especially compared to my 9000W Westinghouse and the build quality seems much better.

Back