PP 5w-30 4057 '05 Nissan Pathfinder VQ40DE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purhcased this vehicle used a few months ago. This is the first analysis I have done on it. As Blackstone suggested, the high sodium may be from the previous oil fill. I have no idea what oil was used previously. The wear looks good and the coolant level is stable, so I expect to see lower sodium on the next analysis. I am currently running GC 0w-30 in this vehicle. The engine runs smoother and quieter with the GC with no discernable change in mpg. I am doing short runs (4K miles) of several oils to see how they perform in this vehicle. After the GC, I will be running RTS 5w-40.

vq40de.jpg

Looks really good. You could have easily gone at least 7500 on this oil, as you could on the GC. Sodium is most like from something that was run before, lots of oils use it - Valvoline, Mobil dino, Castrol.....

Actually, now that I think about it, there was an oil filter on the vehicle from a Valvoline quick lube joint when I bought it. I'm using NAPA gold filters. If Valvoline dino uses Sodium, that explains it.

I have a hard time believing 54 ppm Na is left over from the previous fill, but I suppose it's possible.

So why the "?" from Brackstoned? They reserve that for when there really is a coolant leak.

I would at least do a short interval and UOA, and perhaps have the coolant tank sniffed for hydrocarbons.

if there is a possible leak i would be running cheaper dino changed frequently until the problem is fixed or till you find out if there is a coolant leak.

I'll be running the current oil for 4K miles like the PP to do a comparison. Withthe low wear metals and high TBN I am not suspecting a coolant leak.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I have a hard time believing 54 ppm Na is left over from the previous fill, but I suppose it's possible.

So why the "?" from Brackstoned? They reserve that for when there really is a coolant leak.

I would at least do a short interval and UOA, and perhaps have the coolant tank sniffed for hydrocarbons.

I hate the "?" stuff from blackstone. they should have a standard to list percentages only. I'm more inclined to think this isn't a coolant leak, but it's a Nissan. So I can't put it past them.

I like how they say "nothing heinous was occurring at the engine parts." Every once in awhile their commentary cracks me up. They probably have one analyst who's kind of a goofball. There was one on here awhile back where they called a guy's truck by it's given name.

No wonder they call it Blackstoned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back