PP 5W-30 / 7538 miles / 07 Nissan Murano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is the latest UOA for my 2007 Nissan Murano with the VQ35DE 3.5L DOHC V-6 engine. I am the original owner and this is the 18th UOA performed by Blackstone Labs.
At the beginning of this cycle I installed a new Wix air filter and Wix oil filter. My leisure travel takes me from S.C. up and down interstates along the east coast (NJ-FL) . Travels away from home amount to approx. 65% with local area travels consuming the remaining 35%.

Thanks for looking.

E93893.jpg

Have you always used PP?

They say that you have low wear due to longer than average ocis.

So frequent oil changes are bad for engines?

Overall very nice. You're 50% over the ua of 4.6k miles, and yet wear is near the averages. Good low wear rates.

Your consistent approach is to be applauded. IIRC, 7.5k miles is the OEM OCI. I would consider stretching out your OCIs. You have a couple of TBNs that show some life left, and the wear is VERY low. I would think 9k miles could easily be attained; perhaps 10k.

Originally Posted By: RedCorvette
Have you always used PP?

The UOA's at 80014 & 88086 miles were with Castrol Edge 5W-30. All other oil changes before and after those 2 cycles were PP 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Overall very nice. You're 50% over the ua of 4.6k miles, and yet wear is near the averages. Good low wear rates.

Your consistent approach is to be applauded. IIRC, 7.5k miles is the OEM OCI. I would consider stretching out your OCIs. You have a couple of TBNs that show some life left, and the wear is VERY low. I would think 9k miles could easily be attained; perhaps 10k.

Correct. 7500 miles is the max OCI while under warranty. I have wandered above that limit after the powerplant warranty (50K) expired. I'm satisfied with keeping the OCI's between 7.5-8K.
Thank you for your positive comments and suggestions.

This is one of the reasons I changed from Mobil 1 to PP in my Murano and other cars except the Corvette. The Corvette gets Castrol Edge.

I have about 109,000 miles on my 2006 Murano. I also change oil at 7500 miles.

Last edited:
Have you always used PP?

You misread it. They say that the wear metals level for HIS LONG OCI is even under the average 4600 mile OCI that the normal metals level is determined at.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Have you always used PP?

You misread it. They say that the wear metals level for HIS LONG OCI is even under the average 4600 mile OCI that the normal metals level is determined at.

Did I? I'll retype from the report:

"Your engine is putting very little metal in the oil per mile, as seen by the low wear trends created by longer than average oil change intervals you've been running"

Also, some other posters have said that 7.5k is the recommended oci.

What's interesting is that the TBN suggests 8.5k would be the maximum. So he is getting 1k above recommended oci by using quality synthetic. I wonder whether dino would last the 7.5k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Have you always used PP?

Did I? I'll retype from the report:

"Your engine is putting very little metal in the oil per mile, as seen by the low wear trends created by longer than average oil change intervals you've been running"

Also, some other posters have said that 7.5k is the recommended oci.

What's interesting is that the TBN suggests 8.5k would be the maximum. So he is getting 1k above recommended oci by using quality synthetic. I wonder whether dino would last the 7.5k.

Yeah, now include the next sentence (which says that Universal Average is for 4600 miles OCI) ! And note that wear metals are less than the "universal Averages".

They worded it poorly, but I believe they were saying the fact that this was a long OCI compared to the average, with wear metals below the average, meant that wear metals were REALLY low, not that the history of long OCI's was responsible for low wear.

TBN really seems to be something that reacts uniquely in each situation. For example, my 7.5k OCI with QSGB (dino oil at $2 qrt) had a TBN of 3.x after 7500 miles, and gave very low wear in my Fusion. Admittedly, my 2.5L four cyl is not the same as this engine, but it shows many dinos can go every bit of the OEM OCI and more. If it were not for warranty concerns, I'd do 9k mile OCIs on dino in a heartbeat in my car.

I often come off as being anti-synthetic; that's simply not true. But I am anti-waste, in any form. This is a good UOA; that's true, and I do not mean to take away from the good numbers. But I'd be interested to see how a high quality dino such as Mobil Super, QS, Valvoline, PZYB, etc would do? I suspect it would suprise many folks to see that the wear would be well in control, and perform similarly for a lot less cost. If the PP here is nearly maxed out around 8-9k miles for the OCI, could dino do (nearly) as well? I'd like to see!

dnewton has the baseline points again.

I think he has a winning formula for now, monitor insols for any further trending upwards.

If it were me: Consider adding a fuel system cleaner and idle pre-drain 'idle oil flush' (such as Amsoils, removed deposits when I used it during drain) to rid of carbon deposits as Nissans with a V6 tend to have issues from the few I've worked on. (not sure of newer than 2004 or 2005 models though)

Which oil filter specifically(Wix #?)?

I'd consider going to a premium synthetic oil filter if numbers don't go back down, just as a suggestion. This 'could' help TBN make it more consistently. Re-test next time for TBN @ 7.5k to check for repeatability at this point.

Also, I'd be curious to see a TAN/TBN reading on the same UOA on an app like this for learning purposes.

Is there a transition from API-SM to API-SN in the OP's UOA graph somewhere? A couple samples ago or? (it all looks so similar, maybe its all SN)

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

TBN really seems to be something that reacts uniquely in each situation. For example, my 7.5k OCI with QSGB (dino oil at $2 qrt) had a TBN of 3.x after 7500 miles, and gave very low wear in my Fusion. Admittedly, my 2.5L four cyl is not the same as this engine, but it shows many dinos can go every bit of the OEM OCI and more. If it were not for warranty concerns, I'd do 9k mile OCIs on dino in a heartbeat in my car.

I often come off as being anti-synthetic; that's simply not true. But I am anti-waste, in any form. This is a good UOA; that's true, and I do not mean to take away from the good numbers. But I'd be interested to see how a high quality dino such as Mobil Super, QS, Valvoline, PZYB, etc would do? I suspect it would suprise many folks to see that the wear would be well in control, and perform similarly for a lot less cost. If the PP here is nearly maxed out around 8-9k miles for the OCI, could dino do (nearly) as well? I'd like to see!

As much as i believe that dino oils are good and can do their job well in a variety of engines, this particular case is different and here's why...

PP is blended to be stronger then PYB, for example.
If PP is almost done @ 8-9k, i highly doubt a cheaper dino oil would stand a chance in this engine @ the same interval. It's a cheaper, weaker oil and "technically" should be toast a few thousand miles sooner in this particular situation.

Just my
49.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
As much as i believe that dino oils are good and can do their job well in a variety of engines, this particular case is different and here's why...

PP is blended to be stronger then PYB, for example.
If PP is almost done @ 8-9k, i highly doubt a cheaper dino oil would stand a chance in this engine @ the same interval. It's a cheaper, weaker oil and "technically" should be toast a few thousand miles sooner in this particular situation.

Just my
49.gif

Perhaps - but I see evidence to the contrary in many UOAs.

However, the only way to KNOW for sure is to run a few dino OCI/UOAs and see.

Again, acknolwedging that these are not the same engines, I got numbers this good from QSGB dino, and spent FAR less money, and ran 7.5k miles! Could have easily gone 9k miles on dino oil, but am limited by warrant constraints.

Will PYB do as well? The only way to know is to try it! The equipment OEM didn't predicate the 7.5k mile OCI on the use of synthetics. There is really no "risk" in trying a 5k mile dino OCI for the OP. Try 5k miles on PYB; review the results. If warranted, try 6k then 7.5k miles.

Why "guess" when one can "know"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back