Unknown Synthetic 0w30 - 7,799 Miles - '18 Giulia w/ 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is the 1st UOA from my Giulia. I intentionally didn't disclose the brand of oil to Blackstone because frankly, I didn't trust that the dealership actually changed the oil (that's a story for a different day) and I didn't want someone to stumble on this and see a certain brand listed if in fact, that wasn't what was in the sump. I did an early change at 1,900 miles with the dealership (free first change) in order to get the early wear metals out. They told me that they use PP Euro LX as the shop oil for the Giulias. Well after seeing these results, I'm not entirely sure if that was true. They definitely changed the oil (which is most important) as this certainly isn't the Petronas Selenia Digitek Pure Energy these are factory filled with. However, it also doesn't look like PP Euro LX. I'll admit, there's not exactly a large sample size to analyze through but from what is available, it's clear that between the Petronas and PP the give aways are Calcium (1600-1700 for Petronas and 2300-2500 for PP), Moly (45-55 for Petronas and 69-80 for PP, Magnesium (low-to-mid-teens for Petronas and mid-20s for PP) and Phosphorus (700+ for Petronas and Low 600s for PP). As you can see from the UOA below, my results don't follow any of these trends.

Pennzoil either reformulated PP Euro LX between the last UOA posted on the Giulia board and me having my OC completed OR the dealership is using Mopar MaxPro+ which is SN Plus approved and MS-13340 certified (rather than SN and Fiat 9.55535-GS1). Then again the tech could have just done a horrible job...I kid
wink.gif

With all of that said and done, I'm very happy with these results as it's on par with other users are experiencing. I'll be kicking this OCI out to 10k and follow up with a 2nd UOA. If all goes well, I'll call it a day.

0 - 1,900 - Petronas Selenia Digitek Pure Energy 0w30
1,900 - 9,699 - Unknown Syn 0w30
9,699 - Present - PP Euro LX

[Linked Image]

Which part # did the dealer list on your invoice? I suspect they used MaxPro+ 0W-30, that is the most likely guess.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Which part # did the dealer list on your invoice? I suspect they used MaxPro+ 0W-30, that is the most likely guess.

Good point, but I'd imagine they'd list the Mopar part number regardless if they used it?

I'll check the invoice when I get home.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
I hate dealership oil changes. Rolling the dice....
The high moly was probably left-over from the factory fill. Some can and does stay behind on the next oil change.
Only VOA of PP Euro LX 0w30 is https://imgur.com/iD2Q73L and https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/14974-shell-helix-ultra-ect-c2c3-0w-30-svezhee/ both show a lot of Boron, which yours does not have.

Petronas has very little Moly.

Those samples are from 2015 and 2016, based on current analysis of PP (Giulia forums) the formulation has changed since then.

Originally Posted by RamFan
Originally Posted by The Critic

Good point, but I'd imagine they'd list the Mopar part number regardless if they used it?

I'll check the invoice when I get home.

Invoice states part number 68291576AA. When searching the part number, you're instantly being directed to Mopar 0w30. It seems as though this part number has now been superseded by 68444159AA.

2017-2018MY Alfa 2.0T call for SN rated oil while 2019MY call for SN Plus. I wonder if that's the cause for the product number change, seems likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back