PP vs PPHM vs PU

Status
Not open for further replies.
BITOG Disclaimer: The Project Farm channel states that its videos are for entertainment purposes only. Project Farm does not perform ASTM tests, nor apply industry acknowledged methods and criteria, and therefore BITOG cannot endorse the results of tests of any lubricant or filter or similar product as seen on the Project Farm channel, and cautions readers giving credence to such entertainment information.

So I typically run pennzoil platinum 5w-30 in my 2011 5.0 with yearly OCI averaging 8500 miles. Closing in on 130k with no issues. Had a somewhat oily plug at 60k just did plugs and none were oily and no other issues except for nominal oil consumption of 1qt per 2000 miles.

Just watched projectfarm’s new pennzoil shoot out and found it fascinating the PP performed worse in most tests compared to their lower end options. With the PU and PPHM both within $1/5qt jug I wonder if it’s worth it going that route. Which one would you pick and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. Here is the VOA link for the 4 oils, done by Blackstone.
Blackstone does not test TBN the same as Polaris and suspect the numbers reported are lower than normal.
What info was of interest to me was the difference between Platinum and Ultra. Finally have a SP version VOA to see. Ultra appears to have more boron. While moly is great to have, it needs heat to activate. The boron is immediate on cold start oil.

Project Farm comparison video

Last edited:
Reactions: FZ1
Which oil would let you engine out live the ownership of your vehicle ?

So I typically run pennzoil platinum 5w-30 in my 2011 5.0 with yearly OCI averaging 8500 miles. Closing in on 130k with no issues. Had a somewhat oily plug at 60k just did plugs and none were oily and no other issues except for nominal oil consumption of 1qt per 2000 miles.

Just watched projectfarm’s new pennzoil shoot out and found it fascinating the PP performed worse in most tests compared to their lower end options. With the PU and PPHM both within $1/5qt jug I wonder if it’s worth it going that route. Which one would you pick and why?
Thanks for the info. Here is the VOA link for the 4 oils, done by Blackstone.
Blackstone does not test TBN the same as Polaris and suspect the numbers reported are lower than normal.
What info was of interest to me was the difference between Platinum and Ultra. Finally have a SP version VOA to see. Ultra appears to have more boron. While moly is great to have, it needs heat to activate. The boron is immediate on cold start oil.

Project Farm comparison video

Thanks, man. I am now running PUP 0w-20 in my Camry. I replaced 0W-20 AFE. The PUP runs thicker and more quiet than the AFE. PUP feels thicker at startup. Short trip city mpg seems slightly less with PUP, while longer city trips seem the same or slightly better than AFE. Ymmv.

I won't give them the click, but what are the details of these "tests"? Are we talking multiple identical engine tests run with each lube, at the same interval, followed by tear-downs with measurements as well as a standards-based grading scale for deposits?

I won't give them the click, but what are the details of these "tests"? Are we talking multiple identical engine tests run with each lube, at the same interval, followed by tear-downs with measurements as well as a standards-based grading scale for deposits?

No no, it's much more technical and precise than that.

Allow me to summarize;

A guy cooks oil in coffee pots

A guy freezes oil in his freezer

A guy runs a wear scar test using some homemade contraption.

No no, it's much more technical and precise than that.

Allow me to summarize;

A guy cooks oil in coffee pots

A guy freezes oil in his freezer

A guy runs a wear scar test using some homemade contraption.
So 540Rat has gone to culinary school in Alaska and as a result, has integrated the "coffee test" as well as the "snowbank test" into his protocol now? LOL

I gave this video a click and I regret it. I would've been better off spending the time I viewed this video on a trip to my garage and admire my shelf of motor oil. He also counts each elemental ppm on a Blackstone VOA and adds them up to get a 'score.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back