PP Euro LX 0w-30 - Discontinued?

Got a response back from Pennzoil, they say it’s not being discontinued but didn’t address it no longer appearing on their site. To be fair, I didn’t enquire the second part.

I guess I jumped the gun.

I wonder if they really will discontinue this. Here in Toronto, we have PP Euro 5w40, PP Euro L 5w30 and PP Euro LX 0w30. Maybe they will cancel the 0W and shift it to a 5w that's low SAPS.

I'm wondering, is the Euro L a mid saps or a low saps? Oh also, here's a useful link: https://www.epc.shell.com/

Off the top of my head I believe Euro L is mid saps, but it doesn't meet some common approvals, i.e. it's neither VW 502 (due to full saps) and it's apparently not good enough to meet VW 504 (mid saps).

Of course it's the one Wally's has ready to go on the shelf. If they had Euro LX I'd have been all over it.

Off the top of my head I believe Euro L is mid saps, but it doesn't meet some common approvals, i.e. it's neither VW 502 (due to full saps) and it's apparently not good enough to meet VW 504 (mid saps).

Of course it's the one Wally's has ready to go on the shelf. If they had Euro LX I'd have been all over it.
Same! I wish they’d release LX in a 5qt in the US, I strongly believe that’s what keeps it off the shelves at many stores. Pennzoil only distributes it in cases of 6, 24 and 55gal drums. If a store could get 6-5qt jugs, I’m inclined to believe they’d stock it.

I tried to work with my local Napa on getting some ordered but they refused to do so due to the unit minimum they needed to buy.

Euro L is diesel oil with diesel approvals

Attachments

• 1743306D-4513-40BC-8B45-4B8AF2477453.jpeg
    1743306D-4513-40BC-8B45-4B8AF2477453.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 75
The LX has crazy viscosity index, I think it sits at 204 last time I checked. I'm on the border with that since that means viscosity improvers but it still maintains a HTHS of 3.5 per C3 standards.

Honestly I just raher stick to M1 ESP 5w30. It has the all the specs that the Euro L and LX have minus the LL-04.

The LX has crazy viscosity index, I think it sits at 204 last time I checked. I'm on the border with that since that means viscosity improvers but it still maintains a HTHS of 3.5 per C3 standards.

Honestly I just raher stick to M1 ESP 5w30. It has the all the specs that the Euro L and LX have minus the LL-04.
The reason why it does not have LL04 is crazy oxidation requirements since 2018 by BMW. Mobil1 uses easters in their oils and IMO that does not fair well with updated BMW approvals.

The reason why it does not have LL04 is crazy oxidation requirements since 2018 by BMW. Mobil1 uses easters in their oils and IMO that does not fair well with updated BMW approvals.
Hmm interesting. Don't care for BMW approval either way, if it has a Porsche or MB approval I'll buy the oil, but that's not to say BMW has poor standards in their spec.

This is what I came across on esters in oils: https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29703/synthetic-esters-perform, I think it is a good read. If esters aid in fighting oxidation and are deemed excellent, then why no LL04 approvals for M1 products? M1 makes great products as everyone knows and meet A40/C30/M229.5/229.52 ratings easily yet no BMW approvals. Some say it is because BMW is with Shell but it has to be more than that since Castrol has had BMW approvals even though BMW went to Shell. Will be interesting to see if Shell retains BMW approvals now that BMW has gone back to Castrol.

Maybe M1 doesn't care for BMW at all and are fine with "loosing" the BMW market share. Who knows. Would love to be a fly on the wall for these corporate meetings.

Anywho, I'm itching to put this oil or the 5w30 ESP in my Z this year. Anyone have experience with either in a VQ engine?

Hmm interesting. Don't care for BMW approval either way, if it has a Porsche or MB approval I'll buy the oil, but that's not to say BMW has poor standards in their spec.

This is what I came across on esters in oils: https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29703/synthetic-esters-perform, I think it is a good read. If esters aid in fighting oxidation and are deemed excellent, then why no LL04 approvals for M1 products? M1 makes great products as everyone knows and meet A40/C30/M229.5/229.52 ratings easily yet no BMW approvals. Some say it is because BMW is with Shell but it has to be more than that since Castrol has had BMW approvals even though BMW went to Shell. Will be interesting to see if Shell retains BMW approvals now that BMW has gone back to Castrol.

Maybe M1 doesn't care for BMW at all and are fine with "loosing" the BMW market share. Who knows. Would love to be a fly on the wall for these corporate meetings.

Anywho, I'm itching to put this oil or the 5w30 ESP in my Z this year. Anyone have experience with either in a VQ engine?
There is a lot to unpack in your post.
Generally, PAO iand GRIII are used to fight oxidation. M1 shows higher TAN generally through UOA, and there is one recent one where Motul 300V, which is Ester based product, showed similar TAN as M1 0W40 which has much less esters. M1 for year, especially in Euro "flavors" shows higher TAN. Could not be a problem in general, but might be a problem if M1 is trying to obtain approval.
Shell being with BMW does not have anything with approval. Approval is super cheap for these companies. They send already developed oil, BMW test it, sends approval documentation back, and end of story. It is absolutely in BMW interest for as many oils to have approvals, not bcs. will somehow rack up money (again, approvals are cheap), but it will make things much easier for customers. Shell being in bed with BMW did not stop Castrol, Motul, Liqui Moly, Sellenia, Total, Luk Oil, OMV, Ravenol, Redline (Professional series), StatOil, Aral, Esso, Repsol, to name a few, to obtain BMW approvals. Considering number of BMW cars on the road, especially compared to Porsche, it would make sense for M1 to get approval. Also, comprehensively, BMW LL01 approval is bit more stringent than Porsche A40. Porsche A40 is important when looking performance of oils on the track.

Reviving old thread-

I noticed Walmart has PP Euro LX 0w-30 discounted to under $7 a quart. I could only put 7 quarts in my cart. (I didn't buy them, just selected them out of curiosity.)

Back