PP 5w30, 6956 miles, 2006 Hyundai Sonata 3.3L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little worried about the results of my Sonata's latest Oil Analysis.

The analyzed oil was filled at 52097 miles. I had the oil changed and sampled at 59053 miles. On picking up the car, I was notified by the mechanic that coolant was leaking from water pump weep hole (he was doing a coolant flush - the car's first - and noticed this). I took the car to the dealer the next day and the water pump was changed under warranty.

As you can see below, the analysis of the oil drained at 52097 seemed fine. It appears as though coolant has got into the oil since then.

Does this appear to be the start of a head gasket failure? If so, would it be caused by overheating? I ask this, because the car overheated a little (I turned on the heater to keep it out of the read zone) after getting the cooling system flushed at 52097 miles just after getting off the highway, at a stop light. When I got home, I opened the hood, burped the radiator and added coolant.

The car does 80 miles/day - 90% highway.

Please see the oil analysis below. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks in advance.

BLACKSTONE COMMENT: Wear was virtually unchanged in the latest oil from your Sonata. Potassium and sodium are unusual
finds. They may show a little antifreeze getting into your oil, but it's a slight leak at best and not affecting
wear at this point. No fuel dilution was found and the viscosity was also normal. Keeping your oil runs short
is a good way to keep the contaminant from building up and affecting wear, though it's so slight at this point
that we think you can stick with 6K-7K. Let us know if this happens to be Red Line oil, which contains
potassium and sodium as additive.

MI/HR on Oil...............6,956....AVERAGES.. 7242...............UNIVERAL AVERAGES
MI/HR on Unit.............59,053..............52097
Sample Date.............8/5/2008..........3/18/2008
ALUMINUM.......................4.........5........6.................5
CHROMIUM.......................1.........1........1.................1
IRON...........................9.........9........9................13
COPPER.........................1.........1........1.................6
LEAD...........................0.........0........0.................0
TIN............................0.........0........0.................1
MOLYBDENUM....................53........51.......49................57
NICKEL.........................0.........0........0.................0
MANGANESE......................0.........0........0.................1
SILVER.........................0.........0........0.................0
TITANIUM.......................0.........0........0.................0
POTASSIUM.....................21........12........2.................3
BORON.........................25........25...... 25................30
SILICON.......................12........12.......11................12
SODIUM........................10.........7........4................20
CALCIUM.....................2750......2904.... 3057..............2545
MAGNESIUM.....................13........14...... 14................44
PHOSPHORUS.................. 666...... 681......696.............. 686
ZINC........................ 808...... 784......759.............. 825
BARIUM.........................0.........0........0.................0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F.......59.5...............58.8
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C......10.09...............9.87
Flashpoint in °F.............405......>365......375
Fuel %...................... Antifreeze %...................?.........0........0
Water %........................0...... Insolubles %................ 0.2......span>

IF there is a leak, it is SO minor, that it is just something to keep an eye on if future UOAS's....this UOA is great - wear is low, viscosity, flash and insoluables are excellent...nothing to worry about now at all!

I wouldn't stress too much about it. Run the current oil for 3000 miles and perform another analysis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back