PQIA Issues Consumer Alerts on Auto Club oil & ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, aside from my dipstick, there is a label somewhere under the hood of the F-150 with respect to oil choice. I should see if I can get a picture of it. It's a bit long winded and kind of comical, with cautions about certain diesel specifications, if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted By: Sedin26

Comments like this show that people here often don't understand the mindset of a typical consumer. If they need to buy oil they have absolutely no idea what to get. AP certification means nothing to them and they will not even see the donut. They likely don't even know which weight to buy and will often go by the colour of the bottle or something similar.

If you know what 10w30 indicates you are much more advanced than 99.999% of the oil buying population.

That doesn't make most consumers stupid - it just means they don't understand this particular area.
But why would somebody that barely making ends meet buy $4 a qt oil at the gas station or corner market and not $2.67 a qt oil @ WM?

http://appext9.dos.ny.gov/corp_public/CORPSEARCH.ENTITY_INFORMATION?p_nameid=4018575&p_corpid=4016517&p_entity_name=%6D%67%20%6C%75%62%65&p_name_type=%41&p_search_type=%43%4F%4E%54%41%49%4E%53&p_srch_results_page=0

Not much information available
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Sedin26

Comments like this show that people here often don't understand the mindset of a typical consumer. If they need to buy oil they have absolutely no idea what to get. AP certification means nothing to them and they will not even see the donut. They likely don't even know which weight to buy and will often go by the colour of the bottle or something similar.

If you know what 10w30 indicates you are much more advanced than 99.999% of the oil buying population.

That doesn't make most consumers stupid - it just means they don't understand this particular area.
But why would somebody that barely making ends meet buy $4 a qt oil at the gas station or corner market and not $2.67 a qt oil @ WM?

I'd guess besides the concern of driving low on oil because they are pressed for time and maybe not near a Walmart and don't want to burn out the gas. Maybe they live in apartment and don't and can't change their oil so they don't buy oil their own oil much and don't know about oil prices at Walmart. I have seen people buying Accel or whatever it's called API SA motor oil to presumably ut in a car to save $.50 cents or a dollar lol.

But you're right. It's not just due to being poor, but also ignoranance, poor planning and maybe laziness. No matter where one lives they can check their oil level, and go buy quality oil ahead of time at a good price.

The thing about Accel is that they state plainly on the label that their oils shouldn't be used in modern passenger vehicles. Accel DOES make a line-up of SN-rated modern weights I've seen at Big Lots...

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

There are other reasons as well. Most people don't understand API certification marks...

I disagree, most of my cars have an API requirement on the dipstick or fill cap.

I have never seen an API Service Category on a dipstick or fill cap, only occasionally the viscosity grade.

In any case, if you'd like to have some fun, ask your friends and relatives "what API Service Category oil does your car require?" I do this all the time. About 20% of the time I get...ahhhh, 5W-30? The other 80% of the time I get a blank stare. I have never received the right answer. These are bright people, they are just not into oil, as hard as that is to comprehend
55.gif

Tom NJ

I cannot stand this stuff - I am a chemist at an ILMA oil blender and a stakeholder in the Missouri Weights and Measures motor oil testing program. The State polled technicians at Missouri quick lubes and found nearly 40% did not know what the current API service categories were.

So yeah... even if it is on the dipstick, to most consumers it may as well be written in Klingon.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
The thing about Accel is that they state plainly on the label that their oils shouldn't be used in modern passenger vehicles. Accel DOES make a line-up of SN-rated modern weights I've seen at Big Lots...

True, a mislabled and contaminated product is worse. I was just pointing out that some people will buy SA oil and put it in their car out of poorness, cheepness or ignorance because it's less expenive

The ATF is clearly labelled "Dexron III" and "Mercon". Since those trademarked and licensed names have been discontinued by their respective owners since 2007, how can Auto Club legally use them in their advertising? Reputable blenders like Castrol (for instance) will use "DIII/M" or similar.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Very well stated, Tom, and we most definitely appreciate you sharing this information.
Seconded.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
The ATF is clearly labelled "Dexron III" and "Mercon". Since those trademarked and licensed names have been discontinued by their respective owners since 2007, how can Auto Club legally use them in their advertising?

I was waiting for someone to notice that.
thumbsup2.gif

Tom NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back