PP 5W/30 7462 Miles 07 Murano VQ35DE V-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest UOA for my 07 Nissan Murano is provided below.

I put 7462 miles on my vehicle in just over two months. This period was the most active drive-wise for me and the Murano. My travels took me up and down the east coast from SC to southwest FL to NJ and points in between, more than once. The bulk of the traveling was on interstate highways at cruising speeds of 70-75 MPH from mid June to mid August.

The Murano with Pennzoil Platinum performed flawlessly. I am very satisfied with my decision to use PP since dumping the factory fill at 2910 miles.
55.gif
The vehicle had 51687 miles at this change. I used a Wix oil filter during this cycle. The air filter is an AFE Pro Dry.

P.S. I have already completed another round trip from S.C. to N.J. on the current cycle.

D87194.jpg

The advantages of hwy miles really show here. Try switching to M1 5-30EP and you could easily double you hwy OCIs.

Originally Posted By: tig1
The advantages of hwy miles really show here. Try switching to M1 5-30EP and you could easily double you hwy OCIs.

No need, this report is great and PP could easily go 10K+ in this engine.

This type of heavy driving is not normal for me. There were several family events going on that my wife and I attended. My normal interval is 3-4 months on 6K-7K miles.

The vehicle's powerplant is still under the manufacturer's warranty until 60K. 7500 miles is the maximum OCI for my type of driving. Based on this analysis and previous ones, I will stay at the 7000-7500 mile OCI. I believe this is the "sweet spot" for this engine.

Originally Posted By: Carpet_Bagger

This type of heavy driving is not normal for me. There were several family events going on that my wife and I attended. My normal interval is 3-4 months on 6K-7K miles.

The vehicle's powerplant is still under the manufacturer's warranty until 60K. 7500 miles is the maximum OCI for my type of driving. Based on this analysis and previous ones, I will stay at the 7000-7500 mile OCI. I believe this is the "sweet spot" for this engine.

I had the VQ in a couple of Z's and it also seemed to like the Schedule II maint @ 7500 hwy mi, my poison was Syntec though.

Nice report.

7500 works good for you.

This was mostly HWY miles so 7500 miles with a mix would have depleted the oil even more.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
Wow. Talk about consistent.

More proof that PP can go more than 7500 miles. Yet, the nay-sayers keep on coming.

In this case yes. In other cases maybe or no.

Even Pennzoil would not recommend 10,000 miles. Without UOA's and consistent driving style it is best to err on the side of caution.

Last edited:
I'm not one who tinkers with what appears to be a successful process. As I approached and exceeded the 7000mi. OCI, I knew by the oil analysis results that I reached the optimum interval for this engine. The decision to use and stick with PP was made early on and the 7000-7500 mile interval will be my benchmark forward.

The decision making process was greatly enhanced by the many thoughtful contributors on this site.

Silicone looks a little high.

I'm not sure what an AFE Pro Dry air filter is? Is this one of the washable, non-oiled dry filters?

I use only paper air filters, they filter best. Cloth air filters do not filter as good.

------------------------------

I checked this on the web, it is a cloth air filter. I would stop using this.

Is there an error in your report for silicone ? It lists 24 as the unit average, but none of your numbers was this high !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

I'm not sure what an AFE Pro Dry air filter is? Is this one of the washable, non-oiled dry filters?

I use only paper air filters, they filter best. Cloth air filters do not filter as good.

Is there an error in your report for silicone ? It lists 24 as the unit average, but none of your numbers was this high !

Yes, silicon has been a minor irritation all along, however, the UOA report(s) have consistently noted "some very admirable trends with regard to wear". I don't consider the minor difference in recent silicon readings (16ppm) versus the universal averages (12ppm) as a cause for concern.

I used NAPA Gold air filters from the start (2910 miles) and switched over to the AFE Pro Dry at 36,813 miles. I also tweaked up the induction system clamps and silicon readings have remained the same (16ppm). Therefore, the paper versus cloth air filtration preference doesn't convince me to change anything in that area.

The unit average is correct. The first three UOA results have "walked off" the report and you don't see those silicon readings (70,26,18). At 29,708 miles and a 18ppm silicon reading the lab noted "Silicon is still fairly high in this sample compared to averages, but it's starting to look like a normal find for this particular engine, and since wear looks great, we aren't going to worry about it at this level from here on out"

Originally Posted By: Carpet_Bagger

Yes, silicon has been a minor irritation all along, however, the UOA report(s) have consistently noted "some very admirable trends with regard to wear". I don't consider the minor difference in recent silicon readings (16ppm) versus the universal averages (12ppm) as a cause for concern.

I used NAPA Gold air filters from the start (2910 miles) and switched over to the AFE Pro Dry at 36,813 miles. I also tweaked up the induction system clamps and silicon readings have remained the same (16ppm). Therefore, the paper versus cloth air filtration preference doesn't convince me to change anything in that area.

The unit average is correct. The first three UOA results have "walked off" the report and you don't see those silicon readings (70,26,18). At 29,708 miles and a 18ppm silicon reading the lab noted "Silicon is still fairly high in this sample compared to averages, but it's starting to look like a normal find for this particular engine, and since wear looks great, we aren't going to worry about it at this level from here on out"

Thanks for your reply. I too, have a Murano (2006) and use Mobil 1 5W-30 and 7500 mile OCI. Never did a UOA on mine.

Alternatively, you could have a leak in one of your implants.
crackmeup2.gif

...just kidding!

I like these VQ35's. EKPOLK, a moderator of this site had really good UOA's on his VQ35 using GC. Just thought you might want to know that in case you want to try that flavor next time.

Good report over all but you might consider a foam pre filter to see if you can get that silicone down a bit. FOr the milage it is a tad igh not dreadful just a little high. I suspect that lead number would be lower if the silicone goes down some more.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Good report over all but you might consider a foam pre filter to see if you can get that silicone down a bit. FOr the milage it is a tad igh not dreadful just a little high. I suspect that lead number would be lower if the silicone goes down some more.

Please elaborate on the "foam pre filter". Where do you obtain one? Are they vehicle specific? Where is the filter installed?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back