Pre & Post ARX Filter Media Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.
A request for inspection of a pre-ARX oil filter vs a post-ARX has been mentioned. I cut open two filters this afternoon and did that.

Both filters were Purolators, one regular and one PureOne.

The PureOne was regular oil, M1 5w-40. It had visible small black specks in the valleys of the media.

The regular Purolator was ST 5w-30 with the clean-phase ARX treatment. It, too, had visible small black specks in the valleys of the media.

They were practically identical. I didn't stick my fingers in them to see if they were chunky or smooth. The M1 filter was run for 2k miles, the ARX filter was run for 1400 miles.

The only difference I could tell was the ARX filter had small shiny specks in it where the regular oil filter did not. The specks were obviously metallic. It is possible they came from when I cut through the filter can with the grinder, but they were evenly dispersed in the media and didn't really look like grindings.

Other then the small shiny specks in the ARX filter I saw the same small black specks in both.

I had the tiny specs in mine too. My two engine treatments were on real old cars. Most of the sludge seams to get liquefied, but i think those are minor deposits of some kind. Whatever it is it is good to be in your filter than in your motor.

rx1.jpg

I'm not sure if it's going to show but there are tiny black specs on dipstik. It's obvious the Autorx is working. On both applications is almost appears to be ash like. I will say that the oil change after the rinse and clean phase show no signs of these specs at all, and that's on both applications of mine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back